Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Look at all the Texans dominating this thread and discussing how great they are. It's so telling how few (if any) Californians have even replied to this thread. Wow.
your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 12:09 PM

355 posts, read 468,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Even Houston's medical district, which is just 3 or 4 miles outside of the downtown CBD, is projected to possibly grow larger than downtown Dallas in the coming years.
Outgrow Dallas in what? Office space? Land area? Just asking.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
While I dont disagree with you, one thing we have to keep in mind is that because Houston is so large it has neighborhoods in its city that would be equal to Dallas suburbs. Bunker Hill for example is part of Houston. Yet, it is every bit as suburban as Plano.
Perhaps somewhat... though I don't see Plano and Bunker Hill / Memorial Villages as that comparable. Memorial Villages / Bunker Hill is just over 10 miles west of Houston's downtown, while Plano is what, close to 20 miles? I'd think of Sugar Land as a better comparable to Plano.

Many native Houstonians I've talked to think anything outside of Loop 610 is not "real" Houston!

At 15-16 miles west of downtown, the Energy Corridor is probably the best (and one of the few) examples of a large business district in Houston proper that is not in or near the CBD / downtown.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:13 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Perhaps... but all you have to do is look at the locations of the fortune 500 companies in both places.

Even Houston's medical district, which is just 3 or 4 miles outside of the downtown CBD, is projected to possibly grow larger than downtown Dallas in the coming years.

So yes, Houston is more centralized. Even if it's just by Texas standards. The discussion of this subject has gone on ad nauseum on city-data in the Texas forums...
Houston fortune 500 companies are sprawled through out the city. Tarrant and Dallas county together equals Harris County. Seriously, Houston doesn't even have zoning restrictions. Its a anything goes policy in that town.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Outgrow Dallas in what? Office space? Land area? Just asking.
I think both

Houston's Texas Medical Center May Outgrow Downtown Dallas - Bloomberg.com

Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston fortune 500 companies are sprawled through out the city. Tarrant and Dallas county together equals Harris County.
N/NW Harris County is very rural in places. Can't look at it that way. Houston city limits is just a portion of Harris.

Quote:
Seriously, Houston doesn't even have zoning restrictions. Its a anything goes policy in that town.
Not sure what that has to do with it.... Even so, not entirely true. Houston has city ordinances that take the place in many ways of the lack of formal land zoning.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Houston fortune 500 companies are sprawled through out the city. Tarrant and Dallas county together equals Harris County. Seriously, Houston doesn't even have zoning restrictions. Its a anything goes policy in that town.
That is so true!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 PM

355 posts, read 468,947 times
very impressive. i'm assuming that TMC is the center of the construction boom in houston right now.

Last edited by Dallas12; 02-20-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
That is so true!
Once again... no, it's not exactly. Common misconception about Houston...

Zoning Without Zoning | Planetizen
"...what other cities achieve through zoning, Houston achieves through several land use regulations."

Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraylee182004 View Post
I think it's safe to say that Texas could pass as a "southern version" of California. In many ways no, but in many ways yes. Both are the two largest states geographically, and by population in the contiguous United States.

What I thought was neat was to point out what would be what in Texas and California; I thought my comparisons matched well.

Los Angeles = Houston: Both are the largest by population

San Francisco = Dallas: Both seem to be #2 cities in their state(I guess debatable) and both seem very similar, because both seem to be in rivalry with the larger city in their respectable state

Oakland = Fort Worth: Both get overshadowed by the bigger important sister city next to them

San Diego = San Antonio: lol they just seem very similar

Sacramento = Austin: Both Capitols and "Weird" if you will

Just my outlook on things, I know it all might not be facts. Just my opinions, thought it was fun.

Well, it's certainly starting to get that way now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City