Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 PM

324 posts, read 669,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I never said it wasn't, it is still majority white no matter how you slice it.
White = French, Canadian, Italian, English, British, Polish, German, etc.

Just because Boston is primarily white doesn't mean it's not diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sigh.....it's just more of the same old, same old.

North = good.

South = bad.

Oh, and someone needs to retire diversed. It's not a real word.
I just joined this site and noticed quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Boston has one of the largest, if not the largest, Brazilian communities in the nation. Could be wrong though.
Nope, you're right. Pretty large Brazilian population in the Boston area

Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post

Keep reading. You'll see.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Boston isn't the most diverse city in the world...but to claim there is no diversity is foolish.

Sure there are lots of white people in the area. There are many Portuguese communities throughout Massachusetts/Rhode Island (especially around Narragansett Bay), along with many Irish and Italian communities. Don't get so caught up on the shade of someone's skin.
C'Mon now T-Mac, all white people are the same.

The other day I was at this Portuguese restaurant and asked the Chef if he had any Bangers and Mash, because hey they must have that on the menu. I was shocked to hear they didn't. Like, they fill out the exact same box in the census as the Irish dudes in Southie, so I figured they would all be the same.

Plus get this! They were speaking some funny language that didn't sound anything like "Irish English". It was weird, I think they were all F'in with me....

Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:

Really? I just just joined this site and noticed quite the oppostie.
The claim was made that metro Boston is not majority white. It most certainly is by the way the Census Bureau measures these things, no matter what the ethnic background may be. Do you think the Boston region has some kind of a lock on these ethnicities?

As far as your last remark, yes, you are new. Stick around a while and you will see the real story a daily basis.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Boston has one of the largest, if not the largest, Brazilian communities in the nation. Could be wrong though.
According to this study, about 17% of the American Brazilian population lives in Massachusetts...second behind Florida (22%). As of 2006, an estimated 75,000 Brazilians were living in Massachusetts, making it the fifth largest immigrant community in Mass.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Boston isn't the most diverse city in the world...but to claim there is no diversity is foolish.

Sure there are lots of white people in the area. There are many Portuguese communities throughout Massachusetts/Rhode Island (especially around Narragansett Bay), along with many Irish and Italian communities. Don't get so caught up on the shade of someone's skin.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
C'Mon now T-Mac, all white people are the same.

The other day I was at this Portuguese restaurant and asked the Chef if he had any Bangers and Mash, because hey they must have that on the menu. I was shocked to hear they didn't. Like, they fill out the exact same box in the census as the Irish dudes in Southie, so I figured they would all be the same.

Plus get this! They were speaking some funny language that didn't sound anything like "Irish English". It was weird, I think they were all F'in with me....
I don't think johnATL said anything about Boston NOT being diverse or all white people (of different ethnicities) being the same or anything of the sort. He was responding to someone else laughing at the idea of Boston's MSA having a white majority (which is statistically true--no value judgments being made).

If anything, pick on whoever it was that tried to laugh at someone else for saying something true and then trying to shunt the conversation into something else.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-16-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
I could care less if a place is majority [insert race here], but I find the Boston area to be quite diverse. The only thing I've really noticed is that more than any other city I've been too, ethnic groups tend to be separated here. The people and the cultures are here, but many people, even some metro area residents, will never see it. To get down home BBQ, Mexican or other Latin foods, or encounter people from these areas (when not on the T) I usually find myself outside the inner city, in favor of places like East Boston, Somerville, even Cambridge.

A question to ask is, what good is the diversity of a population when the culture of the population is more inaccessible (especially for tourists)? Most people I know only visit East Boston to go to the airport. It's really one of the few things that I've come to dislike about Boston, but then what can you do when the inner city is so cost prohibitive?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I could care less if a place is majority [insert race here], but I find the Boston area to be quite diverse. The only thing I've really noticed is that more than any other city I've been too, ethnic groups tend to be separated here. The people and the cultures are here, but many people, even some metro area residents, will never see it. To get down home BBQ, Mexican or other Latin foods, or encounter people from these areas (when not on the T) I usually find myself outside the inner city, in favor of places like East Boston, Somerville, even Cambridge.

A question to ask is, what good is the diversity of a population when the culture of the population is more inaccessible (especially for tourists)? Most people I know only visit East Boston to go to the airport. It's really one of the few things that I've come to dislike about Boston, but then what can you do when the inner city is so cost prohibitive?
You force everyone to breed. It's the only viable thing to do. I'm game.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM

321 posts, read 720,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

Youre right to some extent. But other than in New York City, where is that not generally the case? Even there many of the ethnic enclaves of some of the more recent immigrant groups are not in Manhattan.

The answer to your question is that it isnt good for tourists, but it is for residents.

On the flipside though, I would counter by saying that Chinatown is directly next to Boston common, the North End is touristy (though possibly no longer really ethnic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City