U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
New York 63 52.07%
New Jersey 58 47.93%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,970 posts, read 12,591,887 times
Reputation: 2492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
North of Albany... so the Adirondack mountains with hundreds of lakes and many ski resorts? Not very country. Only a part of the state.
sorry, i meant very rural. my bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
4,476 posts, read 5,144,637 times
Reputation: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
NY state is overrated...anything north of albany is country

NJ is the REAL new york state..
General Stark, you usually make good sense but here I think you lost your marbles!

New York State is overrated.... because it has rural areas north of Albany? Possibly the dumbest comment I seen in a long time here on city data.

Lets see what NY has north of Albany that makes it is so overrated. Hmmm Lake George, The Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, The Thousand Islands, Lake Placid, Ticonderoga, Saratoga Springs....yup these horrible rural areas are such an embarrassment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Shawnee, KS
1,174 posts, read 923,360 times
Reputation: 1140
there is a whole bunch to do in new york and in NJ but I like nj better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 4,242,053 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Upstate NY is absolutely beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
General Stark, you usually make good sense but here I think you lost your marbles!

New York State is overrated.... because it has rural areas north of Albany? Possibly the dumbest comment I seen in a long time here on city data.

Lets see what NY has north of Albany that makes it is so overrated. Hmmm Lake George, The Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, The Thousand Islands, Lake Placid, Ticonderoga, Saratoga Springs....yup these horrible rural areas are such an embarrassment!
I am a NYC native (Manhattan) and spent 20 years raising my kids on LI. I had never been to upstate NY until my younger daughter starting playing Ice Hockey and had to travel to games/tournaments/states all over upstate NY. She also transferred to SUNY Cortland in her Junior year. As a downstate residant of over half a century I had no idea what a great state NY really is until then.

There is a whole other other world in this state outside of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,262 posts, read 7,780,815 times
Reputation: 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am a NYC native (Manhattan) and spent 20 years raising my kids on LI. I had never been to upstate NY until my younger daughter starting playing Ice Hockey and had to travel to games/tournaments/states all over upstate NY. She also transferred to SUNY Cortland in her Junior year. As a downstate residant of over half a century I had no idea what a great state NY really is until then.

There is a whole other other world in this state outside of NYC.
I'm going to Albany SUNY next year (as a first choice) because I love upstate NY, more so than a lot of NJ (mostly SNJ), I just never spent enough time there to really see what it's like.
So the main reason why i chose to move there next year is because it's a place I always loved, but I'm just ignorant to the lifestyle.
So I'll just see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Albany (school) NYC (home)
893 posts, read 1,820,024 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm going to Albany SUNY next year (as a first choice) because I love upstate NY, more so than a lot of NJ (mostly SNJ), I just never spent enough time there to really see what it's like.
So the main reason why i chose to move there next year is because it's a place I always loved, but I'm just ignorant to the lifestyle.
So I'll just see how it goes.
Yo bro come here. Im a freshman at SUNY Albany. I love it here its a great school, and the parties aren't bad.

Anyway New York wins for me. Sorry I'm pretty biased. But New Jersey is awesome in its own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,262 posts, read 7,780,815 times
Reputation: 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Yo bro come here. Im a freshman at SUNY Albany. I love it here its a great school, and the parties aren't bad.

Anyway New York wins for me. Sorry I'm pretty biased. But New Jersey is awesome in its own way.
Thanks for the input, I was just talking about the college with my guidance counselor today, it definitely looks great, but I just havn't heard good things about the city of Albany.
You have any input on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
 
16 posts, read 17,813 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahvenoname View Post


Uh, not even close. NJ is a very suburban state, and I have friends who live in places like Sparta, which is pretty much up in the mountains. And these kinds of towns are not unusual. I think it's pretty safe to say that NJ is mostly suburban. There are some urban places, yeah, but they aren't the majority. Unless I've been blind for the past twelve years.
That's northern NJ where the least people live in the state (besides Bergen). NJ's size compared to NY, is a whole lot less. Oh, and it's great there's breathtaking mountains, but they're only nice to look at for about a couple days, or at least in my opinion. I've been all over the U.S., and in my opinion NYC is all that NY has. You can say, "You haven't been there before!!!" or anything else, but I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Albany (school) NYC (home)
893 posts, read 1,820,024 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Thanks for the input, I was just talking about the college with my guidance counselor today, it definitely looks great, but I just havn't heard good things about the city of Albany.
You have any input on that?
Yeah its basically a dump. But the only reason people really go downtown is to party, or go to Mary Janes bookstore. I haven't even really been around the city of Albany that much. But UAlbany will give you that college experience you see on television. Plus its relatively cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,880 posts, read 9,687,321 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Yo bro come here. Im a freshman at SUNY Albany. I love it here its a great school, and the parties aren't bad.

Anyway New York wins for me. Sorry I'm pretty biased. But New Jersey is awesome in its own way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Thanks for the input, I was just talking about the college with my guidance counselor today, it definitely looks great, but I just havn't heard good things about the city of Albany.
You have any input on that?
Wow, I just went to the SUNY college fair at the Javits Center yesterday, the Albany table was among the most crowded, I had to rush the crowd to get through lol, it must be a good school .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top