Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Okay you obviously haven't gone out in DC. I honestly have yet to meet anyone in DC that works in politics or even a tourist attraction. Most people in the area work for the government, defense contractors, non-profit organizations, or regular corporations just like St. Louis has; but only a handful in actual politics on the Hill.

So yeah DC has great nightlife there are other places that have great nightlife too. At the end of the day you can get drunk just about anywhere.
Oh don't get me wrong, I have been there, I've been there 4 or 5 times. Last time I visited was in November 2002. I guess I never really saw the night-life side of it and my uncle is one of the most successful tax lawyers in the U.S...most of his friends are either high-powered judges, lawyers, or politicians. So that's why I may be biased. But don't presume to know where I have and have not been. I haven't gone out in D.C. at night though, that much I will admit to, I only toured the place in the daytime. Didn't go out at night because I was visiting relatives the whole time and not really old enough back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM

204 posts, read 635,227 times
This thread is taking a turn for the worse.

I'm going to take the time to spell out the kind of nightlife DC has so then people will be able to offer a fair opinion since we will all be on the same page, in theory anyway.

I would rate DC having better nightlife than Chicago. I can also see where someone was coming from if they said the the nightlife in both cities are comparable. I don't think anyone would try and refute that argument. However, if someone were to say that Chicago has much better nightlife than DC then I would have to wonder: is that person biased or have they really experienced nightlife in DC.

What's missing from this thread is more information on why one city is better than another. I'm not a native of DC, but I will try to post some stats on the DC nightlife in a few.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Nightlife can be broken down into so many categories. 20 somethings, thirty somethings, Asian, black, techno, jazz, bars, upscale clubs, sports bars, lounges, etc...

Chicago and Boston by far have the best bars/sports bars in the US. Miami, Vegas and NYC have the best upscale clubs. I think DC comes in under tier 2 in this category. I'm not proclaming that DC has the best of anything but there is a lot of variety and party spots all over the city. I laugh at people who think DC is all stuffy with politics and tourist. That part of DC is a small minority. You need to get off the mall and venture into the neighborhoods to have fun. Like i mentioned in an earlier post, there is a party for everybody in DC.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
D.C. certainly has a nightlife scene, but to suggest that it is in any way on the level with other cities in this nation... Well. That is ridiculous.

I'll never understand this attempt to make D.C. more important than what it is. I suppose if D.C. was all I knew, as is apparently the case for most of the posters here, it would appear impressive. But honestly, I grew up partying in Chicago, and the entire nightlife scene in D.C. would fit comfortably on one side of the street on one city block there. With room left for a good Vietnamese restaurant on the corner.

Get over your tiny little city. It's one itsy-bitsy epicenter in the midst of nothing but the endless suburbs of NoVA and Maryland.

No one is impressed. If Thievery Corporation wasn't so awesome, no one would even know it existed.

Also, Town is the club I was thinking of. Town's pretty awesome.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
It's probably because DC is a dense, and understandably, cosmopolitan city with fairly mild weather that has made great strides in terms of infrastructure and crime in the last decade or two and attracts many intelligent and ambitious people, young'uns included, due to its universities and it being the capital which in turn means having cultural institutions that rival those of far larger cities including many to which it has good transportation links. Does that sentence seem about right? I'm no DC native, so maybe I'm completely wrong. Also, Fugazi.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's probably because DC is a dense, and understandably, cosmopolitan city with fairly mild weather that has made great strides in terms of infrastructure and crime in the last decade or two and attracts many intelligent and ambitious people, young'uns included, due to its universities and it being the capital which in turn means having cultural institutions that rival those of far larger cities including many to which it has good transportation links. Does that sentence seem about right? I'm no DC native, so maybe I'm completely wrong. Also, Fugazi.
Boston's where the great universities are

Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Boston's where the great universities are
Yeah and DC has no shortage of great universities themselves. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING you have said about DC in this thread is WRONG. And I've lived in Chicago and DC and DC is just as active if not more in some places than Chicago.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy9 View Post
I use the term nightlife to refer to bars, clubs, restaurants and other fun actives which would attract someone in his early 20s.
NYC, LA, Vegas, New Orleans and maybe ATL.

Have Fun and Be Careful when you do decide to go....oh yeah, and please do tell me all about it

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'll never understand this attempt to make D.C. more important than what it is. I suppose if D.C. was all I knew, as is apparently the case for most of the posters here, it would appear impressive. But honestly, I grew up partying in Chicago, and the entire nightlife scene in D.C. would fit comfortably on one side of the street on one city block there. With room left for a good Vietnamese restaurant on the corner.
Now I've not done the nightlife in Chicago (but I have in some other cities), nor am I proclaiming that DC's nightlife scene is superior to Chicago's, but that statement is absolutely asinine. If all of the nightlife in DC--downtown, Adam's Morgan, U Street, Adam's Morgan, Georgetown, etc.--can be concentrated on one side of a Chicago city block, then that's got to be, by far, the biggest city block the world has ever seen. I think people are seriously selling DC short here.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
It's just him. He's said these same things about DC before. He thinks it's a small city when we all know it isn't the case. It is the primary city of 5.4 million people and one of the two primary cities of a wider metro area of 8.2 million people. There is NOTHING small about DC. If there was no height limit, it would probably have one of the tallest CBD's in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City