Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
You never been to NYC as I suspected but yet you just posted some bull**** statistic saying NY was more segregated than Chicago which is insanity. So basically you will say anything to defend Chicago. You are ridiculous. Like I said you will probably rot in Harvey, afraid to leave 60426.
STHU I been to many major US cities, just not NYC yet. Tell us what neighborhoods you been to?

You act like there is no integrated areas in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, LI, and Jersey. I used to live in Ny in 04 so Im no stranger. I also lived in Jersey.

And you really don't think it's segregated at all, interesting.

I would actually say Jersey is one of the most integrated states in the country (even though it has places that really aren't).

But in the city, I've definitely been places where either I didn't feel totally comfortable, or my native NYer friends said "I've never been here/I never go here normally."

The cool thing about NY is that you can go to a different neighborhood and feel like you're somewhere totally different, like Flatbush for West Indians, or the South Bronx for Dominican/Puerto Ricans, Corona for Colombians, Flushing for Chinese people. But how it gets that way is by people segregating themselves to some degree...

Old 08-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post

I would actually say Jersey is one of the most integrated states in the country (even though it has places that really aren't).

But in the city, I've definitely been places where either I didn't feel totally comfortable, or my native NYer friends said "I've never been here/I never go here normally."

The cool thing about NY is that you can go to a different neighborhood and feel like you're somewhere totally different, like Flatbush for West Indians, or the South Bronx for Dominican/Puerto Ricans, Corona for Colombians, Flushing for Chinese people. But how it gets that way is by people segregating themselves to some degree...
These fool think NYC is totally integrated. I know Chicago is segregated as hell, but I know for sure NYC have segregation and I'm not talking about social class either.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,684 times
Quote:
Still don't know where you got it from, then....

Dekalb County GA:

728,987 people
of those, 394,676 (54.1%) are black

DeKalb County, Georgia - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
I put the wrong percentage. I need to get a new computer.

Quote:
Prince George's County, MD

816,325 people
of those 534,297 (64.1%) are black

(Also from Factfinder)
Also from fact finder I got it right its just a little bit more towards 2007 it went up then back down in 2008.

Prince George's County, Maryland - Population Finder - American FactFinder

Old 08-30-2009, 01:49 PM

197 posts, read 181,608 times
Quote:
You never been to NYC as I suspected but yet you just posted some bull**** statistic saying NY was more segregated than Chicago which is insanity. So basically you will say anything to defend Chicago. You are ridiculous. Like I said you will probably rot in Harvey, afraid to leave 60426.
Geez, I used to have Black drinking buddies in New York but the time I came to Chicago I discovered that besides occasional mingling at work or in the Loop, Chicago is not one but two separate cities. Black Chicago and White Chicago. You can spend lifetime in Lincoln Park or anywhere North and not even be aware of the huge Black population in the city.
It's not about the statistics, it's about he mindset. It's about the hidden, "liberal" racism. "We may vote for a Black president as long as he stays in Hyde Park or in Washington but we do not want him in to our neighborhood..." Yes, Obama did not live in Gold Coast or Licoln Park. He lived in Hyde Park! Why? I know for you guys it is natural but as an outsider I ask again. Why did Obamas live in Hyde Park of all the nice places in Chicago???

Read the Chicago Tribune article I referred to. C'mon, this is so much XIX I can't believe Chicago is still stuck in the old routine... You even talk about be an enlighted city? Why?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Quote:
Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, LI, and Jersey. I used to live in Ny in 04 so Im no stranger. I also lived in Jersey.
Oh, really?

I thought you just came "fresh" from New York and were a "lifelong, proud Chicagoan". Is that what your first post said?

Now excuse me while I go to Toys R Us and by some trolls.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafster View Post
oh, really?

I thought you just came "fresh" from new york and were a "lifelong, proud chicagoan". Is that what your first post said?

Now excuse me while i go to toys r us and by some trolls.
lmbao

Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:

As I stated before remember in NYC immigrants came in packs and stuck together. They came and settled down in one part of the city and really most people never left so generations were born after the last with out really moving. So they brought all there cultural things and grew with in their neighborhoods. Nothing to do with segregation or Today for that matter. Its just the preservation of a community and culture.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Oh, really?

I thought you just came "fresh" from New York and were a "lifelong, proud Chicagoan". Is that what your first post said?

Now excuse me while I go to Toys R Us and by some trolls.
They might not have it in Chicago but they definitely have it in the one in Times Square.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Geez, I used to have Black drinking buddies in New York but the time I came to Chicago I discovered that besides occasional mingling at work or in the Loop, Chicago is not one but two separate cities. Black Chicago and White Chicago. You can spend lifetime in Lincoln Park or anywhere North and not even be aware of the huge Black population in the city.
It's not about the statistics, it's about he mindset. It's about the hidden, "liberal" racism. We may vote for a Black president as long as he stays in Hyde Park or in Washington but we do not want him to come to our neighborhood... Yes, Obama did not live in Gold Coast or Licoln Park. He lived in Hyde Park! Why?

Read the Chicago Tribune article I referred to. C'mon, this is so much XIX I can't believe Chicago is still stuck in the old routine... You even talk about be an enlighted city? Why?

Do you really think that people mingle in New York? Cause I haven't seen it when I was there. Yes you may live in adjoining (if prob not the same) neighborhood, work together, or ride the train together, but when you socialize, go to church, the mosque, synagogue, temple, go to the club, go to the Yankees or Mets game, or do anything else, it's usually segmented by race. That's what I have seen all over in America.

And, no you can't live in a dream world. Just like if you live on the Upper West Side of NY, yes you can live in your bubble of wealth and yuppiedom, but when you inevitably go anywhere....

Say, you ride the El or go anywhere else on the North Side, you will see black people. There are definitely black people on the North Side, so I don't know what you're on.

So Hyde Park isn't a neighborhood that has racial integration or is seen as desireable by Chicagoans now? WTF...

Seriously, you saying that you have "black friends" means nothing. I'm sure most white people in Chicago would say the same thing. It doesn't mean that you are not necessarily biased, blind, or unaccepting of real diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City