Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida being hot is it's main draw. Florida has SOOOO many activities to counter that weather. Why would anyone in Florida want seasons? In that case you SHOULD move to PA. Some like it, some don't. But that dosen't automatically make states up north more entertaining, which was my initial question. But hey, it is what it is. Everyone has a right to there opinions, but some opinions need explenations though, especially if they seem to be overexagerrated.
It's the heat/humidity and lack of adequate rainfall.....at least at Sarasota. Plus the anti-gay vote here(62%), we are moving as soon as the real estate market improves. We love the outdoors and that was a factor in moving here. However, unless you LIVE HERE....it's all an image and brochure....just stepping outside causes one to drip in sweat....forget about exertion, which makes the heat unbareable...I love to bike but between getting creamed by cars, already mentioned and the heat.....it is difficult to bicycle any amount of time. And yes I researched, before moving here and I majored in Earth Science in College......the data suggests adequate rainfall for instance.....a misnomer here in Sarasota...though it rained today. We are looking at Victoria, B.C. now. PS...many mean people in Sarasota...if you are not independantly wealthy I would not recommend moving here. We used to go to the Beaches, but the city, in it's infinite wisdom...CUT all the trees down...no shade at all...and if you bring "gear" for shade the cops nail you for "camping". Nice city! PEACE

Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Can I climb a palm tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Palm trees and beaches beat mountains imo.
Besides. I would rather have a root canal than go to a beach.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default There are different activites

Quote:
Florida being hot is it's main draw. Florida has SOOOO many activities to counter that weather. Why would anyone in Florida want seasons? In that case you SHOULD move to PA. Some like it, some don't. But that dosen't automatically make states up north more entertaining, which was my initial question. But hey, it is what it is. Everyone has a right to there opinions, but some opinions need explenations though, especially if they seem to be overexagerrated.
with 4 Seasons. Florida only has one season and only activities associated with summer. Skiing? Ice Skating? Yea, you can go to the beach, fishing, golf, etc., in the north in summer, but then you can go skiing in the winter, etc. Get tired of one season, you have the others to look foward to.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
with 4 Seasons. Florida only has one season and only activities associated with summer. Skiing? Ice Skating? Yea, you can go to the beach, fishing, golf, etc., in the north in summer, but then you can go skiing in the winter, etc. Get tired of one season, you have the others to look foward to.
I know exactly what you are saying. I am anxious for the upcoming seasons and the activities associated with each season.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I know exactly what you are saying. I am anxious for the upcoming seasons and the activities associated with each season.
Very true there is little to no variation of weather here....hot and humid or just hot. There was one Christmas(out of 20) that we did not need the air conditioner running....Imagine running the A/C on Christmas day....yuk.......it was around 85 I believe last year during the holidays. And our nearest ice skating etc. is almost 50 miles away....more to do outdoors back in Pa.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Besides. I would rather have a root canal than go to a beach.
Can you surf on a mountain?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-20-2009 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: rude, cut it out, please.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Can you surf on a mountain?
No but you can go to beautiful Ocean City, New Jersey!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
No but you can go to beautiful Ocean City, New Jersey!
Or Cocoa Beach FL . Thats where I go

Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
Or if you're in Cincy, you can go to Wake Nation

Or the other fake surfing thing at Kings Island

Anyways, we still got beaches, surfing, and warm weather up north. We also have the perfect golf courses and resorts, too. But what we have that Florida doesn't is a break from all of that for a few months a year to go skiing, have snowball fights, bad weather to give kids a day or two off school as a suprise, which adds to the fun of the day, or time to bustle around warm, festive stores in an atmosphere that actually feels DIFFERENT from that of previous months when you were at the beach building sand castles.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
FL being hot is its main draw? I don't think so. People who enjoy vacationing in FL go during the traditional tourist season of November to March. Those months have the lowest levels of humidity, and compared to more northern areas of the country, the mildest weather. Why would someone living in PA go to FL in September when the temperature is 75 and dry in PA, but 90 and humid in Orlando? No, they wait until January when it is 20 degrees in PA and 70 in Orlando. Why would someone in MA go to FL in July to go to the beach, when they can go to a beach closer to home?

But this thread is not about vacationing in FL vs the north, it's about year round living in the two places. I've lived in FL (7 summers in Miami) and in the North. For year round living and for what I enjoy as outdoor activities, the North wins it hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City