Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I moved to Atlanta due to a job transfer.
Trust me, I dont doubt that!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Attack? I am stating facts, as the proof was there for all to see. I hardly consider it an attack when someone points out the fact that a poster is fabricating stories to cloak their misery
I will back up TANaples, she is not fabricating stories, she is telling the facts that she sees first hand everyday. No need to get ugly with posters that dont share your utopian views of Orlando or Florida.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,956 times
Odd arguement, but I'll jump in for a minute.

Look, most fruit and veggies, no matter where you go, is imported. Even the farm market right by my house probably stocks about 50% imported fruit from places like Mexico, Chile, Argentina, etc., and I'm in the north. I also know that this holds true for the south, and every other region of the country outside California.

But it's okay.

Ohio can't grow Oranges or Pineapples, and Florida can't grow corn, wheat, or tomatoes, and for both areas, the list goes on. Sometimes, it is also better to grow some fruits in South America to take advantage of the tropical climate, and that also allows us to have things like tomato, cranberry, and orange juice year-round. Imported fruit is now just a way of life. Live with it.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,956 times
Oh wow, the fruit arguement ended. Sorry!!!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I will back up TANaples, she is not fabricating stories, she is telling the facts that she sees first hand everyday. No need to get ugly with posters that dont share your utopian views of Orlando or Florida.
We have been through this before, but I'll play.

When a certain poster that lives in SW Florida states as fact that not a single item of produce at their local Publix comes from within the State of Florida, that is a total fabrication. And I'm being nice.

2,413 posts, read 5,751,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Yes I am for real, and from what TANaples has been posting it seems that it is not only a Central Florida problem. I now understand why you also left Central Florida, although I am not a fan of Atlanta it is 1000 times better then Central Florida.
Really? Because I live in Central Florida and I have lived here longer then both you and TANaples and I don't see any problem . The only problem I see here is people making up some BS lies to bash an a place just becasue the area is not for them.

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
The farm stands here that I have been to do NOT grow their own produce. The have either nothing or have potted plants on their grounds. I suppose real estate is too expensive in Naples for farms. You have to go to Immokalee for farms. These are not small Mom and Pop farms but mega farms for national distribution. I have not seen these farms selling produce to the public. They probably do sell to Publix and maybe the small farm stands. Some of the Seminole reservation stores have farm stands up there, but they are very, very small. Going south from here, you don't see farms. You run into the Everglades. That isn't farm terriority. Again, the farm stands are getting their fruits and veggies from other places. One store had a sign saying their peaches were from Georgia.

We just drove back from NY last week. Our GPS took us through Gainesville. I lived there in 1971 and would never have recognized the place. It is all built up now. I used to walk back then to a farm where I would buy my veggies. That farm is gone now and there is a development now where that farm used to be. Development, development, development. This might be a topic for another thread buy it seems rural Florida is being developed away. Where there used to be small farms in these places, now there are mega farms in very rural area.

Again, this far south in Florida, 25 miles from the Everglades, is not the best place for growing, especially in the very, very hot summer, with a severe draught on top of it.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post

Look, most fruit and veggies, no matter where you go, is imported. Even the farm market right by my house probably stocks about 50% imported fruit from places like Mexico, Chile, Argentina, etc., and I'm in the north. I also know that this holds true for the south, and every other region of the country outside California.

But it's okay.

Ohio can't grow Oranges or Pineapples, and Florida can't grow corn, wheat, or tomatoes, and for both areas, the list goes on. Sometimes, it is also better to grow some fruits in South America to take advantage of the tropical climate, and that also allows us to have things like tomato, cranberry, and orange juice year-round. Imported fruit is now just a way of life. Live with it.
You are absolutely clueless. Some of the best corn and tomatos in the country are grown in Florida. They have Festivals each year celebrating both products.

Google the Zellwood Corn Festival and the Ruskin Tomato Festival, and then tell us again that they don't grow in Florida.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post

But it's okay.

Acually, there are quite a number of Tomato farms in Ruskin Florida south of Tampa

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely clueless. Some of the best corn and tomatos in the country are grown in Florida.
New Jersey has the best tomatoes in the US.

New Jersey Tomatoes: What's all the Hype About?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City