Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

New Orleans

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Absolutely spot on, except you didnt account for what NOLA's business climate is becoming and at what pace its growing. The combination of a 2nd-to-non cultural experience, year round festivals/parades/happenings all centric to aforementioned culture, AND the rapidly emerging business atmosphere is why I contend for New Orleans and even why I chose to move my family and business there recently.

I guess I'd say that Atlanta is the safer bet, but New Orleans is the better experience and, according to current rate of entreprenuerial influx, will soon give a huge payoff
I agree, although for the person who doesn't care for the allure of New Orleans. Atlanta is an easier choice.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
I feel like there are two competitions going on here:

Atlanta vs. New Orleans

And a battle between the two identical "Atlanta vs. New Orleans" threads that are on the front page...

Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Oddly enough, I just got an e-mail from the city about film-making classes that are going on... at the bottom was this tidbit:

In 2012, New Orleans hosted 61 tax credit film projects (TV, films and commercials with budgets over $300,000), with direct spending of $669.8 million. In 2011, the City hosted 46 tax credit projects with an estimated $544 million in direct spending.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Absolutely spot on, except you didnt account for what NOLA's business climate is becoming and at what pace its growing. The combination of a 2nd-to-non cultural experience, year round festivals/parades/happenings all centric to aforementioned culture, AND the rapidly emerging business atmosphere is why I contend for New Orleans and even why I chose to move my family and business there recently.

I guess I'd say that Atlanta is the safer bet, but New Orleans is the better experience and, according to current rate of entreprenuerial influx, will soon give a huge payoff
Not sure if you are aware but there are many festivals in Atlanta.You keep giving the notion that Atlanta does not offer a cultural myriad of festivals .The culture or history being a backdrop for these festivals like you do in N.O. is lacking somewhat,but there is more than enough (and growing)to keep you entertained.
In fact I'd say there are as much or even more year round festivals and parades in Atlanta.
One of them is the DragonCon Parade this weekend and the annual "House In the Park" soiree.

Last week I went out clubbing along Edgewood and there were art vendors,food trucks with literally hundreds of people everywhere at 1am. This was on a Wednesday night.

New Orleans is not like Atlanta.Its slow.Very slow.Some people complain that Atlanta is slow,Compared to NYC or Chicago I suppose so.
New Orleans is not much more festive than Savannah Georgia.The two cities feel very much alike even though New Orleans is much bigger.
The culture is great but it by nature is a slow culture.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not sure if you are aware but there are many festivals in Atlanta.You keep giving the notion that Atlanta does not offer a cultural myriad of festivals .The culture or history being a backdrop for these festivals like you do in N.O. is lacking somewhat,but there is more than enough (and growing)to keep you entertained.
In fact I'd say there are as much or even more year round festivals and parades in Atlanta.
One of them is the DragonCon Parade this weekend and the annual "House In the Park" soiree.

Last week I went out clubbing along Edgewood and there were art vendors,food trucks with literally hundreds of people everywhere at 1am. This was on a Wednesday night.

New Orleans is not like Atlanta.Its slow.Very slow.Some people complain that Atlanta is slow,Compared to NYC or Chicago I suppose so.
New Orleans is not much more festive than Savannah Georgia.The two cities feel very much alike even though New Orleans is much bigger.
The culture is great but it by nature is a slow culture.
Out of all I said, you go on a diatribe about the number of festivals? The frequency is a trivial matter(plenty cities have numerous annual festivals) especially in comparison to the main point, which is what both cities offer in terms of lifestyle...

Even as you admitted: "The culture or history being a backdrop for these festivals like you do in N.O. is lacking somewhat"...I only disagree with the "somewhat" part.

You think New Orleans is "very slow"? Hmm I, like most, have never heard the words uttered together. But thats okay. Some people think pineapples belong on a pizza. Some people think Batman can beat Superman in a footrace. Its just that most people dont...

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 08-26-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Out of all i said, you go on a diatribe about the number of festivals? The frequency is a trivial matter(plenty cities have numerous annual festivals) especially in comparison to the main point, which is what both cities offer in terms of lifestyle...

Even as you admitted: "The culture or history being a backdrop for these festivals like you do in N.O. is lacking somewhat"...I only disagree with the "somewhat" part.

New Orleans slow? I, like most, have never heard the words uttered together. But thats okay. You and I are similar in that despite all the things you've seen, read, and experienced of New Orleans, TO YOU its "slow" and I, despite it being the strip club capitol and home of the hairweave expo, think Atlanta is quite suburban with no real uniqueness
Yes its slow.Atlanta is definitely faster.I don't see why its up for debate.
I live downtown Atlanta.this weekend I hopped on the subway and hung out with friends in Midtwwn before coming back downtown to hang out in the Edgewood area.We went out to eat at an organic restaurant in Buckhead at 3am.Where can you do that in N.O?

I have also spent a lot of considerable time over the years in New Orleans.I can count as least 4 friends that live here in Atlanta and some who live in New Orleans.

Unlike you,I have spent considerable amount of time in New Orleans.I know what Im talking about.
Even the festivals here have a cultural implications.Overall they are not as unique as the are in N.O.I admit that with no reservations.However you make it sound like Atlanta does not have very exciting cultural attractions.Just not so.
As far as what you think versus what you know,are just two different things.

