Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:48 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
More people are moving OUT of Florida than moving IN. Florida is your parents/grandparents haven. Not anymore.

Of course, real estate agents don't want to recognize this.
I agree:

Is Florida Losing Its Appeal Among Retirees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM

315 posts, read 666,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sure in the past ONE year though, but for the decade it's up several million. It's funny how FL loses population, a very small amount too, in ONE year during a horrible recession and people want to act like it's the end of the state but conveniently ignore their own home states domestic population losses that have occurred over decades.

New York State has been losing people for decades at a much higher rate than any other state. Of course homers don't want to recognize this either.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

First, your information only tells half the story. Although, NY state has been losing people domestically, it still benefits from an overall increase in population due to international immigration. So, NY State has actually been increasing in population.
New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secondly, most of the "homers" you are arguing with associate themselves more with NYC and its metro -- and both have been growing at healthy rates. And has already been pointed out (by DailyJournalist here and I on other thread), NYC still draws more people than anywhere else in the country (this includes Orlando, Miami or any city in Florida).

Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
First, your information only tells half the story. Although, NY state has been losing people domestically, it still benefits from an overall increase in population due to international immigration. So, NY State has actually been increasing in population.
As does Florida and other states like CA.

I said NY has had a DOMESTIC net population loss, not overall population loss.

Quote:
Secondly, most of the "homers" you are arguing with associate themselves more with NYC and its metro -- and both have been growing at healthy rates.
Yes and that is due to immigration and births as well, not people moving in from other parts of the country.

Quote:
And has already been pointed out (by DailyJournalist here and I on other thread), NYC still draws more people than anywhere else in the country (this includes Orlando, Miami or any city in Florida).
Sure in absolute numbers, maybe being the largest city in the country by far has something to do with that. Per capita, it is not drawing more people than many other cities.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
And you are fibbing, fibbing fibbing..

So in this most enlightening statement where did you actually say that NY State has been suffering only a domestic loss? You clearly didn't say what you meant.. or you could just be backpedaling.
Reading comprehension helps here:

Quote:
Sure in the past ONE year though, but for the decade it's up several million. It's funny how FL loses population, a very small amount too, in ONE year during a horrible recession and people want to act like it's the end of the state but conveniently ignore their own home states domestic population losses that have occurred over decades.
So now that you can't argue facts you try to get me on semantics to try to prove something, typical....

Quote:
Or it could be because it is the most popular cosmopolitan city in the US?
If that was the case then you'd think it would have a net domestic population increase. It can't even keep it's NATIVE residents, let alone attract new ones from other parts of the country to offset all the ones leaving.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default The fact still remains that the ONLY draw

Quote:

So now that you can't argue facts you try to get me on semantics to try to prove something, typical....

If that was the case then you'd think it would have a net domestic population increase. It can't even keep it's NATIVE residents, let alone attract new ones from other parts of the country to offset all the ones leaving.
of Florida is for warm weather for retirees/snowbirds. OLD PEOPLE. Even that is losing its appeal now.

NY still has a diversified economy and because of that even in bad economic times, is hands over Florida's tourist, service, minimum wage job economy. This state is living in the 1950s and is not going to recover unless it reinvents itself to more of a young familes JOB oriented society.

They don't see to be doing that and are still stuck with the status quo. They will suffer because of it. Wait for the 2010 Census and you can then argue all you want. I, among other, will hopefully not be counting as living in this state then.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:

I admit I didn't read the first paragraph in entirety. For that, I apologize. However, when I read your next statement, and it seemed that you were talking about net pop loss (since you didn't state "domestic" in the following statement), I misinterpreted and jumped the gun early... Heck, it happens to the best of us.

Quote:
It doesn't follow that a cosmopolitan city would (or even should) necessarily have a "domestic" population increase. So it looks like you suffer from poor reading comprehension as well.

I said "COSMOPOLITAN" for a reason. Cosmopolitan means "international, wordly..".. It's the antithesis of domestic in a way.. A major function of NYC, as a cosmopolitan city, is to attract many, many people from all around the world.
The state's domestic population loss is offset by an international population gain (largely in the city).

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-18-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
of Florida is for warm weather for retirees/snowbirds. OLD PEOPLE. Even that is losing its appeal now.

NY still has a diversified economy and because of that even in bad economic times, is hands over Florida's tourist, service, minimum wage job economy. This state is living in the 1950s and is not going to recover unless it reinvents itself to more of a young familes JOB oriented society.

They don't see to be doing that and are still stuck with the status quo. They will suffer because of it. Wait for the 2010 Census and you can then argue all you want. I, among other, will hopefully not be counting as living in this state then.
I agree with much of what you say here to a certain extent, I think this may be a big wake up call for Florida to do something about it's tourist oriented economy and to not rely so much on just growth alone.

I just don't think it has some rust belt status that some people are trying to put on it already. It has problems but not ones it can't over come and it still will have that draw of the climate/beaches, etc at the end of the day. People have said CA was done as a state many times in the past and it bounces back, time will tell if Florida can do the same.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I admit I didn't read the first paragraph in entirety. For that, I apologize. However, when I read your next statement, and it seemed that you were talking about net pop loss (since you didn't state "domestic" in the following statement), I misinterpreted and jumped the gun early.
Understandable, when I reread what I wrote I can see how you missed that. I didn't make it as clear as I probably should have.

Quote:
It doesn't follow that a cosmopolitan city would (or even should) necessarily have a "domestic" population increase. So it looks like you suffer from poor reading comprehension as well.

I said "COSMOPOLITAN" for a reason. Cosmopolitan means "international, wordly..".. It's the antithesis of domestic in a way.. NYC, as a cosmopolitan city, attracts many, many people from all around the world.
The state's domestic population loss is offset by an international population gain (largely in the city).
That's nice and all. Look, I don't revel in the population loss of other places. I just think it is hypocritical to boast about the population loss of one place, a place several posters on here hate, while conveniently ignoring the same situation that occurs in their home states.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
I remember reading somewhere that there are more people moving from New York to Florida than any other state to another state or something like that.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858
That's nice and all. Look, I don't revel in the population loss of other places. I just think it is hypocritical to boast about the population loss of one place, a place several posters on here hate, while conveniently ignoring the same situation that occurs in their home states.
But we had been discussing net population loss (or at least I was) not domestic population loss... I think you brought that up later in the midst of a discussion about Florida's likely net population loss post 2007.
The bottom line is neither NYC nor NY State currently appear to be suffering the net pop loss that Florida is apparently experiencing...And as you and TANaples have already alluded to, if Florida's economy doesn't diversify a bit, things may look grim for the state in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous92
I remember reading somewhere that there are more people moving from New York to Florida than any other state to another state or something like that.
Yes, this is true... At least in 2000 and 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-18-2009 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City