Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info on Mentor, Mentor on the Lake, Kirtland Hills and/or Fairport Harbor. I realize FH is not a suburb of Cleveland and a different type of thing.

I have heard good things about Mentor HS. Are they correct? What about the neighborhoods?

Thanks. Lived in the W suburbs many many years ago and just had driven thru the above areas. Could use some info, a possibility of a relocation exists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,056 times
So what did you decide, Kasey77? I'm kind of in the same boat. I moved to Raleigh right after college, which has been about 20 years. Something always draws me to Cleveland; although, when I come back to visit, it just seems to be run down looking and feeling. Not sure how much of the draw is the childhood memories, etc. that you can never get back no matter where you live and whether I truly remember how awful it is to have to shovel snow. But I flip flop alot on whether to move back and give it a try...I miss the sports the most and also have family there.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM

256 posts, read 736,462 times
Hi Rjgabor,
I am still flip flopping, too. And for the same reasons as you. And for some financial reasons. I am living in So.Cal. I think I am going to have to stay here for a while. I am really ambivalent like you. Have not been in a winter in years. I was shocked at how deteriorated it is and how depressed it is there. But, I like you, I have family and heart strings. And a lot I do miss.
One of the main reasons I have to stay here now is health insurance and that is a biggie! If it was not for that, I would seriously consider moving back, depression and all. There is still a lot of great to Cleveland. I miss the rain in summer and all that green. The metro parks, wonderful people that don't move as much as I have and our stable. The community of spirit Cleveland has, fall, family, and much more.
Good luck on your decision!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,056 times
Probably in the short-term, I'll continue to enjoy my visits 2-3 times a year to get my family and sports fixes...it's a 1 hour direct flight from Raleigh, so at least I'm lucky there.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 PM

54 posts, read 149,166 times
Clevelander 17 'if you know where to look?' what's with the mystery? EVERYONE wants to know where to look in cleveland for a job!!! Get back to me on my radio show... i dont check the posts in this forum.

blogtalkradio.com/wendy-w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Well, how long have you been away? Cleveland hasn't changed that much in the past 5-10 years. It's still struggling economically, but there are a lot of opportunities if you know where to look.

Up until about a week ago, I lived in Phoenix for about 15 months. I had a little bit of family out there, but no real good friends. Other than that, there were a lot of other things that I didn't really like about the Valley of the Sun. So now I'm back in Cleveland and I don't regret it one bit.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,315 times
Default Showplace house on picturesque acres. Seperate apt. also.

I have both a house and a one bedroom apartment in a separate building for rent. Half of my pristine historic home can be seperated and rented out... It was built in two phases, seperate but attached.. I could rent it to the right person/family: three to four bedrooms, as well as two additional small rooms (child size) and 2 baths. Picturesque show place country setting on a few white fenced acres, Geauga County area. Walk to gorgeous tiny town. Upscale, beautiful Amish area.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I moved down to the Charlotte, NC area, actually just across the boarder in SC, and I too will never move back to the Cleveland area again. I got sick and tired of dealing w/ lake effect snow (haven't seen any here in my 3 yrs being here), having highways constantly full of potholes (they are in good shape here, but need to be widened to accomadate the influx of 75,000 people per year), not much in the way of job opportunities (was laid off from my job, spent 4 months looking for work, found none, got hired immediately down here), and the stuck up type neighbors I had in Pepper Pike and Beachwood. No, those areas weren't run down, they looked nice, but the people there aren't nice at all. No, I can't imagine moving back up there ever, or anywhere in Ohio ever again. Their are so many better more economically thriving places to live. Even my parents are now about to move out, to go down to Charleston, Sc, though they are retiring. Even my friends who are still in Cleveland or Columbus are actively looking to get out.

Yikes, I can't wait to leave the same area you live in. I can not stand Charlotte metro area and it's "where do you live, what do you drive, who's your people, what church do you attend yuppie" attitude. I've never in my life ever experienced so many greedy, rude people EVER. Especially the horrible way they drive and the amount of illegals down here, and how many people don't have insurance on their cars.

You want to talk about stuck up? Hang around Tega Cay or the real stuck up-I "pretend" I got money area of Lake Norman.

Bunch of phonies down here, all they talk about is their 300,000 dollar homes and their suv's (why have them for all the snow storms?) It is by far the greediest area I've ever seen.

I have met very few people in the Charlotte metro area, that I'd call sincere.
I'll take the midwestern values and common sense anyday.

I'd go home down if I could get rid of my condo without taking a loss.

And what is so economically great about Charlotte? with 1,000's of job losses on the horizon in a few weeks? My own company has laid off over 600 people in Charlotte in the last year.

You may think it's booming down here, but trust me, most people down here, live for show, and they do it paycheck to paycheck.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:33 AM

256 posts, read 736,462 times
I was at the chiropractors on Wednesday and got to talking to his new partner. Some how we were on the conversation about Cleveland. He was there for a conference and this was his perspective: "Wow! I was shocked, I thought it would be all industrial. It was really beautiful. I never saw so much green. And the homes have space between them. I was really shocked how much home you can get there. And I never thought Cleveland would be so beautiful. The only thing was all the stores are closed up."
Thought it was great to hear some one who was never there see the beauty there.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:53 AM

60 posts, read 152,898 times
I think Ohio is better for older folks. The younger set (<35) are all itching to get out.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I just moved back to Ohio after being gone almost twenty years. Finally, I feel that I am back to my roots. We lived in the south WAY TOO LONG. "This Yankee" is glad to be home. We did move to the Mentor area, but I grew up in the Canton/Akron area. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to get out Ohio, when I did leave I couldn't wait to get back. We lived all over the SE part of the United States. It just was never "home". Ohio will always be home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland