Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
There seems to be a mutual respect kinship between Dallas and Atlanta as opposed to Atlanta and Houston.

Its almost like Dallas and Houston are brothers and Atlanta is Dallas' girlfriend that his brother Houston doesn't like.
Imagine what it would name it's kid, Dallanta?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
Quote:
There seems to be a mutual respect kinship between Dallas and Atlanta as opposed to Atlanta and Houston.

Its almost like Dallas and Houston are brothers and Atlanta is Dallas' girlfriend that his brother Houston doesn't like.
i honestly feel this depends on who you talk to. houston, dallas, and atlanta are like siblings, and as i stated before, two of them share characteristics that the other doesn't. for example:

houston & atlanta: lush, southern
dallas & houston: texan ('nuff said)
atlanta & dallas: white collar, landlocked

Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Overall...I prefer DALLAS...IMHO.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i honestly feel this depends on who you talk to. houston, dallas, and atlanta are like siblings, and as i stated before, two of them share characteristics that the other doesn't. for example:

houston & atlanta: lush, southern
dallas & houston: texan ('nuff said)
atlanta & dallas: white collar, landlocked
I cant speak as much for Atlanta, but I dont know how much longer Dallas can really be considered white collar (the city anyway).

Dallas ISD has the highest percentage of students getting free lunch of all the major school districts in the nation. Dallas' poverty rate is now well above the national average. Given that Dallas is such a big magnent for poorer people from south of the border, its likely to get worse.

Traditionally Dallas was Texas' white collar city. I really dont think it is anymore.

http://www.analyzedallas.org/AnalyzeDallas/Pages/ViewFile.aspx?id=425 (broken link)

Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I cant speak as much for Atlanta, but I dont know how much longer Dallas can really be considered white collar (the city anyway).

Dallas ISD has the highest percentage of students getting free lunch of all the major school districts in the nation. Dallas' poverty rate is now well above the national average. Given that Dallas is such a big magnent for poorer people from south of the border, its likely to get worse.

Traditionally Dallas was Texas' white collar city. I really dont think it is anymore.

http://www.analyzedallas.org/AnalyzeDallas/Pages/ViewFile.aspx?id=425 (broken link)
well i was speaking of the general economy and i guess "ritzier" element of dallas. but atlanta is pretty much the same way: minority-majority, much of the city south of i-20 is economically disadvantaged (not necessarily poor, though)

dallas and atlanta, to me, are just more "neat" and a bit flashier with more of a design sensibility than houston

Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Atlanta is much closer to beaches and mountains than Dallas is, other than that they are about equal.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Atlanta is much closer to beaches and mountains than Dallas is, other than that they are about equal.
i wouldn't exactly say equal. there are several significant differences between the two

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! I've heard of that place from several friends that commute to Dallas often.

You better watch yourself, chum bucket!

In all seriousness for a moment, I honestly think that the high amount of business done between DFW & Atlanta may have something to do with the "comfort factor" that seems to exist between the two places.

I have no proof of this, but my gut feeling is that the business ties between Atlanta & DFW are a little stonger than between Atlanta & Houston.
How about AT&T as an example.

AT&T Inc. is headquartered in Dallas, Texas and AT&T Mobility (The subsidiary brand) is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
I think that qualifies to a strong business connection for that company between the two cities.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
How about AT&T as an example.

AT&T Inc. is headquartered in Dallas, Texas and AT&T Mobility (The subsidiary brand) is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
I think that qualifies to a strong business connection for that company between the two cities.

This was pointed out way earlier here, here and here

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i wouldn't exactly say equal. there are several significant differences between the two
Would like to hear you elaborate on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City