Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yeah, I'll have to concede and agree with this the more I think about it. I guess being the nation's capital, people do tend to have a big head out there. Most DC people I know of tend to look down on Baltimore too! And these are folks from some of the hoodest parts of DC and PG County.

I have considered relocating to the "DMV" area if I don't move to Texas, but considering the cost of living, the weather, the congestion, and some other headaches I know I'd have to deal with, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. It would be excellent for my career (I'm in communications), but would it be worth it in the long run?
Yeah the stuck up factor in the DC area is pretty high. At the same time I do like it here. I think that the good folks outnumber the bad ones the only thing is they tend to be a little quieter and harder to remember during a visit.

I remember when I first moved and starting meeting what I call "DC Braggers". DC Bragger will call themselves hitting on you by telling you how important their job is (usually long but unmemorable titles), what type of car they drive, and of course make implications about money by mentioning expensive purchases and recent trips. And what school they went to is of utmost importance. DC braggers are an unfortunate part of the social landscape around here but there not everyone is like that.

So with that said I say if there's an opportunity here go for it. Once you get used to things avoiding the DC braggers will be a piece of cake. Even easier if you're straight (women don't do the DC brag thing as much). Don't let some jerks make you miss an opportunity not everyone in DC is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM

921 posts, read 1,131,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah the stuck up factor in the DC area is pretty high. At the same time I do like it here. I think that the good folks outnumber the bad ones the only thing is they tend to be a little quieter and harder to remember during a visit.

I remember when I first moved and starting meeting what I call "DC Braggers". DC Bragger will call themselves hitting on you by telling you how important their job is (usually long but unmemorable titles), what type of car they drive, and of course make implications about money by mentioning expensive purchases and recent trips. And what school they went to is of utmost importance. DC braggers are an unfortunate part of the social landscape around here but there not everyone is like that.

So with that said I say if there's an opportunity here go for it. Once you get used to things avoiding the DC braggers will be a piece of cake. Even easier if you're straight (women don't do the DC brag thing as much). Don't let some jerks make you miss an opportunity not everyone in DC is bad.
I lived in the DC area most of my life & this city should be called "The Material City with Spinning Rims".
In this area, it's all about what type of car you're driving, the brand name shoes & clothing you're wearing, & what hair-style you have.

Most of the parents in this area also teach their kids how to develope attitudes like "it's all about what you have & wear", instead of developing intelligence.
I've seen this type of development in children as young as 3 years old.
One of my neighbors told me that her grandchild, who's only 5 years old, can tell you the name for any of the latest brand-name sports shoes & pocket-books but she doesn't even know her own address & telephone number yet. She said she was really concerned on how her daughter & son in-law were raising her.

People need to concentrate more how to expand their intelligence rather than their material belongings.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
At my last company training, I had to deal with people from all over the country.

Me being from SF, there were contingents from LA, Chicago, NYC, and DC. By far and away, the most snobby and oblivious were the DC and NYC ones. Good lord, if I had to hear one more time the word "Westchester.†On the other hand, we also found out that some of them went to "Georgetown,†on and on, good lord. It was as if their sh*t did not stink. It was baseless snobbery IMO.

A point in time came where we were asking which schools we went to. When it was our turn, a colleague from SF said "Cal"; all we got from the east coast contingent were blank stares. Cal-Berkeley, the school 10X more famous and better than Georgetown. I mean c'mon. We got stares as if we were from outer space or something.

The LA and Chicago people were generally extremely urbane, affable just like us from SF. We did not take this "class concept" or what school or neighborhood we were raised in as seriously as the east coasters.

And these were supposed to be peers. As in same level, but some of them didn’t get the memo.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
At my last company training, I had to deal with people from all over the country.

Me being from SF, there were contingents from LA, Chicago, NYC, and DC. By far and away, the most snobby and oblivious were the DC and NYC ones. Good lord, if I had to hear one more time the word "Westchester.†On the other hand, we also found out that some of them went to "Georgetown,†on and on, good lord. It was as if their sh*t did not stink. It was baseless snobbery IMO.

A point in time came where we were asking which schools we went to. When it was our turn, a colleague from SF said "Cal"; all we got from the east coast contingent were blank stares. Cal-Berkeley, the school 10X more famous and better than Georgetown. I mean c'mon. We got stares as if we were from outer space or something.

The LA and Chicago people were generally extremely urbane, affable just like us from SF. We did not take this "class concept" or what school or neighborhood we were raised in as seriously as the east coasters.