Hairweaves and strip club capitols?So New Orleans does not represent in those departments?LOL!Okay..RIGHT!!
You seem to be painting a very glorious picture of New Orleans as if it were all a Streetcar Named Desire and Interview With A Vampire.
Its not.Living there is not as great as visiting.Its a great city with a lot of potential but its in no way there yet or even close.
Like Mutiny said:Balance.Its important.New Orleans just does not have that.
You say you only agree with the "somewhat" part of my statement but do you even know what festivals and such Atlanta has?Or their history?

So you dont think New Orleans is slow?Thats not a bad thing.Its just what it is.Different strokes.
No one has still not commented on a statement I made earlier of how segregated it is.Just curious"what part of New Orleans do you live and how integrated is it?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Out of all I said, you go on a diatribe about the number of festivals? The frequency is a trivial matter(plenty cities have numerous annual festivals) especially in comparison to the main point, which is what both cities offer in terms of lifestyle...

You think New Orleans is "very slow"? Hmm I, like most, have never heard the words uttered together. But thats okay. Some people think pineapples belong on a pizza. Some people think Batman can beat Superman in a footrace. Its just that most people dont...
Does Superman have Kryptonite around his neck?

Also another point is not about the frequency.No one is judging the cultural implications of a festival.They just want to have fun and be involved in something different.
Yes one would move to a city like N.O if that is what they want.To be surrounded my a different cultural atmosphere.
Its one of the reasons I have considered Savannah on many occasions is its culture but it to is too slow!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
I live downtown Atlanta.this weekend I hopped on the subway and hung out with friends in Midtwwn before coming back downtown to hang out in the Edgewood area.We went out to eat at an organic restaurant in Buckhead at 3am.Where can you do that in N.O?

I have also spent a lot of considerable time over the years in New Orleans.I can count as least 4 friends that live here in Atlanta and some who live in New Orleans.

Unlike you,I have spent considerable amount of time in New Orleans.I know what Im talking about.
Even the festivals here have a cultural implications.Overall they are not as unique as the are in N.O.I admit that with no reservations.However you make it sound like Atlanta does not have very exciting cultural attractions.Just not so.

Hairweaves and strip club capitols?So New Orleans does not represent in those departments?LOL!Okay..RIGHT!!
You seem to be painting a very glorious picture of New Orleans as if it were all a Streetcar Named Desire and Interview With A Vampire.
Its not.Living there is not as great as visiting.Its a great city with a lot of potential but its in no way there yet or even close.
You say you only agree with the "somewhat" part of my statement but do you even know what festivals and such Atlanta has?Or their history?

So you dont think New Orleans is slow?Thats not a bad thing.Its just what it is.Different strokes.
No one has still not commented on a statement I made earlier of how segregated it is.Just curious"what part of New Orleans do you live and how integrated is it?
I live on St. Charles Ave. in the Faubourg Bouligny. I'm a low-income white student living in a one bedroom apartment. Next door up and down my street are 3 million dollar homes with some mansions carves out into ~200,000 dollar condos. On the side streets are large expensive homes, duplexes, more apartments, and condos. 3 blocks in any direction provides different economic/racial groups. Several blocks uptown brings you to more mansions. Several blocks the other way brings you to cheaper worker housing mixed among more expensive homes/condos.

NowThis description could be better with more detail but the point is that where I live uptown is the epitome of mixed income or mixed race. This represents most of the city except for Lakeview and the area farther uptown by Audubon park.

Also, I grew up in Algiers. Half the people on my block were white the other half black.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:

Lol. Glad you were at least able to laugh. Ya know I enjoy this type of back and forth, but I'll be candid in that I wish you wouldnt make incorrect assumptions and assertions about my knowledge of New Orleans. I too have a good deal of knowledge about the place and being married to a born and raised New Orleanian, I just might know more about the city than you via spousal proxy. We also currently live in Gentilly(to answer your question) so one might reason that I also know more of recent and current developments. So I can tell you your assertions about it not being a great city to live is just very simply incorrect...today. I would have fervently agreed and sent you an offering even 2 years ago, but we're not talking about then. The reason we chose New Orleans IS BECAUSE of the balance that exists here now between new business climate along with what we've always loved about it.

Now...I will amicably agree that my knowledge of Atlanta isn't the most extensive, but I've been there and have several friends and even family there. Some who even moved from New Orleans and now that Katrina's wrath is being unwrought they're coming to the 1-of-a-kind city they love to LIVE IN. So again, your vehement assertions about it not being a great city to live is just very simply incorrect. I didnt mean to say Atlanta isnt fun. I've said on many threads how much I loved visiting Atlanta. I also don't intend even slightly to paint New Orleans a perfect city. Its not. Just as the logical New Yorker would not contend NY to be peaceful or quiet. BUT GREAT CITIES don't try to be. And I guess therein lies the point I've been hammering. The difference between the A and NOLA is that one city prides itself in new buildings, industry, a huge airport, and business headquarters...while other city prides itself on its character, unique charm, preservation of architecture, cuisine, and the indellible mark it leaves on you. But you're right, its not perfect.

Ok, regarding your remarks about racial divide...I cant speak to that. Honestly, I live in Gentilly Terrace and I've not noticed a racial divide unless you mean in the ghetto. And even then, its a socio-economic divide more than racial.

Lastly, I recant my statement about New Orleans being "slow" because i dont have clarity as to the type of slow you mean. Regarding events, gatherings, etc. New Orleans isnt slow at all. But if you mean "slow" as in laid back personalities, of course you're right

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 08-26-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City