Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
You trust Pace more than the US Census bureau?
Give him a website that says Chicago just suffered from a F5 Tornado and will never be inhabited again and he'll believe it. Gullible is written on this boy's forehead.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Do you even know what the "second city" means?
I think "sixth city" would be more accurate nowadays; don't you agree?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
I think "sixth city" would be more accurate nowadays; don't you agree?
Haha I'll take that as a no.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
3-5 range depending on what you find important and in the historical context. Don't see how it can fall to 6 though.

Chicago has numerous nicknames, which reflect the impressions and opinions about historical and contemporary Chicago. The best known include: "Chi-town"; the "Windy City" with reference to Chicago politicians and residents boasting about their city; "Second City,"[nb 2] due to the city generally being the second most prestigious in the nation in terms of culture, entertainment, and finance

This certainly was not a compliment being 2nd though...
"This was a derogatory nickname for the city used in a 1950s New Yorker article by A. J. Liebling"

Some nicknames are included in Carl Sandburg's 1916 poem "Chicago":

"Hog butcher for the world,
Tool maker, stacker of wheat,
Player with railroads and the nation's freight handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the big shoulders."

also wtf, this one...

"The Big Onion" - An homage to the original Native name for the area (which meant "onion"), in parallel with a popular New York nickname, "The Big Apple"

Last edited by grapico; 09-09-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
No, but until the Census comes out with their official estimates in 2010, I would trust Chicago regional agencies with having a pretty good sense of what's going on between decennial counts.
How do you think Pace cones up with it's estimate? They don't do an enumeration either?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
3-5 range depending on what you find important.
What are you talking about? Rankings? Chicago can be as high as 1 depending on what you find important (Ostito, if you quote me on this and respond with stupid claims, I will destroy you.)

Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Rankings? Chicago can be as high as 1 depending on what you find important (Ostito, if you quote me on this and respond with stupid claims, I will destroy you.)
Agreed, we could rank Chicago #1 if we are looking at population loss, homicides, corruption, and pollution.

But if we are looking at positive indicators, somewhere between #3 and #6 sounds reasonable. I was simply thinking population, but economic power would also fit in this general range.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
3-5 range depending on what you find important and in the historical context. Don't see how it can fall to 6 though.

Chicago has numerous nicknames, which reflect the impressions and opinions about historical and contemporary Chicago. The best known include: "Chi-town"; the "Windy City" with reference to Chicago politicians and residents boasting about their city; "Second City,"[nb 2] due to the city generally being the second most prestigious in the nation in terms of culture, entertainment, and finance

This certainly was not a compliment being 2nd though...
"This was a derogatory nickname for the city used in a 1950s New Yorker article by A. J. Liebling"

Some nicknames are included in Carl Sandburg's 1916 poem "Chicago":

"Hog butcher for the world,
Tool maker, stacker of wheat,
Player with railroads and the nation's freight handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the big shoulders."

also wtf, this one...

"The Big Onion" - An homage to the original Native name for the area (which meant "onion"), in parallel with a popular New York nickname, "The Big Apple"

You don't know what "Second City" means either.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Come again? I don't get it... What is Chicago #1 at anymore?

I just posted historical context, but you are doing the windy city thing... "residents boasting about their city"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You don't know what "Second City" means either.
Yes yes, the encylopedia is wrong too. and YOU are right...

does the word delusional ring a bell?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM

136 posts, read 235,353 times
Quote:
Agreed, we could rank Chicago #1 if we are looking at population loss, homicides, corruption, and pollution.

But if we are looking at positive indicators, somewhere between #3 and #6 sounds reasonable. I was simply thinking population, but economic power would also fit in this general range.
You are lying again. LA is considered the most polluted major city in the US.

City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

Most polluted US cities
By short-term particle pollution)
1. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2. Fresno, California
3. Bakersfield, California
4. Los Angeles, California.
5. Birmingham, Alabama
6. Salt Lake City, Utah
7. Sacramento, California
8. Logan, Utah
9. Chicago, Illinois
9. Detroit, Michigan

Most polluted US cities
(By ozone pollution)
1. Los Angeles, California
2. Bakersfield, California
3. Visalia, California
4. Fresno, California
5. Houston, Texas
6. Sacramento, California.
7. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
8. Charlotte, North Carolina
9. Phoenix, Arizona
10. El Centro, California

Most polluted US cities
(By year-round particle pollution)
1. Bakersfield, California
2. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3. Los Angeles, California
4. Visalia, California
5. Birmingham, Alabama
6. Hanford, California
7. Fresno, California
8. Cincinnati, Ohio
9. Detroit, Michigan
10. Cleveland, Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City