Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times

Advertisements

Depends on what your family enjoys doing.

If you enjoy outdoor activities (besides the beach) like my family does, FL is not a good place to be. Camping, bicycling, canoeing, hiking--FL's too hot, humid and buggy for most of the year to enjoy these activities. And of course forget skiing, sledding, ice skating any time of the year in FL. FL's tourist stuff is fun and different at first, but grows old quickly.

If you like being able to go to the beach most of the year, and don't mind spending the rest of your time in air-conditioned environments, FL should work for you.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,430,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nice. Very nice. But how does that qualify it as waaay better then Florida? All that looks fun, but people from up there will use all those examples to throw it in your face as to why it is so much better. I can also make a Florida list, but i'm to lazy. Seems like there is plenty to do up there, but there is just as much to do in Florida also, people just don't want to admit it.
I'm not trying to prove that our area is better than Florida. I'm simply going by the idea that any place can be "fun" depending on what you do or how you do it. Every person have different preferences so...yeah.

(I'm also replying to the fact that you didn't really visit much of our area when you were here if you stuck by the cities only. That would be like me going to Orlando only and I judge an entire state by a tourist trap.)

Old 07-18-2009, 05:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Florida, because at least their swimming pools are integrated...
That's funny and in the news; however one can counter: Sarasota for instance is a highly segregated city, voted "meanest" city to the homeless 2 years in a row(dropped to ninth this year).

Old 07-19-2009, 01:33 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
I'm not trying to prove that our area is better than Florida. I'm simply going by the idea that any place can be "fun" depending on what you do or how you do it. Every person have different preferences so...yeah.

(I'm also replying to the fact that you didn't really visit much of our area when you were here if you stuck by the cities only. That would be like me going to Orlando only and I judge an entire state by a tourist trap.)
That's what is sounds like when most people go down to FL. They always say there is nothing to do but themeparks and beaches. But that's all they went to. There is more to Florida then that. Some people just don't like hot weather so they don't WANT to do anything else.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

If you enjoy outdoor activities (besides the beach) like my family does, FL is not a good place to be. Camping, bicycling, canoeing, hiking--FL's too hot, humid and buggy for most of the year to enjoy these activities. And of course forget skiing, sledding, ice skating any time of the year in FL. FL's tourist stuff is fun and different at first, but grows old quickly.

If you like being able to go to the beach most of the year, and don't mind spending the rest of your time in air-conditioned environments, FL should work for you.
Up north you have to stay in heated environments most of the winter, because the winters up there are too unbearable. Not many people are gonna have much fun in -20 degree weather. They might have fun, I don't know. But I think it's the same way with unbearable, 100 degree weather in FL. You can go camping, canoeing, hiking, bycicling, in FL during the winter months when it isn't too hot. There is indoor ice-skating in FL, and in many other hot places. You got me with the sledding and skiing. But I still don't see most of that as a qualifcation why it is sooo much more entertaining up north as most seem to think. I'm not sayin that's what you said, but that is what others seem to think. In FL you can also go snorkling, airboating, watch the space shuttle take off, go on cruises around the carribean and latin america, and many other things, besides just sitting inside all day.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM

258 posts, read 325,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

Exactly and to compare Florida's summers to -20 below, you might get -20 one or two nights a year if your close to the canadian border. The miserable heat and humidity in Florida can be as high as 300 days a year depending on how far south you are.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,752,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post

That would just be stupid Good thing no one does that

Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 PM

501 posts, read 1,430,133 times
^ Unfortunately, some people do "think" that way when they move to some place. As ridiculous as it sounds, some people do not their homework before moving. They think they're going to some kind of "paradise" based on their visits, but they realize it's not quite a "paradise" after all. >_< ... *sighs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's what is sounds like when most people go down to FL. They always say there is nothing to do but themeparks and beaches. But that's all they went to. There is more to Florida then that. Some people just don't like hot weather so they don't WANT to do anything else.
And? Yes? I think it's quite clear to some of us that there is more to do in Fl than just beaches and theme parks.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
The Florida "summer" lasts far longer than a Pennsylvania "winter". Florida has "2" seasons...HOT and HOTTER/HUMID......Pennsylvania has 4 seasons as it should be......LOL.....just kidding on the should be part.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Florida being hot is it's main draw. Florida has SOOOO many activities to counter that weather. Why would anyone in Florida want seasons? In that case you SHOULD move to PA. Some like it, some don't. But that dosen't automatically make states up north more entertaining, which was my initial question. But hey, it is what it is. Everyone has a right to there opinions, but some opinions need explenations though, especially if they seem to be overexagerrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City