And these were supposed to be peers. As in same level, but some of them didn’t get the memo.
Wait your colleague just said "Cal"? I'm sorry but I've never heard of "Cal" either but then you say Cal-Berkeley then I was like "ah." So just to be devil's advocate someone who isn't from the Bay area isn't going to know what "Cal" is.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Wait your colleague just said "Cal"? I'm sorry but I've never heard of "Cal" either but then you say Cal-Berkeley then I was like "ah." So just to be devil's advocate someone who isn't from the Bay area isn't going to know what "Cal" is.
Don't be too sure about that. I live a long way from the Bay Area, and I know that it means Cal-Berkeley.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:00 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Manhattan takes the cake. Too many plutocrats with time to kill and money to burn. A good deal of the snobby socalites in Manhattan are not even from manhattan, some not even from the US. Most native new yorkers are a lot more down to earth, blunt, and "in your face". You just have to go to brooklyn, staten island, and queens... places they have been pushed out to.

SF is snobby but not really in the traditional eastern, my backround is better than yours way. It is more of a proachial-backwards, liberal passive- aggressive, snobby. (think the south park episode where they make fun of SF).

Quote:

This would be a prime example to me. This poster got all offended because people were not as framiliar with Bizerkeley as he had thought, and got insulted. Even though he never mentions anyone laughing, or dismissing the school, or insulting them. No this poster just got a blank stare and was offended. Notice, how ever, how this poster is quite quick to take a snipe at Georgetown (my alma mater). Oh the gall of those east coasters!

Oddly enough, people in Silicon Valley (the part of the Bay area economy that is actually impressive and not based on tourism[SF] or in decay[Oakland]), I have found, to be quite down to earth. I suspect this is due to the fact that most of them are from back east or from countries in the third world (India, mexico, china) where people tend to be much more humble.

Both forms of snobby can be annoying. With the older back east type, people get upset because certian people are members of varying social classes and clubs, that some people no matter how much money, will never be able to ascend to.

The new money snobby is annyoing as well. Flashy, guady, tacky, and working-lower class in its roots. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 12-22-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Manhattan takes the cake. Too many plutocrats with time to kill and money to burn. A good deal of the snobby socalites in Manhattan are not even from manhattan, some not even from the US. Most native new yorkers are a lot more down to earth, blunt, and "in your face". You just have to go to brooklyn, staten island, and queens... places they have been pushed out to.

SF is snobby but not really in the traditional eastern, my backround is better than yours way. It is more of a proachial-backwards, liberal passive- aggressive, snobby. (think the south park episode where they make fun of SF). Oddly enough, people in Silicon Valley (the part of the Bay area economy that is actually impressive), I have found, to be quite down to earth. I suspect this is do to the fact that most of them are from back east or from countries in the third world (India, mexico, china) where people tend to be much more humble.
I'll agree with you, parts of the east definately have a complex regarding "blue blood", "old money", or "private school" that many aren't used to. If you watch the show Gossip girl, you'll see what I mean.

I think the word you are looking for with SF is smug, which I agree with, but definately not snobby. The money here is too new for that. Even so, those with new money are completely outclassing old money, so this point is moot, especially in the Bay Area.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 12-22-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Don't be too sure about that. I live a long way from the Bay Area, and I know that it means Cal-Berkeley.
I guess I"m out of the loop. Well I've never heard of anyone call it Cal though. That's my point. Maybe this is indicative of how little what school someone goes to is important to me. If I ask someoen its more of a where are you from/where'd you live while going to school question versus I think it's actually important. If anything telling me you went to a famous school makes me think "Oh brother its another DC bragger." I know stereotypes aren't nice so apologize in advance to the nice ivy leaguers.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I also have to call out Houstonians on this topic as well. I've noticed Houstonians have a uppity attitude toward people from smaller Texas cities. I know the girls in the southern/southwestern suburbs (Pearland, Sugarland, Missouri City, and a few more) of Houston can be VERY conceited and stuck up. Even people from New Orleans have spoke about this type of attitude from Houstonians.

It seems like most of the girls I met from this area were self-acclaimed models or mixed(they look black, but they make sure you know they are half puerto rican, native american, ethipian, brazilian,etc). I've met a few blacks girls from these areas who seem to have a low tolerance for blacks or consider themselves better than the average black person. I've never met a Dallasite who acted like this before; however, overall Dallasites are more uppity.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Huntsville, Alabama.

Don't get me wrong, it's growing....

....It DOES have a higher than average amount of educated people (Nasa, The Research Park, etc.)

The crime is NOT overbearing....

but my goodness, it's still a mid sized city with not just a TON to get into and every day out on the town I came across the same thugs I have in other cities, especially on the weekends.

It's just the case of a nice city having its nose a little too high than it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City