Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could the USA make it without California and New York City?
Yes 124 67.39%
No 60 32.61%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM

370 posts, read 372,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ummm...that is the question...

I didn't realize places like Seattle, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas were now considered "flyover country"
Well, now you know.

If it ain't LA or NYC, it doesn't matter.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
We would survive, but we wouldn't be as powerful, especially economically.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
Well, now you know.

If it ain't LA or NYC, it doesn't matter.
I'm sure there are about 250 million people that would easily (and rightfully so) disagree with you.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
Isn't California more of a burden to the country? :S

Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM

245 posts, read 215,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Isn't California more of a burden to the country? :S
No, just some of its population

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The tech industry would find new homes. Seattle is a contender - Amazon, Google, and Microsoft are there. The South is too.

And about 90% of America would just as soon see those rotten bankers on pikes than continue to be a part of our society, and the rest of the nation would simply live on without their betting for (and against) the economy at the same time.

There's plenty of good wine outside of the Valley in California.

... so besides finance, what does NYC really offer the US? I'm having a hard time thinking ... other than fashion.
Sorry my friend but Google headquarters are located in Mountain View,Ca (Silicon Valley) just a few minutes north of San Jose not Seattle.

Tech Companies located in Silicon Valley that the US would lose

Google, Apple, eBay, Cisco Systems, Hewlett Packard, Intel, Yahoo, SanDisk, Oracle, Facebook, Twitter, Mcafee, Sony, Youtube....and that's just the tip of the ice burg.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM

370 posts, read 372,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm sure there are about 250 million people that would easily (and rightfully so) disagree with you.
But they don't matter, either.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
The US would easily survive, but it might not be the same kind of country.
It wouldn't be "easy" but the country will survive. It's never easy to lose the largest financial center in your country, and and the state that controls a lot of corporate headquarters to tech companies such as Apple, Adobe, Google, etc.. as well as large amounts of natural resources. That isn't ever easy for a country to come to terms with and "easily" move on. But yes, the country can survive, not as strong but it'll survive.

It's more like taking key ingredients out of a good soup recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
The real question is, Can NYC and California make it without the rest of the US?

CA would still survive thanks to its large cities and abundant resources. It's size alone is as big as many countries. Though its media presents would weaken substantially.

NYC on the other hand would collapse as a nation on its own. Finance alone cannot keep a country afloat. The city would eventually become brankrupt as it tried to acquire the resources it would need to sustain itself and its population.
Singapore and Hong Kong. Those are two examples of countries that don't have much in natural resources that can still shape the economic environment of the world.
New York city can do it as well. It has a lot of economic power, but one set back would be importing goods, the prices will be higher for NYC, but it'll make the cut.

* Please not, Hong Kong isn't an independent country, it's a dependent country (SAR) but maintains it's own financial, political and cultural offerings aside from sharing China's*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Of course, no one even comes CLOSE to the United States in terms of GDP level, except if you counted the EU as one economic entity. The difference between the US and EU is that the EU has so many heavy tariffs that its nearly discouraging to import ANY goods to them since they want to make a more cohesive economic trading bloc. However, the US is still a large trading partner with them and imports their goods!

At the end of the day, I still think its good the US maintains trade relations with them.

Report for Selected Countries and Subjects

For all those people that say that 'China is going to overtake the US economy within 30 years', well they have some catching up to do. China's economy is only 34.4% the size of the US economy, but with three times the population. Even if their economy manages to overtake the US in GDP, it will STILL have a much lower per capita output and most likely still lag on the infrastructure front.

I'm really impressed at how large and expansive the US economy became. Of course, economic power isn't the only power that exists in the world, but it goes to show you that
even if we lost a few areas of the country, the US would still be a major economic force. That's the power of decentralization. However, there's something to be said that without any part of the country, the US still wouldn't be QUITE as strong as it is now.
I tell people that same thing (Bold) and they look at me like I'm crazy.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
LOL @ others who assume CA and NY are the center of the universe.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I didn't realize they were leaving us. Did New York get cut off and float away to Europe? Did the San Andreas fault jolt California into an apocalyptic trench?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City