Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:07 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
Chicago> where you live, **** troll
A Chicago homer is mad I told the truth about "the most miserable city in the U.S."!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
A Chicago homer is mad I told the truth about "the most miserable city in the U.S."!
It's obviously your truth, but Chicago was never voted the "most miserable city."

Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Who on this planet would rep you? Or is your multiple accounts?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Haha I know what you mean, and on the other comment too.

Thanks... (seriously)

I get mad sometimes, it really shouldn't make me mad though. I just have seen people who have personally been misled and MOVED because of stuff on this site (again serious)
I know it is just isn't Chicago, but it's annoying whichever city it is, if the information isn't clear.
Very much agree with the assertion that people who post misinformation to suit some twisted personal need can do a real disservice to those who are seeking good info here when they are making major decisions like where they want to move. Usually I pretty much shrug it off when people on here knock my city. The one time I did jump on some users who were tossing the put-downs was once on either the state forum or the city sub-forum when a couple of users who were obviously amusing themselves by making put-downs gave a substantially inaccurate impression of my city in response to posts by several users seriously seeking info because they were thinking of moving there. It was really the wrong situation for that kind of trash talk.

As for what has been happening for the past 20 pages or so on this thread, I've done a little checking. Checked out the info on a former user named Dementor. Remember him? He was banned, apparently, to judge by his posts, for deliberately stirring up trouble. He seemed to take special delight in bashing Chicago. So I checked and discovered that his last post before being barred from the site was on May 19. Turns out Osito became a member here on May 23. Hmmmmm.

Also notice that until a few minutes ago Osito hadn't posted here in over six hours, several pages ago. He stopped posting right around the time several other users stopped arguing only with him and began sniping at each other. Looks kind of like maybe once people started jumping on each other it was like, mission accomplished . . . now let's just sit back and watch the fun. Guess that's why people around here sometimes offer the advice not to feed 'em. Reps to those who got things back to some civil discussion.

Last edited by ogre; 09-09-2009 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
It's obviously your truth, but Chicago was never voted the "most miserable city."
Yet ANOTHER Chicago homer claiming I never sourced a claim! Wrong again!

I'll source it YET AGAIN for your viewing pleasure!

Chicago was just ranked #1 most stressful and miserable city for 2009!

Chicago is characterized by:

Sinking property values, high unemployment and prices, and poor environments add to the pressure felt by residents.

Crowding, poor air quality, a high 11% unemployment rate and free-falling home values have created a cocktail of constant worry affecting many in the Windy City.

Source:

Full List: America's Most Stressful Cities - Forbes.com

Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Who on this planet would rep you? Or is your multiple accounts?
No, I do not use multiple accounts like you, Lakal/DNCR/IrishTom/etc.!

The people repping me are probably non-Chicago homers who appreciate the fact that I cut through the B.S. and tell the truth about Chicago!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Default Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^Chicago is clearly 3rd, or no lower than 4th, in my opinion (if DC were to be put ahead of it)

And on to nicknames...Can you really blame non-natives or non-long time Chicago residents for not knowing the etymology behind the city's nicknames?

I mean up until now, I had always thought "Windy City" meant it gets windy there from time to time (specifically in the downtown area...like massive skyscraper wind-tunnels...i could've sworn i read that somewhere). And I thought "Second city" meant: The second largest city after NYC (up until LA came onto the scene that is).

It's only natural for people uneducated on the nicknames to try and take literal meanings from them....and by the way, thanks for the education on what "second city" means, whoever it was who explained it Now what does "Windy City" actually mean?

I mean think about SF's nickname of "Baghdad by the Bay." Your average person, especially in this day and age, might assume it means this is a crazy, hectic, murderous place...but the name was coined by a locally famous columnist named Herb Caen, in the 1940's, and actually refers to the time when Baghdad was the center of culture and knowledge, thousands of years ago.
Re, your question about what Windy City refers to. This is just what I've read from time to time. I've never read it from an authoritative source like the local historical society, so I wouldn't claim to know that this is 100 percent correct, but I've read that the term refers to Chicago's history of lively and colorful politics. According to this claim, "windy" refers to all the hot wind stirred up by loud-mouthed politicians.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
No, I do not use multiple accounts like you, Lakal/DNCR/IrishTom/etc.!

The people repping me are probably non-Chicago homers who appreciate the fact that I cut through the B.S. and tell the truth about Chicago!
Lol we both know that you're just trying to start arguments. What would City-Data be without you

Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Very much agree with the assertion that people who post misinformation to suit some twisted personal need can do a real disservice to those who are seeking good info here when they are making major decisions like where they want to move.
Maybe instead of making false personal attacks, you would stay on topic and respond to my points?

Seems to me that your post is the textbook definition of trolling behavior.

If you believe I have made a false claim, state it, and I will re-post my sources. I, without fail, source ALL my claims, and I have yet to be successfully called out on one!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
Quote:
Maybe instead of making false personal attacks, you would stay on topic and respond to my points?

Seems to me that your post is the textbook definition of trolling behavior.

If you believe I have made a false claim, state it, and I will re-post my sources. I, without fail, source ALL my claims, and I have yet to be successfully called out on one!

Except for you providing data on:

Most population loss
Real Data showing Chicago population loss post 2000
Most Ghettos
Murder Capital
Mount Greenwood/Beverly being a quote "black ghetto"
Most Polluted City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City