Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Bama is a term used in DC from the 50's when blacks migrated north to get government jobs. They were countrified and called bamas, which meant they were from Alabama even though, they were probably from North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I personally can't stand urban slang. It sounds uneducated. I deal with it all day long with the kids I teach in the hood in NYC. I don't like hearing it when I'm home, lol.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
You don't have to talk like a fool to use slang,regardless, I think certain slang is indicative of the environment..I do agree to most extents it sounds uneducated but as a city boy I can't forget my roots!
And ever since I was a likkle yute I loved the way my brederen in LDN spoke

Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
jluke....you are the very first person I have ever heard to say that New Orleans and Houston uses the same slang.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
jluke....you are the very first person I have ever heard to say that New Orleans and Houston uses the same slang.
I never said they had the same slang; I said similar. However, both have their own distinct slang.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Bama is a term used in DC from the 50's when blacks migrated north to get government jobs. They were countrified and called bamas, which meant they were from Alabama even though, they were probably from North Carolina.
Yeah,Bammer/Bama are two different words with different meanings and different roots.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
^ yeah, in the Bay Area it's Bammer, not Bama, and it means something that's bad quality. It was popularized by SF rappers RBL Posse in their 1992 song "Don't give me no bammer weed."

Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^ yeah, in the Bay Area it's Bammer, not Bama, and it means something that's bad quality. It was popularized by SF rappers RBL Posse in their 1992 song "Don't give me no bammer weed."
I thought it was bammer lol. I saw someone put bama somewhere and I thought wow I have been saying it wrong all this time haha, my bad.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
For some reason one of my favorite NYC terms is "Good Money", it means to be okay, good, cool, etc.

ex:
Person 1 (@ Person 3): "Yo gimme your phone".
Person 2 (@ Person 1): "Chill he good money, I know him".

That was a corny example but it made sense lol.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Some DC slang!

A hot bama is someone who may have on the wrong outfit for a day.

A cold bama is someone who is a bama for life.

Bama can also be used as a negative connotation. Here is an example.

That's some bama sh*t he just pulled. JOINT or JONT- Any noun used to describe a personal possession, a place, thing, or more commonly a marijuana cigarette. (ex. "I got that JONT!" or "Let me see that JOINT right there.")

JOE - A common used nickname to replace your given name. (ex. What's up Joe?")
Other common used forms of nicknames include, but not limited to:
MAINMAN, SLIM, YUN, CUZ or CUZ-O. (all though I have heard the term JOE used in Chicago.)

LUNCHIN'- An often used term depicting strange behavior. (ex. "Yun, what's up with your man? That bamma was LUNCHIN' the other night." or "Boy, you better stop LUNCHIN'!")

CRANKIN'- Used to describe nice sounding music with a hard steady driving beat, such as Go-go. (ex. "Joe? Man, Backyard was CRANKIN' last night down the CFE.)

JACK- Often referred to as a cigarette. (ex. "Can I bum a JACK?")

ROLLER- A person known to be sexually active with more than one person at any given time. (ex. "I heard that girl Theresa was a ROLLER. I'm trying to get at that JOINT.")

BO-DEENS, DA FLAG, FEDS, or DEM BOYS- Simply put, THE POLICE. (ex. "Watch your back, 'cause DEM BOYS posted up 'round the corner.")

AMIGO- Commonly known as the Spanish term for "friend", most DC area people use this to describe any person of Latino descent. (ex. "Mt. Pleasant is where all the AMIGOS live.")

U-U- Derived from the law enforcement term Unauthorized Used of a Vehicle, most inner-city youngsters use this term in reference to a recently stolen automobile. (ex. "Those youngins got a U-U the other night!")

STRETCHED = Knocked out. The bama with the red jacket got stretched.

BUBBLE = A 90's model of a Caprice/Crown Victoria. The feds pulled over a bubble with tinted windows.

DIP = To leave. I had to dip on them bamas.

YAC = Hennessey/Remi Martin. Let me get a bottle of Yac. 1738!

CUFF = To Steal Something. They tried to cuff a flat screen and were caught on camera.

A SMOKER = Describing an attractive female. There are a couple of smokers in here tonight.

VICIOUS = Good or Amazing. That bike is vicious past third gear.

HEMMED UP = Arrested/Detained (but not entirely by law enforcement). Mike's girl got him hemmed up tonight, so he can't come to the club.

Yea thats some D.C lingo for ya.....I dont think we use as much slang over in Pg, MD but basically the same......but yea that bay area "bammer" is something totally different like slim said it started with song in 92'.In D.C it came from the southerners like my grandparent who migrated from the south.now its just an informal noun for somebody...Also chicago cool but they be actlin like everybody tryna be like them from slang to claiming they the murda capital ALL the time.....bammas been saying young, joe, moe, slim, cuz, since I learned to formulate sentences.....but of course you turn it off and on when u got ur corporate hat on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City