Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is MORE Southern,Dallas or Atlanta?Why?
Dallas 14 18.42%
Atlanta 62 81.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry but I find Dallas to be more country and slower in pace than Houston. That's me though. People in Dallas still wear leather shorts and shags. Think about that for a minute.

One time, I went to Big T Bazaar, and what some of those folks had on, it was like the land that time forgot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry but I find Dallas to be more country and slower in pace than Houston. That's me though. People in Dallas still wear leather shorts and shags. Think about that for a minute.
I somewhat agree with this statement.

DFW is more country that Metro Houston. I dont necesarily think either Dallas or Houston proper are country at all. Although if I had to choose one I would say Dallas is more country and Houston is more southern.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

One time, I went to Big T Bazaar, and what some of those folks had on, it was like the land that time forgot.
Oh than you must take a trip to King's Market in Houston lol

It's Houston equivalent to Big T's

Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I somewhat agree with this statement.

DFW is more country that Metro Houston. I dont necesarily think either Dallas or Houston proper are country at all. Although if I had to choose one I would say Dallas is more country and Houston is more southern.
I agree. Houston does feel more fast-paced and less country than Dallas, but Houston is more southern.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
What kind of thread is this?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:57 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
But what defines Texan? and for that matter what defines Southern? and where do those characteristics intersect and diverge?
Interesting question! And at least so far as "what defines Southern", there was a good thread on it at one time:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-southern.html

But as to your direct question of the merger/divergence of Texas and the other states which made up the Old Confederacy? I would say -- off the top of my head -- the following (noting that East Texas is an exception, as it is where the Deep South begins):

Differences:

1. A frontier western culture as opposed to ante-bellum eastern. Ranching, cattle and cowboys.

2. Generally speaking, less of an obscession/identification with "being Southern" than "being Texan." The two connect, of course. Let a "yankee" get obnoxious and bad-mouth the South in Texas, and they will find the fight they are looking for. Which indicates, even if latently, that most Texans feel themselves part of the South in some form or fashion. Or at least instinctively know non-Southerners see it that way and they percieve an attack on the South as an attack on Texas. I don't really know how to explain this one...but I have seen it work before.

3. Topography. Most of Texas doesn't fit that moonlight and magnolias image. Forests of any sort -- while definitely more prevelant than Hollywood westerns present -- are not the general rule in Texas (again, East Texas being the exeption).

4. Size. As "Acidman" (may he RIP), once said: Texas is just TOO DAMN BIG to be truly Southern. LOL

5. Diversity. Unlike most Southern states (Louisiana is a noteable exception with its Cajun/French population), Texas has always had at least a sizeable Mexican and German influence. The former is NOT like that of the true Interior Southwest (which Texas is not part of) , but it exists in a way which it doesn't elsewhere in the South.

KINSHIP:

1. Settlement patterns: Texas was settled overwhelmingly -- both ante and post-bellum -- by pioneers/adventurers from the American Southeast. Hell, there is an old barb I once read where some wag from Georgia said to some northerner: We Southerners sent our embarrassing and insane kin to Texas...where did you yankees send y'alls? LMAO

2. Cotton culture. Texas was very much part of the old Southern "Cotton Belt". For all its iconic legend in movies, it was not cattle but cotton that played the dominant role in state agriculture for many years.

3. Speech -- "Texas tawk" is just one of many sub-varities of what is broadly known as "Southern American English".

4. Religion -- The Southern Baptist Church is easily the largest Protestant denomination in the state.

5. The Confederacy: Even though Texas is not the state in which Confederate traditions have lived most strongly, it was a charter member of the CSA. Confederate Heroes Day is an official state holiday and monuments to the Confederacy exist on almost all county courthouse grounds (even out in El Paso). And quite a few Texas high schools are named after Confederate heroes and adopt the "Rebels" mascot and use "Dixie" as a fight song.

6. Traditions; Tex-Mex is Texican, but most Texas "home cookin" is a direct decendant of those brought by our southeastern antecedents. BBQ, catfish, fried okra, black-eyed peas on New Years Day (particularly noteable), iced tea consumed by the gallons. Family reunions and the notion of the extended family.

7. Self-Identification: THIS one might be the most important of all. Every "scientific" survey ever done indicates that the vast majority of Texans consider themselves to live in the South and be Southerners.

Ok...I am through. If there is anyone out there still awake after reading this long-winded speel of mine, please forgive me for running on so long!

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-10-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
This has gotten ridiculous...

DOES SOMEONE WANT TO TELL ME WHAT SOUTHERN QUALITIES YOU WILL FIND IN ATLANTA THAT YOU WON'T FIND IN DALLAS??

Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

DOES SOMEONE WANT TO TELL ME WHAT SOUTHERN QUALITIES YOU WILL FIND IN ATLANTA THAT YOU WON'T FIND IN DALLAS??

I don't think it is the Southern qualities, but the Western qualities which Dallas has and Atlanta doesn't which dilutes the "Southerness" of Dallas.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
Quote:
Proximity to other southern cities, for one thing...

Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

Huge Mexican culture, influence from non-southern cities, More Cowboy Culture, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City