Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's Fourth City:
Atlanta 7 4.00%
Boston 7 4.00%
Dallas 7 4.00%
Houston 32 18.29%
Miami 8 4.57%
Philadelphia 21 12.00%
San Francisco 29 16.57%
Washington, D.C. 64 36.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If we are talking about cities only and not reigions, Houston easily.

If we are talking about reigions, its a toss up between DFW, Philly, and the Bay Area.
Couldn't agree more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
Dallas would still be ahead of Philly or DC by a bit.
Dallas ahead of DC?

Someone needs to check their sources a bit more carefully.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
Sorry, but I completely, emphatically disagree with you. The political clout of a city isn't everything. I understand the DC pride, but seriously, DC is nowhere near as relevant as NYC or LA, or even Chicago.
NYC, no. LA is debatable. But Chicago? I suppose I'm going to emphatically disagree with you. Political clout may not be everything, but I'm not certain people grasp how much of an economic engine the DC area has become. The region has a higher GDP than Chicago does, with a smaller population, for instance. Couple that with the ever-increasing federal government presence--whatever you may think of it--and it's by no means a ridiculous assertion to say that DC competes for "relevancy" with the largest cities across the country. The city isn't just a bunch of old men in gray suits sipping mint julips in the back room of the Capital Grill.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC should not even be on this list. DC is either 1 or 2 after New York. Chicago is no where near as relevant as DC, and LA is becoming less and less in comparison to DC metro every year. Try again with that 4th city stuff!
What are you basing this assertion on? GDP-- probably not. Economic diversity and global relevance... no. Cultural contributions? No. Population? No.

The only measure where DC stands remotely above either LA or Chicago is in the political arena and its being the U.S. seat of government. I agree, being the capital of the U.S. means DC has a good deal of might globally. If you're basing your "relevance" argument solely on politics, I guess then DC is probably the most important city in the world. Now, read that again. Does that seem right? Do you think it's more important than New York City? Really? In a way, Washington, D.C. is an outlier-- extremely important but that's primarily due to its role as the political hub.

And, why is LA becoming "less and less" relevant in comparison to DC metro every year. Is it's population shrinking? Is it's GDP shrinking? Please inform. Do you care to explain how Chicago is "nowhere near as relevant as DC"? If you bring up politics, you'll be called on it.

I would say, in order, here are the most "relevant cities" in the US.
1. NYC
1a. Los Angeleas (I think Chicago and Los Angeles can be interchanged based on criteria)
1b. Chicago
3. San Francisco
Then, Washington, D.C., closely followed by Boston and Houston.

So, the 4th city is San Francisco, with a logjam directly behind it.

Last edited by BigLake; 04-21-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
NYC, no. LA is debatable. But Chicago? I suppose I'm going to emphatically disagree with you. Political clout may not be everything, but I'm not certain people grasp how much of an economic engine the DC area has become. The region has a higher GDP than Chicago does, with a smaller population, for instance. Couple that with the ever-increasing federal government presence--whatever you may think of it--and it's by no means a ridiculous assertion to say that DC competes for "relevancy" with the largest cities across the country. The city isn't just a bunch of old men in gray suits sipping mint julips in the back room of the Capital Grill.
I think the fact that DC has no skyscrapers within city limits makes it lose some cool points with people. It doesn't matter to some that the CSA is now almost 8.5 million. But that's okay, there are different ways of looking at this.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I am really surprised Philly got as many votes. Don't get me wrong I love my city but on the list DC has to be the most relevant (purely on political clout alone) and DC is an economic engine we all pay for (for better or worse)

And I do agree that there is a big log jam after - many cities all with similar characteristics and size

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
What are you basing this assertion on? GDP-- probably not. Economic diversity and global relevance... no. Cultural contributions? No. Population? No. .
Washington DC is a far wealthier Metro Area than Chicago, The Washington DC CSA (8.5 million) has surpassed the Chicago CSA (9.6 million) in GDP, and that gap will continue to grow. As far as economic diversity, Chicago is probably more diverse, but dont think for a second that DC is only Gov't jobs, they only account for about 20%. Bethesda, MD is probably the Healthcare capital of the US and Fairfax County (along the Dulles Cooridor) is the second largest Tech Cooridor in the Country outside Sillicon Valley. The top 4 wealthiest counties in the country are all the DC area (Fairfax, Loudon, Montgomery, Howard). People are being naive if they dont believe money/power is what is most important, and NYC and DC are the two Metro's that matter the most in this country.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think the fact that DC has no skyscrapers within city limits makes it lose some cool points with people. It doesn't matter to some that the CSA is now almost 8.5 million. But that's okay, there are different ways of looking at this.
I agree with you 100%, people tend to overlook DC as a city due to lack of skyscrapers; however, do not let that make you think The District doesnt have a huge "downtown", infact it is quite the opposite: Downtown DC is the 3rd largest office district in the United States (behind Midtown Manhattan and Chicago), HOWEVER, IF YOU ADD ALL GOV'T BUILDINGS TO THAT LIST DC SURPASSES CHICAGO IN TOTAL OFFICE SPACE AND IS SECOND ONLY TO NEW YORK CITY.

Many people dont realize this, but the Pentagon is the worlds largest office building, containing more office space than the Sears (Willis) Tower and John Hancock Buildings COMBINED.

Last edited by prelude91; 04-21-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Washington DC is a far wealthier Metro Area than Chicago, The Washington DC CSA has surpassed the Chicago CSA in GDP, and that gap will continue to grow. As far as economic diversity, Chicago is probably more diverse, but dont think for a second that DC is only Gov't jobs, they only account for about 20%. Bethesda, MD is probably the Healthcare capital of the US and Fairfax County (along the Dulles Cooridor) is probably the second largest Tech Cooridor in the Country outside Sillicon Valley. The top 4 wealthiest counties in the country are all the DC area (Fairfax, Loudon, Montgomery, Howard). People are being naive if they dont believe money/power is what is most important, and NYC and DC are the two Metro's that matter the most in this country.

While I agree with most of this and the assertion of DC being increasingly important. Bethesda is no where close to the Healthcare capital. Otsuko and some small biotech do not even come close to other areas

Also 20% gov't is likely an under-statement; there are at least as much is private industry support services of the gov't complex. But you are correct it is an economic powerhouse overall

Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
While I agree with most of this and the assertion of DC being increasingly important. Bethesda is no where close to the Healthcare capital. Otsuko and some small biotech do not even come close to other areas
Also add the National Institute of Health, and the National Naval Medical Center and Bethesda is def one of the top in the Country, if not the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City