Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife city
Los Angeles 16 12.90%
Miami 28 22.58%
New York City 63 50.81%
Other 17 13.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,575,946 times

Advertisements

For the record i have been to LA, but i am actually repeating what i have heard from friends of mine in Los Angeles and Vegas, they constantly remind me how LA and California in general lacks supreme nightlife in comparison to other cities. Las Vegas is the king of nightlife in the West if not the country so i don't understand how or why people from LA try to compete with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:40 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
For the record i have been to LA, but i am actually repeating what i have heard from friends of mine in Los Angeles and Vegas, they constantly remind me how LA and California in general lacks supreme nightlife in comparison to other cities. Las Vegas is the king of nightlife in the West if not the country so i don't understand how or why people from LA try to compete with that.
The nightlife in Vegas is basically L.A.'s nightlife transported to Vegas. Most of what's in Vegas is done in the same style or fashion as L.A. Vegas does have an edge over every city, including NYC, in that their nightlife has a much bigger demand so they have a bigger supply of it. In NYC on a Tuesday night you won't find as much going on as in Vegas on a Tues. night. So Vegas probably IS the king of nightlife in the US, but it's kind of artificial because that's Vegas' prime business - tourism and hospitality, which includes nightlife.

In cities where tourism and hospitality are just part of the city's economy, however, NYC leads in nightlife and L.A. is next. But again, the nightlife in L.A. is what Vegas emulates - lots of trendy "ultra-lounge" types of bars and clubs. NYC has these types of places also but there are many clubs in NY that have a heavy guido element or alternative element. NY has a more diverse club style which includes the ultra-lounges, but L.A. is mostly about ultra-lounges and regular bars with not much in between.

But I can see why people in L.A. think they compete with Vegas, because they do, and they are the blueprint for Vegas' nightlife.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM

981 posts, read 806,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
LA doesn't compete with Vegas at all. We're LA; the only competition we face is from NYC. Period.

Vegas is essentially a giant entertainment district, which drives it.

BTW, repeating what you've heard from other people doesn't give your statements any more credibility.

And, you've "been to LA?" I'm sure. People will say anything on the internet. If you've actually been to LA and spent a considerable amount of time there experiencing the things you are discussing in your posts, why would you need to rely on secondhand perceptions from your "friends" about LA, or even share them to begin with?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I am not an east coast homer, I am not even from the east coast. I think Miami is better because it is a tropical paradise and LA is not. But everybody here says LA because it is more diverse. Nobody here cares about diversity, half of you are afraid to go into those "other" neighborhoods" and would never want to raise your family next door to foreigners. I know how the Americans are I have witnessed it all. Maybe it can be called the most diverse country but Americans are the biggest homers I have seen in the world. So do not say diversity to act like you are interested in other people, Americans are very ignorant to the world. And I am too. I have not gone to the best school systems in the USSR and I went to public schools in Brooklyn. You can claim these books but I can claim the experience.

P.S. I was not talking about land area. Who cares about land area.
Uh, YES you are, and I don't care where you're "from" originally, but you've made the East your home and every single US geography-related view you've expressed proves that you are just an East Coast homer. Deal with it. If you weren't you wouldn't have posted that dumb song dissing "the other side." You're full of crap and it's pathetic that you don't even have the courage to admit to even this.

And who was talking about diversity on THIS thread? I wasn't, nor was that the point of anything we were talking about here. I tripped you up b/c your logic was a joke and now you're going to try and change the subject as though you were arguing that? Ridiculous lol.

P.S. Land area is just as relevant as population for the point you were trying to make, and apparently my point was over your head, again. Your argument about size was ridiculous, but I went on to show you that NYC doesn't win by "size" regardless.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
While I am not a child, children are the most truthful people in the world. I do not need in depth politically correct answers to make sure I do not step on any city's toes. I will spit it out. Americans need to learn to stop putting on fake fronts simply to keep peace with someone or some place.

How do you figure that I proved your point? I just proved my own point. You are afraid to call any place out because you know that it would not be politically correct to do so and somebody will immediately jump on the opportunity to call you out.
You keep patting yourself on the back for not "being politically correct," but you're failing to realize that that is not what people are taking issue with. Its that what you say is completely ignorant, and WE'RE not making sure not to step on YOUR toes. There's no fear here; you've really got everything twisted in thinking you're just being ballsy and standing by your point of view. Your perspective is disturbingly flawed and you're as closed-minded as they come. You're completely incapable of even considering a differing perspective, or at least on here that's what you have shown.

So get over yourself, and realize that no one here is taking issue with you being blunt. When you make comments that are just straight ignorant, people will respond and correct you. This has nothing to do with "being P.C." It has to do with being factual. If someone came on here and said something dumb like, "half of all Russian males are inbred and child molesters," that would be incorrect and ignorant, right? Wouldn't you be motivated to correct that person? Well this is about as bad as you're coming off to the rest of us, so take a look at yourself. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't intend to be offensive for the most part, but I don't think you comprehend why people have problems with what you're saying.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
I still don't consider nightlife to be places filled with tourist and bachelor/bachelorette parties.

Does anybody else agree?

When I view a cities nightlife, I view it from the standpoint of, If I lived there. Maybe my perception is just different than everybody elses. When you live one of those cities though, you avoid those spots like the plague. Your "nightlife" options would be much different than a tourist's

Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM

981 posts, read 806,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
You keep patting yourself on the back for not "being politically correct," but you're failing to realize that that is not what people are taking issue with. Its that what you say is completely ignorant, and WE'RE not making sure not to step on YOUR toes. There's no fear here; you've really got everything twisted in thinking you're just being ballsy and standing by your point of view. Your perspective is disturbingly flawed and you're as closed-minded as they come. You're completely incapable of even considering a differing perspective, or at least on here that's what you have shown.

So get over yourself, and realize that no one here is taking issue with you being blunt. When you make comments that are just straight ignorant, people will respond and correct you. This has nothing to do with "being P.C." It has to do with being factual. If someone came on here and said something dumb like, "half of all Russian males are inbred and child molesters," that would be incorrect and ignorant, right? Wouldn't you be motivated to correct that person? Well this is about as bad as you're coming off to the rest of us, so take a look at yourself. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't intend to be offensive for the most part, but I don't think you comprehend why people have problems with what you're saying.
Yep. Wish I could rep you again.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
LA and NYC are tied.

As for Miami, there is basically only South Beach and a few other districts in the Miami vicinity. There isn't really much else beyond that, and certainly not on the scale of NYC and LA.
some of the better clubs, arguably the best (such as space) are actually in miami proper... the winter music conf and ultra also is right next to downtown miami in bayfront park as are all the other venues that go on there.

i voted other though, its las vegas.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,706 times
Too me its oout of Vegas and Miami. These cities are known everywhere for there Nightlife. The first thing you think of is nightlife and partying from these too

Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I have no problems with the Midwest - I'm just saying that Chicago appears to be more of a regional party center than LA and NYC.
Cities appear to be many things, when in reality they are very different.

Many people come to Chicago from all over to have a good time ---- but usually only during the summer.

It IS a great party city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City