Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Do you ever notice how I post things that are quantifiable yet you always come up with some story to counter it?

I showed, through the presence of C&W bars, that there was indeed some NYers emulating southerners.

You countered with, "It's for the transplants", with no verifiable proof that it is indeed for the transplants.

If I now say that I know many people in NYC that wear cowboy hats and listen to country music, would you believe me?
Hmmm????? Of course, I am countering you, because you want to make the point that the SOUTH is KING. It isn't in Northern places. It is really just for TRANSPLANTS from the South.

Personally, I would rather listen to LATIN MUSIC, which has been around for generations in NYC, than C&W. If you want to find an influence in the NYC Metro area, it will be LATIN influcence, not SOUTHERN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Thats funny, seems to me if it wasn't for a gain from births minus deaths NYC would have lost population just about every year over the last 10 years or more.

If you have about 125,000 births a year and 45,000 deaths a year for a net of about 80,000 and your population only increases by 40,000 or so, does that not mean more people are leaving than coming in. (Rough numbers off the top of my head but close enough)

How do these transplants you speak of fit into the eqaution?
Big Apple Bigger Still With Largest Population Gain: Census

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When was the last time you were in NYC?Hmmm????? Of course, I am countering you, because you want to make the point that the SOUTH is KING. It isn't in Northern places. It is really just for TRANSPLANTS from the South.

Personally, I would rather listen to LATIN MUSIC, which has been around for generations in NYC, than C&W. If you want to find an influence in the NYC Metro area, it will be LATIN influcence, not SOUTHERN.
I have been in NY within the last year.

I don't see what difference that makes though.

It doesn't take away from the fact that there are in fact C&W bars in NYC and some there try to emulate southerners.

I also don't see what I said made you think I was saying the south was king unless it is the fact that many of you get bent out of shape when you are shown that NYC isn't the be all, end all.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Actually that article just reinforces what he was saying:

"Historically, New York City has had residents moving out to the other states in the country, a departure offset by an immigrant population moving in as well as new births."

Old 09-18-2009, 05:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You have a habit of proving me right again and again.

If NYC averages around 125,000 births and
......................around 45,000 deaths then without any in or out migration
the net gain would be....80,000.

If they gained just 53,000 in population then that means more people left than entered.

Net gain from births less deaths...80,000
Net population gain....................53,000
Out migration of .......................27,000

Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM

315 posts, read 666,639 times
Quote:
Thats funny, seems to me if it wasn't for a gain from births minus deaths NYC would have lost population just about every year over the last 10 years or more.

If you have about 125,000 births a year and 45,000 deaths a year for a net of about 80,000 and your population only increases by 40,000 or so, does that not mean more people are leaving than coming in. (Rough numbers off the top of my head but close enough)

How do these transplants you speak of fit into the eqaution?
Whether through transplants, legal immigration, or high birth rates, New York City is still increasing in population. The "how" doesn't really matter. Inflows are still greater than outflows.

Worse off is your precious Florida -- where in spite of incoming transplants, legal immigrants, and births, the net result is likely a decrease in population over the past couple of years (or, at best, steady population). And you, mr. real estate agent, will officially see that come next year's Census.

You can be in denial all you want (with house prices dropping like mad and studies alluding to a statewide population decrease) but you know in your heart it is true. So quit being a poor sport and stop the hating.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-18-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Worse off is your precious Florida -- where in spite of incoming transplants, legal immigrants, and births, the net result is likely a decrease in population over the past decade (or, at best, steady population). And you, mr. real estate agent, will officially see that come next year's Census.
What are you talking about? Florida will still have a population gain of a few million for the decade. It started off the decade with just under 16 million in 2000 and currently is estimated at around 18.3 million for 2008.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
More people are moving OUT of Florida than moving IN. Florida is your parents/grandparents haven. Not anymore.

Of course, real estate agents don't want to recognize this.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM

315 posts, read 666,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858
What are you talking about? Florida will still have a population gain of a few million for the decade. It started off the decade with just under 16 million in 2000 and currently is estimated at around 18.3 million for 2008.
^ Well, ok, it did experience substantial growth the first several years --After all, Florida's population woes are a recent phenomenon.. However by next year's Census I bet that the final numbers will be something less than what the population was in 2008 (18.3 million).

What's left to see is just how long this population decrease/leveling will continue...Will it continue into the next decade?

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-18-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
More people are moving OUT of Florida than moving IN. Florida is your parents/grandparents haven. Not anymore.

Of course, real estate agents don't want to recognize this.
Sure in the past ONE year though, but for the decade it's up several million. It's funny how FL loses population, a very small amount too, in ONE year during a horrible recession and people want to act like it's the end of the state but conveniently ignore their own home states domestic population losses that have occurred over decades.

New York State has been losing people for decades at a much higher rate than any other state. Of course homers don't want to recognize this either.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City