Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City?
Seattle 72 58.06%
Los Angeles 52 41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm sitting in a house on a hill in West Seattle...the floor to ceiling windows overlook downtown, the Needle and Queen Anne Hill. It's about 67 degrees, sunny and the sea lions below me are barking in the Sound. Sorry, but I'm not about to vote for Los Angeles right now.
Seattle is everything that I love in a city.
LA has mansions built on hilltops overlooking the endless expanse of LA's metro. There certainly are nice spots in Seattle, but Seattle is frankly a bit player when it comes to the opulence of LA's wealthy class. There are probably enough mansions in LA to fill more than half of Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
LA has mansions built on hilltops overlooking the endless expanse of LA's metro. There certainly are nice spots in Seattle, but Seattle is frankly a bit player when it comes to the opulence of LA's wealthy class. There are probably enough mansions in LA to fill more than half of Seattle.
What he or she was saying had nothing to do with opulence and wealth. If you've ever been to West Seattle above Alki, overlooking the sound the view is absolutely breathtaking. The great thing is that homes sitting above Alki Beach are not mega mansions or the very rich. Many of the homes are mid century ranches or two stories homes. There's even a nice park where EVERYONE can come to and enjoy the views.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What he or she was saying had nothing to do with opulence and wealth. If you've ever been to West Seattle above Alki, overlooking the sound the view is absolutely breathtaking. The great thing is that homes sitting above Alki Beach are not mega mansions or the very rich. Many of the homes are mid century ranches or two stories homes. There's even a nice park where EVERYONE can come to and enjoy the views.
Yeah, if you're up on First Hill and looking out west towards the peninsula, you get some great views:

Not many mansions up there, but it's also much more affordable (though hardly "cheap") to get that view in Seattle; you're also right there in downtown, where as the communities in the Hills in LA are set back... which may or may not be an advantage, down to individual preference.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So the wealthy class gets to enjoy the views in LA, and everyone is consigned to the grungy flatlands. Great.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
So the wealthy class gets to enjoy the views in LA, and everyone is consigned to the grungy flatlands. Great.
Not necessarily true - there are plenty of non-wealthy hillside neighborhoods in Los Angeles in addition to the upscale Hollywood Hills. Think Glassell Park, Mt. Washington, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Chinatown, City Terrace, El Sereno, Montecito Heights, Eagle Rock, Baldwin Hills, View Park. In fact, now that I look at it I think most hillside neighborhoods in Los Angeles proper are middle-to-working class, with Palisades to Hollywood Hills being the exception.

On the flipside, not all of the flatlands are grungy - Hancock Park is right in the middle of Los Angeles and is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the country.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
On the flipside, not all of the flatlands are grungy - Hancock Park is right in the middle of Los Angeles and is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the country.
I was sad to discover that my favorite house in Hancock Park, "Youngwood Court," was up for sale and had been stripped (no pun) of its numerous miniature statues of Michaelangelo's David as well as its signature wright-iron fence...

Great loss to culture... :'(

Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I was sad to discover that my favorite house in Hancock Park, "Youngwood Court," was up for sale and had been stripped (no pun) of its numerous miniature statues of Michaelangelo's David as well as its signature wright-iron fence...

Great loss to culture... :'(
I'm surprised the neighbors hadn't burned it down.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Quote:
I'm surprised the neighbors hadn't burned it down.
Reminds me of the Saudi prince in Beverly Hills who painted the statues in front of his mansion flesh tones with pubic hair. The house did burn.

grupa o.k.

It was in such bad taste I actually found the whole thing kind of refreshing and iconoclastic. It was his house. I say he could do whatever the hell he wanted. 415_s2k, I recall a while ago you were doing some renderings of iconic sites in L.A. If you can find pictures, this would be one of them. The property is still standing, BTW, at 9577 Sunset Blvd in BH.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,679 times
It's funny how Gatsby and Pwright have completely flipped sides.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:30 PM

650 posts, read 867,278 times
Los Angeles. But they are both great, it was hard for me to pick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City