Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM

33 posts, read 93,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Define large...then I'll be able to answer your question. For me, major cities that I'd consider boring would be Omaha, Des Moines, Indy, Columbus, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Louisville. All cities with not really that much to show, at least from the perspective of someone living in a much larger metro area.
It's a shame Columbus is overshadowed by the cities you listed. Columbus is clearly bigger than all thoes cities mentioned but we have to compete with Cleveland and Cincinnati on the national stage. Thoese other cities have the luxuy of being the only major player in their state. That's what makes the growth in Columbus more impressive in my eyes. And to say Columbus is boring with not much to show for it... Maybe you're talking about another Columbus....

Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Oh yea, it's so boring here. There's never any festivals in the summer, never any malls to shop at, no lakes to go jet skiing or boating or fish, and god forbid anyone actually wanted to live some place with history and art. Don't even get me started on the lack of national sports teams in this area. We just totally have none of the things people aren't looking for in a metro.

I may have to sell my boat - boating is so boring in southeast Michigan.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Define large...then I'll be able to answer your question. For me, major cities that I'd consider boring would be Omaha, Des Moines, Indy, Columbus, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Louisville. All cities with not really that much to show, at least from the perspective of someone living in a much larger metro area.
St louis is not that much larger.
But as i always say to people that say Indy is boring........... Indy is not boring YOUR boring. theres a big difference
The old Sterotypes coming from St Louis and Missouri....... Yawn
Plus why is Indy and Columbus with that group?
Those metros are 50% larger than the other cities. heck Des Moines doesnt even have a 3rd of the population that Indy does.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
St louis is not that much larger.
But as i always say to people that say Indy is boring........... Indy is not boring YOUR boring. theres a big difference
The old Sterotypes coming from St Louis and Missouri....... Yawn
Plus why is Indy and Columbus with that group?
Those metros are 50% larger than the other cities. heck Des Moines doesnt even have a 3rd of the population that Indy does.
St. Louis isn't that much larger?

If you are going to use the comparison that Indianapolis and Columbus are 50% larger than some of the other metros listed, shouldn't you recognize that St. Louis is more than 50% larger than Indianapolis or Columbus?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
St. Louis isn't that much larger?

If you are going to use the comparison that Indianapolis and Columbus are 50% larger than some of the other metros listed, shouldn't you recognize that St. Louis is more than 50% larger than Indianapolis or Columbus?
St louis is 30% larger than Indianapolis............
Indy has a 2M people metro and Columbus is in that area too.
Plus even though St Louis is a little bit bigger than Indy its downtown doesnt compare to how compact and great downtown Indianapolis is.

Speaking of which have you been to Indianapolis?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
El Paso....

When I first got stationed there, I said that there was "nothing to do in El Paso..." well somebody corrected me by saying there was tons to do in Elephant Butte, Ruidoso, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Juarez... I replied by asking: "What about El Paso?"

Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,291 times
For me, a boring city is one that lacks the following. I have ranked it from most important at the top, to least important at the bottom:
  • MINDSET of locals (are a majority of the people homebodies more interested in grilling at home with the family, or going out and doing something)
  • Strong nightlife of bars, pubs, speakeasies, lounges and dance clubs
  • Annual, seasonal, or monthly festivals (1st fridays, Summer Jam, etc)
  • Quality and quantity of city amenities (amusement parks, pro-sports venues, museums, other attractions)
  • Whether or not a city's suburbs suffocate the vibrancy of its downtown/urban neighborhoods
  • Climate & geography that are conducive to outdoor activities (not too hot/cold, beach, mountains, lakes, etc)
  • Major music concerts (Rock, Pop, Country, Hip Hop & RnB)
Using this set list of criteria, my nominees for most boring major city in the US are:
  • Oklahoma City - docked lots of points due to the mindset of the locals, weak nightlife, and a less than stellar geographic setting
  • Salt Lake City - losses even more points on the Mindset portion. Nightlife is tough because it's Utah, but it's redeeming factor is the geograhpy
  • El Paso - doesn't do well in most, if not all, of the categories
  • Birmingham - also coming up short in a couple of these metrics

Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
St louis is 30% larger than Indianapolis............
Indy has a 2M people metro and Columbus is in that area too.
Plus even though St Louis is a little bit bigger than Indy its downtown doesnt compare to how compact and great downtown Indianapolis is.

Speaking of which have you been to Indianapolis?
The Indianapolis MSA had 1,778,568 people at the 2010 Census. The Indianapolis metro area does not have 2 million people.

The St. Louis MSA had 2,817,355 people at the 2010 Census.

And yes, I've been to Indianapolis. It's on the way to Chicago. The idea that St. Louis' downtown doesn't compare is nothing short of laughable.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
The idea that St. Louis' downtown doesn't compare is nothing short of laughable.
Based on what? Union Station? The Bottle District?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
The Indianapolis MSA had 1,778,568 people at the 2010 Census. The Indianapolis metro area does not have 2 million people.

The St. Louis MSA had 2,817,355 people at the 2010 Census.

And yes, I've been to Indianapolis. It's on the way to Chicago. The idea that St. Louis' downtown doesn't compare is nothing short of laughable.
You won't even find too many St. Louisans that will make that claim comparing to the two downtown districts. St. Louis is neighborhood centric meaning its main activity is out in the neighborhoods, with "some" activity downtown. Indianapolis is downtown centric. The its main activity downtown with "some" activity out in the neighborhoods (Broad Ripple, Fountain Square, International Village).

Other than that, once you hit a place over 1M people, if you can't find anything to do, it's generally NOT the city, it's the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City