Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Midwest. The South is too backwards and Neo-Confederate for me
Yes I agree.That must be why NYC is loosing its black population to cities like Atlanta and Charlotte more than any other place in the U.S.

Also must be why the South has the highest percentage of blacks again since the late 1990's.
Great logic you got there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Are we living in the age of the Mayflower?

St. Louis has the country's largest Bosnian population in the US,Minneapolis has the largest Somali and Hmong population in the US, Detroit has the largest Arab population in the US,Chicago is a global city, and historically the Midwest has had the country's largest German, Swedish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Slovak, Czech and Serbian populations. And just a few days ago, the NY Times had an article about Dayton Ohio's booming Turkish community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/us...mmigrants.html

If you really study American history, no region of the country has been so influential in forging the American melting pot than the Midwest.

And there are international ports scattered around the Great Lakes for what it is worth.
Then why are all the major cities in the Midwest are the most segregated?Chicago and Milwaukee are THE most segregated cities in the U.S.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I've had plenty of experience with both cities and I would say that Atlanta has more in sheer volume, but St. Louis has superior facilities and institutions, and if both cities were the same size it wouldn't even be comparable. I do feel that Atlanta has way better business savvy and marketing though. They sold the hell out of that city. The "New South" movement in general was really just a great marketing scheme.
it was not just a "scheme".It was an investment in the city by people who made a concerted effort to change and focus on prosperity.
This one of the reason why Georgia Tech became what it is today.Atlanta led the "Industrial South".

It was the only city in the South that the mayor supported things like Civil Rights legislation.
It led in the South in that regard and the others followed.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Then why are all the major cities in the Midwest are the most segregated?Chicago and Milwaukee are THE most segregated cities in the U.S.
Many but not all, like was stated a few pages back - Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Columbus, all four of which have rapidly growing non-white populations.

I'm not going to say that the south is awful, because I like parts of it, but northerners are not the only ones who paint entire regions with a broad brush.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Well duh, I have no problem with the obvious and St. Louis can't compare with Atlanta with most things. If you don't count Texas, Atlanta is THE city in the South so you think it is a win to beat out the 11th biggest city in the Midwest?

Since we are comparing regions, I'll refer you to our friendly neighbor to the Northeast. I wouldn't even try to compare the Atl with Chicago if I were you.
Chicago is all the Midwest has. If I Compared Atlanta to Chicago . What other city in the Midwest can compete with the other Top 10 Metros Houston Dallas or Miami.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 AM

[quote=HC1980;31748006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I grew up in Chicago and is the only city I could live in as far as the midwest. I can't believe the votes are so one sided. People really have their homer hats on too tight lol. People from the midwest come to the south to retire and not the other way around. I have yet to meet anyone that has left the south to move to the midwest unless they were originally from there. The south is up and coming while many midwest cities are declining. The south has way better weather overall, greener and close to the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf. I'll take the south over the midwest anyday excluding Chicago.[/quote

The votes are one sided to YOU cause you don't agree with their opinion. With the exception of a city like ATL ( and only cause of the northern transplants) the south in general is no where near up and coming, it's very stagnant and that's not changing anytime soon. Speaking as a current resident living in the southeast the negatives of the south definitely outweigh the very few positives and I would chose the Midwest any day of the week. Is that homerism? No it's my subjective opinion. Sorry but scenery, access to the beach and weather ( minus the winters is very subjective) doesn't out weigh the numerous things I dislike.
This comment is LOADED with bias.Are you serious?LOL.You are from CHICAGO!!
Yes you are biased.You even said Atlanta is what it is because of "Northern transplants".
Odd thing to say because companies like Delta,Coke,Home Depot(an exception but they needed local talent to grow their business),TBS(CNN parent),ATT Mobility(fmr Cingular),Suntrust Bank etc..are ALL homegrown F500 companies started over 30 years ago by Southerners in most cases.

Emory University,Georgia Tech and UGA(hour North) are in the Atlanta area institutions in the South and among the best schools in the country.
North Carolina has Duke and SOO many others,then don't for get Virginia and its schools like UVA,James Madison Univerity,William and Mary(1693) etc...

Its not like Southerners never moved to NYC,Boston,Philadelphia and other cities up North and did not start many Northern Companies.A lot of those older huge companies up North made huge profits from the institution of slavery in the South.

Yes sir.You are REALLY biased indeed.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iberian Stunner View Post
Midwest by miles

- lower obesity rates
- less crime
- better education system
- I love the winters and hate humid summers loaded with bugs and snakes
- more attractive people in general due to lower obesity rates
- a lot less racist than the deep south (I used to live in Atlanta and the racism there was terrible)
- true hospitality
Racism?Ok right.
Funny how that works.Especially when the educational gap ,and economic gap are greater in the Midwest..
And why are all the major cities in the Midwest are the most segregated?
And again:why are so many blacks moving South if it SOOO racist?

