Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times

Advertisements

if you have varied interests and a willingness to try different things without prejudice, no place is boring.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
if you have varied interests and a willingness to try different things without prejudice, no place is boring.
With this I agree.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
Its funny how many people describe how exciting and interesting a city is by all the things you can do (by having to leave) when you drive out of the supposedly exciting city to find those entertaining things that make that city not boring. To me if there aren't at least some decent sized areas in a city that when driving through in a car I just have to get out and on my feet to explore then that city is boring. Neighborhoods/Areas/Quarters that just by their very existence convey a sense of urbanity and community that you just want to get into and experience first hand, and you don't necessarily need to be actually dining, drinking, dancing, shopping etc... to be enjoying yourself- or rather, the time between those activities as you are walking through the area to the next destination is just as enjoyable as the destination.

That being said some of the cities making the list seem ridiculous- Boston, Philadelphia, Cleveland, St Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, NYC!!!??? etc... all these cities have an urban feeling and many fun and lively areas to explore.

I'll freely admit mine isn't the most exciting but it is far from the most boring- Gas Lamp District, Ballpark District, 30th street corridor (best beer street in the USA), Balboa Park museum/zoo complex, stepping into the Ocean with a snorkle and fins and swimming with the sharks and rays in the Pacific- in the city. Great vintage neighborhoods to offset the mind-numbingly boring suburbs that most people see and experience in the outer areas- which is true in most cities.

I would say definitely Phoenix does rise to the top in areas that I have never felt I really wanted to get out of my car and explore that vibrant urban area- because I have never found that there. I don't know about Dallas-never been- it seems to have enough big personalities and overall size to seem to make it fun- but if it is not walkable and dense in at least some decent sized areas then I don't care how cool a nightclub or restaurant is that you have to drive to. Atlanta is kinda the same way- has the potential and does have a lot to offer but Gawd! other than Midtown it is utterly unwalkable and suburban feeling or just plain dead where the big buildings are.

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-18-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
Palm Beach County would be the most boring area with > 1 million people I've personally seen.
HA!! I like how you make it out. Palm Beach County is clearly a County, not a city. You took the 1million+ people in Palm Beach County and tried to incorporate it to a city level, to make it seem more dramatically boring because it's an area of 1million+ people. I see what you did there. You're not fooling anyone, I've been on C-D for a while now. I know the tricks. It's no less exciting than the most boring NYC borough to be honest.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Maybe more fun than dusty FW, but certainly not as fun as Houston. There are no beaches in SA, no world class dining, no world class Theater districts, no world class museums, no fun clubs.

all there is to do in SA is walk around a stinky drain.

If you think that is fun, then you don't know what fun is my friend.

No no no, sir, you need to re-discover the alamo city, go take a float in the cool clear waters of the hill country and enjoy some real Mexican food.
But you are correct, Ft Worth rules.......

Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No no no, sir, you need to re-discover the alamo city, go take a float in the cool clear waters of the hill country and enjoy some real Mexican food.
But you are correct, Ft Worth rules.......
You do know that SA is NOT in the Hill country right?

and SA's food sucks. gives me stomach ache. I swear they are always trying to feed me horse for beef.

so all there is to do in SA is eat???
And you think it is a fun town???

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM

166 posts, read 376,271 times
Phoenix the city itself is kinda boring. The suburbs sadly are where most of the action happen (Scottsdale, Tempe). I've never seen a city that revolves around its burbs like that but I still enjoyed living there.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM

74 posts, read 224,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
As someone who has travelled the world, I would agree with you. I've been to some podunk towns and even third world countries and managed to have some really interesting experiences. It's a very different thing to live in a place, though, and that's what I think this thread is commenting on. I've lived in seven different states during my life and if you're a person who needs culture, recreation and some excitement, like me, not all cities are created equal.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You do know that SA is NOT in the Hill country right?

and SA's food sucks. gives me stomach ache. I swear they are always trying to feed me horse for beef.

so all there is to do in SA is eat???
And you think it is a fun town???

SA is on the edge of the Hill country. The San Marcos, Comal and Guadalupe are within or bordering the metro. There is tons to do there. Theres a reason why its the #1 tourist city in Texas. Youve got some kinda axe to grind with SA........

How can SA's food suck? Cities dont make food!!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
SA is on the edge of the Hill country. The San Marcos, Comal and Guadalupe are within or bordering the metro. There is tons to do there.
oh so the city is fun if you have to leave it and go into the hill country?? Nice

try again dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City