Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM

136 posts, read 235,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That was one thing that I never really GOT while living there, how ****ing chicago centric, chicago this, chicago that, everything revolves around Chicago for many people there, frankly it was ANNOYING. And I see now why people on this site get annoyed with you guys.
Have you ever been to NYC? Good Lord, there is a lot of insularity here. Many people do not even think there is a world outside of this city. A lot of people haven't ever ventured out of this continent, country, or even region.

In big cities, it is going to happen that citizens gloat about their city. Especially, if they find they have a high quality of life in that city. It is not just a Chicago thing. It is a global thing.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 17,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
There is also extreme bias on your part. Most people know why Chicago is called the "Second City" without having to look it up. Why does one take so much time to bash a city? I don't know that I've ever done that. I will defend, however.
Why is it called "Second City"? What is the first one?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
All would probably agree that New York and LA are number one and two US cities but who is number three? Is it DC for its political imapct on the planet, Chicago or Houston for their business might, SF for culture or Boston for education?

Please vote and then support your opinion with comments and verifiable data.

Thanks,
LA is a pile of ----!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would say either Philadelphia or Chicago is the number 2 city, Houston hasnt been around long enough to be considered yet.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
There is also extreme bias on your part. Most people know why Chicago is called the "Second City" without having to look it up. Why does one take so much time to bash a city? I don't know that I've ever done that. I will defend, however.
It is called clearing up. I do this to many cities, Chicago is not the only one with strong boosterism. But nice excuse, again. Thanks for the apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Ugh the term "Second City" comes from the Chicago Fire. It destroyed a huge chunk of the city so they had to rebuild it and they called it the Second City. You know so much, yet you don't know that?

Why don't you take this up with the Chicago Historical Society, not me? Clearly they disagree. But you know better right?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:

man i hate this site sometimes. Is nobody here unbiased? Or are you all provincial cretins?

Apologies? of course not...I'm dealing with a mob.
This site is VERY provincial. Very few can offer an objective viewpoint. I wouldn't post on here if you are looking for a rational discussion.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
This site is VERY provincial. Very few can offer an objective viewpoint. I wouldn't post on here if you are looking for a rational discussion.
Haha I know what you mean, and on the other comment too.

Thanks... (seriously)

I get mad sometimes, it really shouldn't make me mad though. I just have seen people who have personally been misled and MOVED because of stuff on this site (again serious)
I know it is just isn't Chicago, but it's annoying whichever city it is, if the information isn't clear.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Haha I know what you mean, and on the other comment too.

Thanks... (seriously)

I get mad sometimes, it really shouldn't make me mad though. I just have seen people who have personally been misled and MOVED because of stuff on this site (again serious)
I know it is just isn't Chicago, but it's annoying whichever city it is, if the information isn't clear.
It definitely can get frustrating. The amount of misinformation in these forums is ridiculous. Chicago is a great city. I did my undergrad at Northwestern and fell in love with the city.

When you see someone like Osito here that makes up numbers, ignores others, champions straw man arguments, and exaggerates every fault of Chicago..... people are going to respond. He obviously is not looking for a rational discussion. His bias is 100% anti-Chicago. How do you debate with people like that? You almost have to out-troll them.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Quote:
It definitely can get frustrating. The amount of misinformation in these forums is ridiculous. Chicago is a great city. I did my undergrad at Northwestern and fell in love with the city.

When you see someone like Osito here that makes up numbers, ignores others, champions straw man arguments, and exaggerates every fault of Chicago..... people are going to respond. He obviously is not looking for a rational discussion. His bias is 100% anti-Chicago. How do you debate with people like that? You almost have to out-troll them.

That is what Houston residents have had to do on this site with the Houston trolls

I voted for chicago as #3 by the way

Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Understandable... my grandfather graduated from McCormick '51. NW also has an excellent travel vaccine hospital staff downtown...usually who I consult with still if I need something.
As for that you don't even want to talk about a few places in FL I had to clear up information on... so I know it can get worse.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM

116 posts, read 245,545 times
Quote:
That was one thing that I never really GOT while living there, how ****ing chicago centric, chicago this, chicago that, everything revolves around Chicago for many people there, frankly it was ANNOYING. And I see now why people on this site get annoyed with you guys.
Was like that when I was living in London and New York too. Almost every big city that people love to live in is like this and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City