Everything else you say is mostly irrelevant or subjective.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So what you're saying is that the decennial census is 100% accurate and estimates are 100% inaccurate?

I was using the 100 largest US cities. If you want to use every city, town and village in America, go for it, as there are plenty of them losing population in the South as well.

I believe I stated that most of the cities losing were in a specific part of the Midwest. This is almost entirely due to the manufacturing decline those particular cities faced. It has nothing to do with being in the Midwest, the weather or anything else. Similar conditions can be found in Alabama's cities, many of which lost population. It's about economic conditions, not a referendum on the region. The Great Plains, a big part of the Midwest, is doing fine. Look at North Dakota, for example. Its population is booming.
If I found oil in Tupelo Mississippi I suppose it wiuld be bOOMING too!lol

Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Wow you fail hard in one of the worst (typically American unfortunately) ways possible... Frankly your things that are more important to you when picking a place to live are pathetic... more fortune 500 companies and economic output is your criteria for deciding where to live? I hope you're young and without a family when you make such black and white simple minded decisions... Your post reminds me of the woman comparing GDP per capita of US states to EU countries and how she can't fathom how people can prefer living in Europe, it's sad how some people really just don't get it. I can think of a lot of metros way smaller than Atlanta which have a much higher quality of life, but I guess you can just keep telling yourself how important you are in such a tiny span of time because you have more companies that realistically have a negligible impact on your daily life (pissing contest).

Southern cities and Midwestern cities have quite a few differences and preferences on these kinds of things are pretty subjective, if all you have to talk about is Fortune 500 companies it's very clear why this conversation is too difficult for you. Cities in the South like New Orleans and Savannah are quite interesting to me; on the contrary, cities like Atlanta and Houston (while they offer plenty just like any major metro and they are perfectly fine for living or visiting) don't really appeal to me personally no matter how many people move their for work. More people are moving to the South at the moment, you and others seem to incorrectly translate this to mean they're better, so be happy, but accept that people might have other preferences and there's no reason to feel so insulted.
Sweet heart I'm a single black man who doesn't choose cities because of there history how urban the place may be or what fabulous restaurants I can eat at. Besides I don't have children nor do I care to have any.... I choose cities first based on how far I can progreess career wise. Atlanta is buisness oriented city that's why it Sits as one of the Top 10 metros. Its all about the job first. There are plenty of cultural activities in this city that I can get into here. If I want more I have the worlds busiest airport 20 mins from my house where I can get to almost anywhere.. Savannah and New Orleans are cute places to visit, but not to live .... for me that is..

Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iberian Stunner View Post
how?

please show me the statistics, the deep south is the fattest and most racist part of the entire united states. atlanta is the sorriest excuse for a city, it is just an urban area for the KKK to hang out in and have their rallies. Saw more segregation there than anywhere else.

Poll has spoken, the midwest is superior.

So Chicago is not segregated?The whole Southside of Chicago is all blacks and hispanic(non-whites).
Especially the suburbs.
Indianpolis,Milwaukee and several other cities are very segregated More than any city in the South.

Listed here are most of the major cities.ALL the cities in the Midwest have a Black-White dissimilarity index of more than 63% and as high of a score as 80% for there metros.

Atlanta is at 58.9%.NO city in the Midwest is anywhere near that.
Most Segregated Cities Census Maps - Business Insider

Quote:
In the metros with the steepest declines, segregation started high -- at around 75. These high-population metros typically saw large increases in Hispanic populations and small changes (often reductions) in Black population shares. For example, Atlanta's metropolitan segregation score declined by 17.3 points since 1980, while its Hispanic population increased by 700 percent and its Black population grew by 25 percent.

Of the ten metros experiencing the biggest reductions in black-white segregation, nine are in the south and six are in Florida. As a group, the average growth in Hispanic population was 378.4 percent, compared to 235.4 for all of the top 100 metros. Thus, big increases in Hispanic populations appear to contribute to -- or at least coincide with -- declines in black-white segregation. Las Vegas is the lone ?top tenner? outside of the south, with a decline in black-white segregation of nearly 24 percentage points
18.4% of Atlantans is the percentage of blacks and whites who live side on the same block/Neighborhoods.
6.3% Chicago
9.1% Milwaukee
13% St.Louis
6.2% Minneapolis
17% Nashville
21% Charlotte

Obviously if there was SOO much racim in Atlanta or the South,it sure seems like it would be evident in the facts.How about you provide some facts on how it is RACIST instead of trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City