Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa Versus Pittsburgh
TAMPA 80 31.75%
PITTSBURGH 149 59.13%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 5 1.98%
UNDECIDED 3 1.19%
DON'T CARE 12 4.76%
NO OPINION 3 1.19%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 PM

65 posts, read 62,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Not to many people including myself.

YOU want an urban city, you're not everyone Chaka Khan.
I understand why someone would not want a urban city and respect their opinoin.

However, if someone says " I want a truly urban, walkable, dense city with great transit. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston don't cut it for me in that category."

These people are immediately labeled a southern hater. Those cities do not offer urban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
No need for that language. You are 16 years old, you should not be using that foul language, it does not help get your point across.
I'm not 16 years old, and I admit I cracked, I get annoyed like everyone else but voicing your opinion (in general) over like 50 pages over and over again and criticizing and criticizing isn't going to make people change their minds.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Ok fair enough. But it's the fact that you guys try SOOO hard to convince people and SCOLD the ones that DO like the Sprawled cities that the DENSE ones are better.
They are better in that persons opinoin. If someone wants to live in Phoenix, which is the most sprawled city in the U.S. then let them.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC26 View Post
I understand why someone who would not want a urban city and respect their opinoin.

However, if someone says " I want a truly urban, walkable, dense city with great transit and Atlanta, Dallas and Houston don't cut it for me in that category" they are immediately labeled a southern hater.

Those cities do not offer urban living.
I don't see that as being a Southern hater at all, you're entitled to your opinion, its just "the South sucks and isn't on my level" type of statements aren't necessary, and quite frankly its sad and annoying.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't see that as being a Southern hater at all, you're entitled to your opinion, its just "the South sucks and isn't on my level" type of statements aren't necessary, and quite frankly its sad and annoying.
And you have never seen the opposite?

You have never seen the people in the south say that everyone in the north is the following : arrogant, type A personalities, rude, guidos, want to live in top of each other, the women sound like men when they speak, horrible accents, etc.

I see it as a two way street.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:

You have never seen the people in the south say that everyone in the north is the following : arrogant, type A personalities, rude, guidos, want to live in top of each other, the women sound like men when they speak, horrible accents, etc.

Yes it absolutely is a two-way street, I dislike people like that too especially because they're insulting where I come from with false acts and ignorance, however that was never brought up in this thread.

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:

You guys call yourselves that. And most of the negative comments of the North, were USUALLY in retaliation to Northern comments.

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
A 4 cent difference? lol. Anyway, Pittsburgh wins this poll by far, it's a real city with real infrastructure that will endure for the ages. Tampa is a tourist destination like Puerto Rico and Jamaica its economy will remain stagnant.
It was more about the double standard and hypocrisy that I was pointing out but I guess I can't expect you to understand what that actually is.

Congrats that Pittsburgh won a CITY-DATA poll! haha, how pathetic is it to get excited over that! Pittsburgh will endure for ages? haha, more delusions b/c statistics show otherwise. In the REAL WORLD, Pittsburgh has been in decline for over 50+ years now. The city shrinks and what's even more pathetic is that the entire metropolitan area continues to shrink. It's one thing for the central city to continue shrinking, much like Philly, but to have the whole metropolitan area shrink as well is pretty rare and pathetic.

On the other hand, Tampa has continued to grow and forecasts show it will also and unlike Pittsburgh. Studies also show how much more desirable Tampa is to most Americans compared to Pittsburgh.

Tampa is where people WANT to move. Pittsburgh is one of the least popular places for people to move.

Most popular cities people want to move to:
1. Denver
2. San Diego
3. Seattle
4. ORLANDO
5. TAMPA

6. San Francisco

Least popular cities people want to move to:
1. Detroit
2. Cleveland
3. Cincinnati
4. Kansas City
5. Minneapolis
6. Pittsburgh

Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else - USATODAY.com

"The West and South are more enticing regions than the Northeast and Midwest."

Pittsburgh is a city that people abandoned long ago and it will continue to decline like it has for 50+ years now. I know you can't handle that reality but it's true whether you can accept that or not.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
C-D Forum is better than cable T.V.,what a cast of characters.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
THE SOUTH SUCKS!

I want a truly urban city as my number one priority. The only city in the south that offers this is Miami.
I hate the urban life style. I like to be close to urban areas but who would wanna live on top of everyone and have no true personal space.

Everyone has culture no matter where you live. You can't say Miami is the only place with culture in FL and the rest is filled with snow birds. That is false. All the other major metros in FL (Tampa Orlando Jacksonville) are filled with young people and families. The old people are scattered throughout the state outside of the big metros.

Anyways, whats so special about up north? What am i missing out on? I'm up there at least once a year and I haven't seen anything there that I'm missing out on over here. so please can you fill me in what makes your life so much better than mine because you live up there and i live down there. Like you said your not required to like the south, just like we aren't required to like the north.. Some people don't like the northern urban lifestyle and would never be caught living in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City