Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 12:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
It is. Especially since I'm black and I see it all the time.

Just like white NYers pretending like segregation doesn't exist in their own city. Go to the club, go to the bar, hang out. Just because different ethnicities live in close proximity to each other, doesn't mean that they socially mix.

Why have there been no hispanic mayors of NYC and only one black one, if the city is predominantly non-white?

Why will you never see sizeable numbers of caucasians at any musical gathering frequented by large numbers of blacks and latinos?

Why do you not see sizeable numbers of minorities when you party at many places in the Village?

It's an AMERICAN problem. It is worse some places than others yes, but it happens everywhere. And very noticeably, everywhere.

And yes, I've been to quite a few places.
Maybe none were qualified enough or wanted to be mayor. Your forgetting how hard it is to be a mayor of a major city like NYC.

Maybe people don't want to go to a musical or can't afford one all the time. I know as an NYer most of us don't got to see broadway shows all the time. It is mostly tourist and people from elsewhere.

Clubs. There are many clubs and parties across the city. Most people go to the one close to them. Lately clubs downtown have been filled with hipsters. When was the last time most minorities had alot of money to give to their children in the future to live in a place like Manhattan based on history. If you are a minority in a club full of a majority it is most likely that no body is gonna be there due to it being a majority. Some clubs you have to pay to get in and not everyone can afford it.

Nobody acts like it doesn't exist its just the small minority.

Also due to ethnic neighborhoods it just seems like people are segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
We call it ''the city''
oh yeah that too of course, but I was more refering to if I were out of town I would say Im from "the Go". But yeah everyday talk it's "the city"

Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
More bogus stats LMAO!!! Chicago does not have more PRicans than Miami, Miami is extremely close in distance to PRico, Chicago does not have more PRicans than New York City....I seen more Puerto Ricans in a 20 minute ride through Harlem alone than I have ever seen in a whole city tour throughout Chicago. PLEASE LEAVE THE BULL**** STATS ALONE. Use your common sense for once....to even believe Chicago has the 2nd largest Rican community lets me know you have absolutely no common sense.
so you're from Chicago and you're taking city tours lots and lots of bs in this thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:30 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Maybe none were qualified enough or wanted to be mayor. Your forgetting how hard it is to be a mayor of a major city like NYC.

Maybe people don't want to go to a musical or can't afford one all the time. I know as an NYer most of us don't got to see broadway shows all the time. It is mostly tourist and people from elsewhere.

Clubs. There are many clubs and parties across the city. Most people go to the one close to them. Lately clubs downtown have been filled with hipsters. When was the last time most minorities had alot of money to give to their children in the future to live in a place like Manhattan based on history. If you are a minority in a club full of a majority it is most likely that no body is gonna be there due to it being a majority. Some clubs you have to pay to get in and not everyone can afford it.

Nobody acts like it doesn't exist its just the small minority.

Also due to ethnic neighborhoods it just seems like people are segregated.
What I've gotten from your post:

only one black person, and no hispanic, asian, or mixed-race people, have become mayor of New York because they were not qualified enough, or did not want to be mayor....okay.

Most people go to clubs close to them. Okay. So if I see a club that's predominantly black or latino, I'll assume that the surrounding area is also predominantly black or latino. So why don't other people want to integrate these clubs, if everyone lives in racial harmony?

Also minorities have limited funds with which either to live in Manhattan, or go to entertainment events.

Nice to know.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
so you're from Chicago and you're taking city tours lots and lots of bs in this thread
I live in NYC and I took the tour buses before. Trust me this city is to big for you to know nearly a quarter of everything about it. Actually the tour guide told everyone on the bus that they had a New Yorker on the bus and people cheered.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:34 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
And no I dont believe NYC is some utopia because Im sure it has its share of problems and bull**** like any other city. But what made me feel good about this place was the fact that they made me feel like I mattered, like I existed. People actually talked to me and not at me. I was in a coffee shop and carried a conversation comfortably with a white couple for hours and thats not the only instance where non-black people were inviting and friendly. That never happens in Chicago. I could walk in restaurants, bars, etc. and nobody moved a brow. For once I felt like a human being and not an unwanted alien to be tolerated. In NYC you feel like you are in the game and not on the bench watching everyone else play. Thats how it is in Chicago....you feel like certain things arent for you because you are black, and when you attempt to engage you get the cold shoulder. So if I sound a little angry its because deep down I am, I've lived in this racist hell hole for my whole life and endured a lot of bull**** on a daily basis.
I know you said NYC isn't Utopia, but I heard there are Italian neighborhoods where blacks will feel very uncomfortable. So yeah not all of NYC is ''we are the world'' scenario. Just like Chicago has the Bridgeport neighborhood.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-30-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM

197 posts, read 181,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I know you said NYC isn't Utopia, but I heard there are Italian neighborhoods where blacks will feel very uncomfortable.
Why don't you focus on what you experienced and not what you heard?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
I live in NYC and I took the tour buses before. Trust me this city is to big for you to know nearly a quarter of everything about it. Actually the tour guide told everyone on the bus that they had a New Yorker on the bus and people cheered.
yeah but he said he took a tour bus in Chicago- if you are from the area believe me there is no need to take a tour bus...

Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
What I've gotten from your post:

only one black person, and no hispanic, asian, or mixed-race people, have become mayor of New York because they were not qualified enough, or did not want to be mayor....okay.

Most people go to clubs close to them. Okay. So if I see a club that's predominantly black or latino, I'll assume that the surrounding area is also predominantly black or latino. So why don't other people want to integrate these clubs, if everyone lives in racial harmony?

Also minorities have limited funds with which either to live in Manhattan, or go to entertainment events.

Nice to know.

Missed my whole point. . For the clubs you said you will assume that the neighborhood is predominant with such and such, but you are forgetting about the ethnic neighborhoods that grew throughout history. Of course there will be areas with dominant ethnicities in NYC. When immigrants and people from the great migration came to NYC it many people just sticked together thus the ethnic neighborhoods were born. These places grew and grew and most people didn't leave. Someone from little italy isn't going to travel to Harlem to go to a club. The question you ask doesn't make sense with your statement before it. If the neighborhood is dominant therefore it would have that ethnicity as dominance. People say NYC is segregated due to the ethnic neighborhoods but its just like that based on history and the preserving of cultures. Also I never said all minorities don't have funds to live in Manhattan nor did I say minorities don't have funds to go to entertainment events. I am a minority and you know darn well that major businesses are sometimes racist and within our communities drugs, violence, and stronger peer pressure in pop culture today is keeping our communities from prospering. Tell me how Queens is the only county in the country where the median income for African Americans is up to $53,000. There was this documentary about African Americans and it was showing how government agencies in the past, as well as other people and things, were trying to break down the African American communities, main example harlem, with drugs and corruption against our own people. This was on CBS(a NYC company) I think.

Actually there are other documentaries as well such as The Black List where even Chris Rock admitted that blacks don't have an equal right. In his neighborhood in LA there are only like 3 black people including Mary J Blige and someone else famous, I forgot, but the White person next to him was just a doctor.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
And lets remember something. NYC is 1st premier city of the US and the largest. Almost every country most largest city always likely going to be the most racial diverse or multicultural. So if anything, NYC is more diverse than Chicago. I think the OP miss that concept. And we are in the US, segregation is regular here. I bet you Toronto is way more integrated than NYC

If you really want to know how segregated a city here is a website below
CensusScope: Census 2000 Data, Charts, Maps, and Rankings

I research this topic before and some sites say NYC is slightly more segregated than Chicago. And Chicago is not the most segregated city anymore. Milwaukee, Cleveland, and maybe even Philly is more segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City