Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,502 times

Advertisements

Before I post, I want to add Patricia Heaton from "everybody loves Raymond"..She was born and (I think) raised in Bay village...

Greater Cleveland has been home to presidents, movie stars, poets, writers, and villians. Learn more about these famous -- and infamous -- people who once resided in Cleveland.
Ohio Astronauts

Like presidents, Ohio has given birth to more than its share of astronauts. Two of the most noted--Neil Armstrong and John Glenn--are Ohioans. Perhaps it is their example or perhaps Ohio is just being true to her moniker, "The Birthplace of Flight." Learn a little more about each of Ohio's astronauts.

Thomas Edison and Northeast Ohio

Thomas Alva Edison, inventor of the incandescent lightbulb, the first photograph, and over 1000 other inventions, was born right here in Northeast, in Milan, in north central part of the state. Although his family moved away from Ohio when he was seven years old, his influence can still be felt in the region.

Hal Holbrook - Mark Twain and More

Hal Holbrook, born Harold Rowe Holbrook Jr. in Cleveland in 1925, is a versatile stage, screen, and television actor. Although he left Northeast Ohio as a boy, Holbrook has returned numerous times, starring in Cleveland Play House productions, among other projects. He is nominated for a 2008 Academy Award for his work in "Into the Wild," making him at 83 the oldest man ever nominated for an Academy Award.

Ruby Dee -- Portrait of a Cleveland-Born Actress

Ruby Dee, born in Cleveland in 1924, is a versatile stage, screen, and television actress. Although she left Northeast Ohio as a young girl, Ms. Dee (nee Ruby Ann Wallace) has returned numerous times, starring in Karamu House productions, among other projects. She is nominated for a 2008 Academy Award for her work in "American Gangster."

Alan Freed: The Man who Gave Cleveland "Rock and Roll"

Alan Freed wasn't born in Cleveland, but he left his mark there. A popular radio announcer during the 1950s, Freed coined the term "Rock and Roll" to describe the music he played--songs by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and other similar artists.

John D. Rockefeller and Cleveland

John D. Rockefeller, the "World's Richest Man" in the early 20th century, was born in the Finger Lakes region of New York, but moved with his family to Northeast Ohio when he was young. Rockefeller, who went on to found the Standard Oil Company, left his mark on Northeast Ohio, donating money for parks, buildings, and some of the area's most beloved institutions.

Jim Tressel

Jim Tressel, born in Mentor Ohio and educated at Berea's Baldwin-Wallace College, has been the head coach of the Ohio State University fooball team since 2001. Tressel, whose previous coaching jobs include stints at the University of Akron, Miami University, and Youngstown State University, has a career winning percentage of over 73%.

Drew Carey -- Cleveland's Comedian

Drew Carey, born and raised in Cleveland, is best known for his "Drew Carey Show," which ran ten years and featured a host of Cleveland references. Carey, now an LA resident, is still a fan of Cleveland sports teams and makes frequent visits to the city.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its 2007 inductees on January 8, 2007. These talented musicians, producers, and songwriters -- R.E.M, Van Halen, Patti Smith, the Ronettes, and Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five -- will be honored at the annual Induction ceremony in New York City on March 12, 2007 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

Architect Philip Johnson

Philip Johnson, born in Cleveland, was a museum director, writer, and, most notably, an architect known for his unconventional designs. He is best known for his 1949 "Glass House" in New Canaan CT.

Dennis Kucinich

Dennis Kucinich is a six-term Congressman from Ohio as well as a former Cleveland mayor and councilman. He is running for President in the 2008 election on a staunch anti-war campaign. Learn more about him here.

Football's -- and Cleveland's -- John Heisman

John Heisman, born in Cleveland's Ohio City in 1869, was an early player, coach, and advocate of the game that became America's passion. Today, he is best known as the man whose name adorns college football's most prestigious award, but John Heisman gave much more to the game than just a statuette.

Dr. Henry Schwan -- Father of the Decorated Christmas Tree

In 1851, the Rev. Heinrich Christian Schwan, a German immigrant and Lutheran pastor, added to Cleveland, Ohio's rich history when he introduced the first lighted Christmas tree in Zion Lutheran church and helped spread the tradition across America. Now, over a century and a half later, Schwan's "Tannenbaum," has branched out into numerous variations though its history remains rooted in Germanic tradition.

Carl B. Stokes

Carl B. Stokes is best known for being Cleveland's 51st mayor -- the first Afro-American mayor of a major United States city. He was also a soldier, a lawyer, a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, a broadcaster, a judge, a father, brother to a Congressman, and a US Ambassador. Read more about this fascinating Clevelander.

James Spangler - Inventor of the Hoover Vacuum Cleaner

James Spangler, a janitor from Canton Ohio, invented the vacuum cleaner in 1907. Read more about him in this biography from the About Guide to Inventors.

