Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
New York 65 51.59%
New Jersey 61 48.41%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
North of Albany... so the Adirondack mountains with hundreds of lakes and many ski resorts? Not very country. Only a part of the state.
sorry, i meant very rural. my bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
NY state is overrated...anything north of albany is country

NJ is the REAL new york state..
General Stark, you usually make good sense but here I think you lost your marbles!

New York State is overrated.... because it has rural areas north of Albany? Possibly the dumbest comment I seen in a long time here on city data.

Lets see what NY has north of Albany that makes it is so overrated. Hmmm Lake George, The Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, The Thousand Islands, Lake Placid, Ticonderoga, Saratoga Springs....yup these horrible rural areas are such an embarrassment!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times
there is a whole bunch to do in new york and in NJ but I like nj better

Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Upstate NY is absolutely beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
General Stark, you usually make good sense but here I think you lost your marbles!

New York State is overrated.... because it has rural areas north of Albany? Possibly the dumbest comment I seen in a long time here on city data.

Lets see what NY has north of Albany that makes it is so overrated. Hmmm Lake George, The Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, The Thousand Islands, Lake Placid, Ticonderoga, Saratoga Springs....yup these horrible rural areas are such an embarrassment!
I am a NYC native (Manhattan) and spent 20 years raising my kids on LI. I had never been to upstate NY until my younger daughter starting playing Ice Hockey and had to travel to games/tournaments/states all over upstate NY. She also transferred to SUNY Cortland in her Junior year. As a downstate residant of over half a century I had no idea what a great state NY really is until then.

There is a whole other other world in this state outside of NYC.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am a NYC native (Manhattan) and spent 20 years raising my kids on LI. I had never been to upstate NY until my younger daughter starting playing Ice Hockey and had to travel to games/tournaments/states all over upstate NY. She also transferred to SUNY Cortland in her Junior year. As a downstate residant of over half a century I had no idea what a great state NY really is until then.

There is a whole other other world in this state outside of NYC.
I'm going to Albany SUNY next year (as a first choice) because I love upstate NY, more so than a lot of NJ (mostly SNJ), I just never spent enough time there to really see what it's like.
So the main reason why i chose to move there next year is because it's a place I always loved, but I'm just ignorant to the lifestyle.
So I'll just see how it goes.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm going to Albany SUNY next year (as a first choice) because I love upstate NY, more so than a lot of NJ (mostly SNJ), I just never spent enough time there to really see what it's like.
So the main reason why i chose to move there next year is because it's a place I always loved, but I'm just ignorant to the lifestyle.
So I'll just see how it goes.
Yo bro come here. Im a freshman at SUNY Albany. I love it here its a great school, and the parties aren't bad.

Anyway New York wins for me. Sorry I'm pretty biased. But New Jersey is awesome in its own way.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Yo bro come here. Im a freshman at SUNY Albany. I love it here its a great school, and the parties aren't bad.

Anyway New York wins for me. Sorry I'm pretty biased. But New Jersey is awesome in its own way.
Thanks for the input, I was just talking about the college with my guidance counselor today, it definitely looks great, but I just havn't heard good things about the city of Albany.
You have any input on that?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 PM

16 posts, read 31,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahvenoname View Post

Uh, not even close. NJ is a very suburban state, and I have friends who live in places like Sparta, which is pretty much up in the mountains. And these kinds of towns are not unusual. I think it's pretty safe to say that NJ is mostly suburban. There are some urban places, yeah, but they aren't the majority. Unless I've been blind for the past twelve years.
That's northern NJ where the least people live in the state (besides Bergen). NJ's size compared to NY, is a whole lot less. Oh, and it's great there's breathtaking mountains, but they're only nice to look at for about a couple days, or at least in my opinion. I've been all over the U.S., and in my opinion NYC is all that NY has. You can say, "You haven't been there before!!!" or anything else, but I have.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,904 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input, I was just talking about the college with my guidance counselor today, it definitely looks great, but I just havn't heard good things about the city of Albany.
Yeah its basically a dump. But the only reason people really go downtown is to party, or go to Mary Janes bookstore. I haven't even really been around the city of Albany that much. But UAlbany will give you that college experience you see on television. Plus its relatively cheap.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post

Quote:
Wow, I just went to the SUNY college fair at the Javits Center yesterday, the Albany table was among the most crowded, I had to rush the crowd to get through lol, it must be a good school .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City