Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times

Advertisements

No matter how you feel about New Orleans today, this is just incredibly sad and depressing ... I think it's one of the most shocking things leftover from Hurricane Katrina, and one that very few people even know about. Wonder why?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times
When it come to cities in the south,New Orleans will always be above Atlanta.

Walt Disney's The Princess and the Frog - Down in New Orleans.wmv - YouTube

Old 08-28-2013, 01:38 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post

Depends on what you are referiing to/

Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The difference I've noticed is that not only are productions being filmed in New Orleans, but they're actually being set there as well. The city has a mystique and character that makes it a great setting for stories...Atlanta, not so much.

There are movies and series ABOUT New Orleans. Off the top of my head, the only major movie in recent years that was about Atlanta was the black teeny-bopper movie 'ATL', and the only landmark in that film was the Cascade skating rink.
There are plenty of films set in Atlanta and the surrounding area. But who cares? The truth is, the film industry is Georgia is still destroying Louisiana. I don't go to a movie caring where it was filmed much at all. The only truly impressive film cities to me are NYC, Chicago, and LA anyway.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
No matter how you feel about New Orleans today, this is just incredibly sad and depressing ... I think it's one of the most shocking things leftover from Hurricane Katrina, and one that very few people even know about. Wonder why?
We know about it. The developers built it in a dying and dangerous neighborhood far away from any tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There are plenty of films set in Atlanta and the surrounding area. But who cares? The truth is, the film industry is Georgia is still destroying Louisiana. I don't go to a movie caring where it was filmed much at all. The only truly impressive film cities to me are NYC, Chicago, and LA anyway.
We still film more movies and most actors rather film here than there.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Annie have you personally asked each actor if they like it there better?? Please give us a break with you homer-ism.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm not arguing the point, just illustrating that they do have a lot in common ... except River Street is MUCH more family friendly and not nearly as sleazy as Bourbon Street.

Other things that New Orleans and Savannah have in common is:
-- Colorful history
-- Unique culture
-- Busy rivers with muddy water
-- Horse pee
-- Open consumption of alcohol on the streets, which can lead to all kinds of interesting ... uh ... "scenery"
On any given day Savannah is far more tame and family friendly than New Orleans, for sure.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Annie have you personally asked each actor if they like it there better?? Please give us a break with you homer-ism.
They've expressed this opinion before, as well as national editors.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Then your knowledge is lacking.
Wanderlust with Jennifer Anniston just came on 2 days agoagain on T.V.
There are several movies lset in Atlanta also because of the CDC.
One is Contagion.
The t.v. show Revolution ,
The Walking Dead,
Catch Me if You Can,
Idenity Theft
Flight
Driving Miss Daisy
Single Ladies
What to Expect When You are Expecting
Alll whee Atlanta is the backdrop
Why does this even matter anyway?
New Orleans has a smaller corporate presence than Charlotte or Nasville,It has ONE f500 company.
Even Nashville has 9 or 10.
Yet you wanna talk about where a movie is set?
Obviously you are trolling.Its ok to have a preference but if being in a city where movies are set is the highest on your priority then why are you not there but in ALL places HOUSTON?So where is Houston in film or televison?Really?Wow.Just wow!
Trolling? I think you know better than that. You guys had no problem pointing out the fact that more filming is done in Atlanta, but when I point out the fact that New Orleans is more respected as a setting for stories, all of a sudden you want to claim someone is "trolling".

Take note of the fact that I was talking about movies, and not necessarily television shows. I also never said that NOTHING is set in Atlanta, but the city itself is not a primary feature the way New Orleans often is. There's currently an HBO series about New Orleans. There was a DISNEY MOVIE about New Orleans. Atlanta does not have that. In these productions, there's actually references about the Bywater, Uptown, Audubon Park, the cemeteries, etc. When's the last time something that "took place" in Atlanta highlighted the culture of the West End, Inman Park, EAV, or Decatur? It just doesn't happen often, and you know it.

I was just bringing up a very valid point, but I never said anything about this being a major part of where I decide to live, so you deciding to bring Houston in this as a lame attempt to hurt my feelings was absolutely ineffective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post

Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
New Orleans has a smaller corporate presence than Charlotte or Nasville,It has ONE f500 company.
Even Nashville has 9 or 10.
Nashville has 4 Fortune 500 headquarters.

As far as movies being set in Atlanta vs. New Orleans, it's obvious why more movies are set in New Orleans. We've complained in Atlanta about movies being filmed here but not set here in the past, but thankfully this is starting to change somewhat. But still, New Orleans has the advantage there, easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City