Thomas Edison

Born in Milan Ohio, west of Cleveland, Edison grew up to be one of the 20th century's most brilliant inventors. Visitors can tour his boyhood home and museum in Milan. Read more about Edison in this biography by the About Guide to Inventors.

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye, born August 28, 1981, is the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns in 2006. Learn more about him.

Eliot Ness

Many people remember Eliot Ness as the Treasury Agent who, with his group of "Untouchables," brought down Chicagoan Al Capone, but did you know that he spent time in Cleveland -- as the city's Director of Public Safety, as the Chairman of a NE Ohio safe manufacturer, and even as an (unsuccessful) candidate for mayor?

Viktor Schreckengost

Viktor Schreckengost, born in Sebring Ohio near Alliance, is a legendary designer and artist. His work has encompassed designing pottery for Rocky River based Cowan Pottery, teaching at Cleveland Institute of Art, and designing such diverse products as children's toys, dinnerware, lawn furniture, and a radar recognition system used during World War II.

Louis Bromfield: Mansfield's Favorite Son

Louis Bromfield, born in 1896, was a prolific author of 31 fiction and non-fictions works, including the 1927 Pulitzer Prize-winning "Early Autumn." In addition to writing, he is known for his 1000-acre Richland County farm, Malabar Farm, one of the first organic, self-sustaining farms in the country.

LeBron James

LeBron James swept into Northeast Ohio's consciousness when as a High School student in Akron, he shattered school and state basketball records. Today, the basketball phenom is the centerpiece of the Cleveland Cavaliers as well as a model of how to handle a meteoric rise to fame and wealth with style and class.

Terrence Howard

Terrence Howard, although born in Chicago, spent most of his formative years in Cleveland. The grandson of a noted New York stage actress, Howard, nonetheless resisted the tempations of acting until he was "discovered" on the streets of NYC. He has proven himself a skilled actor, with roles in "Crash," "Their Eyes Were Watching God," and "The Best Man." He was nominated for a 2005 Academy Award for Best Actor for his work in "Hustle and Flow."

Laura Paglin

Laura Paglin is a Cleveland Heights-based independent film maker. Her film, "No Umbrella - Election Day in the City," was one of 50 films chosen out of 4000 entries to be screened at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival.

Robert Lockwood Jr.

Grammy-award winning Bluesman, Robert Lockwood Jr is a Cleveland institution. Born in Arkansas, he brought his soulful sound to Cleveland in 1961. Now over 90 years old, he still plays weekly at Fat Fish Blue, downtown, as well as other periodic gigs.

Famous Clevelanders

Cleveland and the surrounding suburbs have been home to a diverse list of famous people, from Presidents to comedians, from actors to athletes. Learn more about those that were born or lived in Cleveland.

Jeptha Wade

Jeptha Wade was the founder of Western Union Telegraph Company and a big Cleveland philathropist during the late 19th century. His generousity helped make possible the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Zoo, and Lakeview Cemetery, among other institutions.

Les Roberts

Learn more about Les Roberts, Cleveland-based mystery author and former Hollywood screenwriter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Wow, so many influential people. This needs to be posted in the "10 most powerful states" thread in the city vs city section. People are always mentioning where people came from over there and how it somehow makes their state the most powerful lol. I had no idea half these people were from NE Ohio.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Wow, so many influential people. This needs to be posted in the "10 most powerful states" thread in the city vs city section. People are always mentioning where people came from over there and how it somehow makes their state the most powerful lol. I had no idea half these people were from NE Ohio.
I'll do it, lol......I love it....You just gave me an idea!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
That list doesn't include arguably the greatest actor of all-time: PAUL NEWMAN from Shaker Heights!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
That list doesn't include arguably the greatest actor of all-time: PAUL NEWMAN from Shaker Heights!
I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT HIM....thank you soo much for mentioning that.....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Halle Berry

Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Halle Berry
DID IT AGAIN!!!!, lol..matter of fact, she lived over in bedford right around the corner from my brother

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 AM

458 posts, read 1,222,827 times
Great List! Didn't realize there were so many!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Tim Conway

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Does anyone remember Sean Young? She made a few popular movies back in the 80s.

Anyway, back in 1972-73 we took a contract at Case Western Reserve and lived in Cleveland Hts. for 2 years. My daughter went to Roxboro Junior High and befriended Sean. She must have been 13 at the time. It made me nervous because Sean was quite the rebel, even back then. She was kind of a gawky kid with a very distinct face. She got into some amazing and intense fights with a social studies teacher named David Swarts. It was more than 40 years ago and I still remember this one fight like it happened yesterday.

I always thought she was the kid most likely to end up in juvenile hall, but to my surprise I saw her a few years later in the movies. I was also happily surprised to see she had grown into that face and had become quite pretty (Of course, I wasn't surprised to see that she did a few scenes butt naked, LOL )

I wonder what she's doing now? Maybe she settled down and moved back to Cleveland. Nothing would surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: