Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American cities do you believe has a worldwide influence?
Philadelphia 31 19.25%
Boston 45 27.95%
New York City 127 78.88%
Providence 2 1.24%
Austin 3 1.86%
Chicago 78 48.45%
Seattle 23 14.29%
Los Angeles 110 68.32%
San Francisco 73 45.34%
Salt Lake City 5 3.11%
Albuquerque 5 3.11%
St. Louis 3 1.86%
Houston 34 21.12%
Minneapolis 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:51 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times

Advertisements

I think there is a big difference between being influential and being well known. For example, Moscow is one of the most well known cities in the world...but are most of us in America really influenced by Moscow and what goes on there? Unless you have ties to Moscow, probabaly not. I think the only cities that have a significant influence across the globe are NYC and LA. There are other cities in the US that are major global players when it comes to business and/or tourism such as Miami, DC, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Orlando, etc., but none of those cities have a significant influence across the globe outside of the people that come to those cities for business or tourism. People all over the world (including those that will never probably get the chance to go to NYC or LA) have an interest in New York (there is a reason why people worldwide watch the ball drop in Time Square on New Years and why so many movies and TV shows take place in NYC) and are culturally influenced by what they see in all of the Hollywood movies that come from Los Angeles (like NYC, LA is featured in media worldwide). Very few cities on Earth have that sort of influence

Now, if we were going for most well known cities which a lot of people in this thread seem to be doing, I'd say:
New York
Los Angeles
Washington, DC
Miami
Chicago
San Francisco
Las Vegas
Boston
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Orlando's Disney World may be a tourist juggernaut, but I know in many parts of the world, it tends to be more associated with Florida rather than Orlando specifically.

Last edited by jayp1188; 01-03-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,541 times
San Francisco may be influent too because of the Golden Gate Bridge and the huge amount of mist.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
NYC, DC, LA

To a lesser extent:

SF, Boston, Chicago, Miami

Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 AM

184 posts, read 571,501 times
New York - Chicago - Los Angeles are america's most influential cities worldwide.

Then comes

San Francisco - Boston - Miami.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
I say NY for a global financial power... LA for world entertainment capital... Chicago for the Midwest capital... Houston for energy capital...

Boston and Philly both have have influence as do most Major American cities, but thier inportance is limited because of NY...

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 PM

I don't understand how ATL and DC weren't on the list. Espessially DC, that's the nation capital and has the most signifigant worldwide influence of any US city and really most cities in the world. ATL is capital of the south and almost all business in the US have a regional or global HQ up there.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 PM

981 posts, read 806,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Here is my stab at this fairly nebulous topic. The further down the list I got, the less certain I was of the choices. It is kind of hard to find a clear winner when comparing Mia to Phil for example.

Tier 1 and Tier 2: significant worldwide influence (comparable to Lon, Beijing, eventually Brussels)

Tier 1:
NYC/DC
NYC- UN, Wall Street, media.
DC- Not as famous as NYC or LA, but the capitol of the world's most powerful nation. Policy decision have global ramifications (monetary policy, trade , foreign policy). IMF, White House, military, the Fed, etc. Influence out of proportion to the scale of the actual city.

Tier 2:
LA- Hollywood/int trade hub. IMO, the city straddles tier 1. Obviously, influential. But its source of influence (entertainment/culture) is less important. Michael Jackson/Steven Spielberg vs. Barack Obama/Ben Bernanke.

Tier 3: not in headlines on a daily basis, but still exert significant influence overtime (Frankfurt, increasingly Brasilia, Seoul)

SF Bay Area- Silicon Valley, most innovative region. Culture: liberal politics, hippies, gay rights.
Chicago- the city's influence is broad based, 2nd largest financial center, culture, edu, etc.

Tier 4/5/6: influential cities, but not necessarily "significant" (Munich, Bangkok, Santiago, Ottawa, etc)

Tier 4:
Bos- Comparable to the tier 5 cities. But, its role as intellectual/innovation hub give it leg up, IMO.

Tier 5:
Mia, Phi, Hou, DFW, Atl- big MSAs, large int trade centers.

Tier 6:
Sea- major tech/ innovation center.
Det- losing relevance by the day, but still a major econ hub.
I'm surprised anyone would put DC in the same tier as NYC, and to not put LA and Chicago above DC? Please.

Whacked.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I'm surprised anyone would put DC in the same tier as NYC, and to not put LA and Chicago above DC? Please.

Whacked.
I would put DC ahead of NY actually. DC determines the policies that shape the world. The guy made a good point about San Francisco too. In my opinion technology immovations determines a country's advantage over another country not the finacial centers so Silicon Valley is very important. We can do without a few finacial banks in the long run but our technology makes us the #1 nation. The only major diference is I would switch Boston with Houston.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 PM

981 posts, read 806,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I would put DC ahead of NY actually. DC determines the policies that shape the world. The guy made a good point about San Francisco too. In my opinion technology immovations determines a country's advantage over another country not the finacial centers so Silicon Valley is very important. We can do without a few finacial banks in the long run but our technology makes us the #1 nation. The only major diference is I would switch Boston with Houston.
There's more to worldwide influence than the political policies that are generated out of DC, and that's hardly enough to put DC above NYC, LA, or Chicago. DC is a tier below those, IMO.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times
I can't understand the people who don't rank DC highly. Granted it's not as big as a few of the others on the list, but it has outsize power and influence. Do people really think that what goes on in DC has little/no effect on the rest of the world? I'd say it's pretty important...probably right after NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City