Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City?
Seattle 72 58.06%
Los Angeles 52 41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 AM

351 posts, read 342,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
DTLA is having a boom, but it's not on DT Seattle's scale.

Within the core CBD and maybe a 15-minute walk, we're now over 30,000 housing units started since mid-2010, and over 15,000,000 sf of offices started. Plus rail projects and a major freeway bypass tunnel that will allow our waterfront viaduct and other stretches to be demolished starting this winter.
Problem with LA's DT is that many parts of it is still not walkable/simply not interesting. Seattle has a real DT and is compact with all the things you'd want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
The old part of DTLA is walkable and interesting but downtrodden.

The newish office district is boring and has a serious skybridge and onramp problem.

The area with the most new residential/hotel towers is all-new.

Less of it is a mixture of prosperous, mixed-use, and interesting. But give it time.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:35 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
LA > every other city in NA sorry just a better city. lol

Old 07-31-2018, 03:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Lived in Seattle for 12 years and loved it. Live in Los Angeles now for 7 years and counting. I would definitely choose LA in this one. Bigger isn't always better but in this case it is. Much broader variety of restaurants, shopping and shopping districts, cultural amenities, better music scene, concert venues, theaters, parks, weather (for me), public transportation and diverse population. Diverse population makes a far more interesting city
As far as downtowns, Seattle wins for now. Shopping, Pike Place Market, great dining. But DTLA is rising out of the ruins. And I like the Adaptable Reuse Initiative which is beautifully bringing old historic abandoned buildings back to life in a big way. The Regional Connector will connect three rail lines thru downtown to seamlessly take you throughout LA County.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:59 AM

351 posts, read 342,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Lived in Seattle for 12 years and loved it. Live in Los Angeles now for 7 years and counting. I would definitely choose LA in this one. Bigger isn't always better but in this case it is. Much broader variety of restaurants, shopping and shopping districts, cultural amenities, better music scene, concert venues, theaters, parks, weather (for me), public transportation and diverse population. Diverse population makes a far more interesting city
As far as downtowns, Seattle wins for now. Shopping, Pike Place Market, great dining. But DTLA is rising out of the ruins. And I like the Adaptable Reuse Initiative which is beautifully bringing old historic abandoned buildings back to life in a big way. The Regional Connector will connect three rail lines thru downtown to seamlessly take you throughout LA County.
where abouts do you live in LA? I agree when everyone says LA has broader variety of restaurants, shopping, cultural amenities, etc., but everything is so far away. In Seattle there less of all those things, but feels like there's more because you can see everything much more efficiently.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
LA > every other city in NA sorry just a better city. lol
Not above NYC

Old 07-31-2018, 02:10 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
where abouts do you live in LA? I agree when everyone says LA has broader variety of restaurants, shopping, cultural amenities, etc., but everything is so far away. In Seattle there less of all those things, but feels like there's more because you can see everything much more efficiently.
Seattle has less of those things, but a lot LOT less to even be comparable by size. DTLA for instance, compares well with all of Seattle. That’s a tiny sliver of the city, even if you choose to stay there and go no where else in LA.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:46 PM

456 posts, read 774,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Seattle has less of those things, but a lot LOT less to even be comparable by size. DTLA for instance, compares well with all of Seattle. That’s a tiny sliver of the city, even if you choose to stay there and go no where else in LA.
I can't imagine living in LA and only staying in downtown. The whole point is its multi modal. Likewise, Seattle is a medium size city and LA is much larger. So if you think bigger is better there is no point going any further: LA will always win. Seattle is never going to get anywhere near as large. That all said, I don't think downtown LA should be compared to all of Seattle and that exaggerates things a bit. Because of the state of development DTLA and downtown Seattle are more comparable than you'd expect. There are more residents, jobs etc. in DT Seattle right now although LA has a lot of potential to keep infilling. Or said another way a tourist really is likely to never leave DT while visiting vs LA where the opposite is true. BUT that doesn't exactly matter since who wouldn't take advantage of more of a city like LA than just DT?

Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not above NYC
NYC is my next city, and yes above NYC. NYC does city better than LA, and that's it!! I do love Seattle though, I just find it really hard to immerse myself in that city.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
I live downtown. I honestly don't find my life anymore difficult maneuvering around LA. I'll take a short subway ride to Hollywood or Koreatown. I can hop on the Expo Line to Santa Monica. I can do a short drive to Silverlake or Los Feliz. I also find more 24hr drugstores and supermarkets close by in LA. Major shopping areas are all over the city so that too is easy to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City