Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times

Advertisements

This jumping on maverick808 is silly. The thread is called, "Why are people so down on Cleveland," and he dared give an answer besides "because they're stupid," "because they're ignorant," or "because they're boring." Of course, the usual suspects predictably went ballistic on him for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM

364 posts, read 715,602 times
I did not read through all the posts, but my reasoning for people being so down on Cleveland is that a lot of the older residents have seen Cleveland decline rather rapidly from being a highly populated and bustling city. Cleveland is still a great city, but I can only imagine that it pales in comparison to what the city was like at its peak. You hear a lot of older folks saying "back in my day, things were like this and like that" and that subconsciously tarnishes a lot of the younger residents perspective of the city. People tend to underestimate how cancerous that whole pessimistic way of thinking can be. A lot of it is also fueled by the unwarranted "Cleveland bashing" from the media.

And actually, from my experiences, it seems like Clevelanders have more civic pride than Cincinnatians. People in Cleveland tend to have more polarizing opinions of the city;people either really love or hate the city. In Cincy, you find many people that are indifferent and have just a "blah" feeling about the city.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,063 times
Hi, my name is kelly and I will be bringing my disabled daughter to a concert in july at the Playhouse Theater in Cleveland....does an yone know about that area? (The area where the theater is located) My father is having anxiety about me going there (or anywhere for that matter) traveling from a suburb of Chicago. Any input appreciated

Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krowden View Post
Hi, my name is kelly and I will be bringing my disabled daughter to a concert in july at the Playhouse Theater in Cleveland....does an yone know about that area? (The area where the theater is located) My father is having anxiety about me going there (or anywhere for that matter) traveling from a suburb of Chicago. Any input appreciated
It's in Playhouse Square which is one of the largest collection of theaters in the country. There are hotels right there and nearby. There's really not much to worry about other than normal travel safety. It's a major draw regionally for theater-goers. Any particular concerns?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM

283 posts, read 369,895 times
Sorry to say, but "back in their day" Cleveland was HIGHLY polluted, Lake Erie was considered dead and there was an enormous amount of urban blight in the city. Was it such a great place back then and is it perhaps a better place now? Frankly, from driving through often in the 60's and 70's, I remember it as not being nearly as nice as it is presently. There were few tall buildings, it stank and felt neglected and run down. In other words, would you really want to live in the Cleveland of the 1950's?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,174,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krowden View Post
Playhouse Square is located in a safe area adjacent to Cleveland State University's well populated campus. Downtown is essentially safe, in general. You're from a big city and I'm sure you realize that everything is relative (you'll have your occasional panhandler and such). But crime in downtown is low and usually limited to after-hours type nonsense. There are several hotels within easy walking distance, also. I'd recommend the Wyndham which is right across the street.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 612 times
Brutus me too I am studying in OSU freakin tired of this place can't wait to move back to cleveland. Columbus is for zombies lifeless people.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Fun fact: the previous last post on this thread was from the same month I joined this forum. Memories!

Bucketrance is certainly correct though. Been there.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 AM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Cleveland has lost nearly 2/3rds of its population. 56% of Ohioans who move, move out of state. People are down on Cleveland because its a post rust-belt city....no jobs. Jobs are the #1 reason people leave, retirement is #2. They leave when they must and when they can. When they arrive at their new destinations, they tell others what their impressions of Cleveland were, and the word of mouth spreads.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...d/95-558079459

https://patch.com/ohio/cleveland/peo...hio-here-s-why

Even LeBron left.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Even LeBron left.
So? Lebron also left Miami. And he's not from Cleveland (just ask him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland