Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM

805 posts, read 2,004,454 times

Advertisements

Hey boxy..... I get it.... believe it or not they taught all that there stuff in them thar schools way up north too... it was just as you have outlined... in detail.... in the classes more commonly known as "American History".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sheesh. Who knew a simple question would open such a can of worms.

I think I'm sorry I asked!
Don't be sorry!

It is an interesting question and one that, obviously, raises some debatable, maybe, sensitive issues.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Hey boxy..... I get it.... believe it or not they taught all that there stuff in them thar schools way up north too... it was just as you have outlined... in detail.... in the classes more commonly known as "American History".
He's not saying peopel up North don't know what a palntation, it just doesn't carry the same emotional resonance and baggage as it does down south where the plantations actually were.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,454 times
OK... so now I'm confused.... some said there is no historical "baggage" and some say there "IS" historical baggage.... what a conundrum.

All I know for sure is we moved here, along with "approximately" a gazillion others before us and many more to come I'm sure..... and we are happy here and I couldn't care less what occurred or did not occur on land in the area 150 years ago.... and if the place wasn't called a plantation we would have come anyway..... AND I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the great majority of those gazillions that came before us couldn't care less either..... just my thought though.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
He's not saying peopel up North don't know what a palntation, it just doesn't carry the same emotional resonance and baggage as it does down south where the plantations actually were.
Actually, I got the opposite inference: that Southerners know that "plantations" refer to "large estates" and the term is associated with luxury and a good life (in a quaint, antiquated sense), while it sounded like (some) Northerners hear the term and immediately think "Oh no, they are trivializing slavery!" because a lot of Northerners still think Southerners "are still fighting the Civil War" and condone(d) slavery.

I'm not aware of any "emotional baggage" with the term here. One of the nicest hotels in (outside of) Raleigh for years was called the Plantation Inn.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
I think it really depends on who you're talking to and their background. Growing up in Coastal Carolina, and taking field trips to places like Foscue Plantation and seeing the basement where they'd chain slaves up or the Crockett-Miller Slave quarters where 22 people were housed in 24x17 foot room. For me when I hear plantation the first thing that comes to mind are large Antebellum farms fielded by slaves.

But hey, what could be more "luxurious" than having slaves? It seems even the plantatios themselves want to put forth that face of "luxury rural living".

Welcome to the official website of the Foscue Plantation located in Pollocksville, NC just ten miles south of New Bern.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
I understand that most "plantation" developments were just farm lands and were never associated with any type of plantation--I think Wakefield is on such misnomer.

It sounds really good to transplants I suppose?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
It just sounds like a name to me. I don't conger up images of anything. Kinda like calling it Richard's Estates or Richard's Colony. It's just a name. The name is popular right now. It will pass.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM

24 posts, read 26,090 times
Housing subdivisions are large tracts of land consisting entirely of newly-built residences whereas A plantation is a long artificially established forest, farm or estate, where crops are grown for sale, often in distant markets rather than for local on-site consumption.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 29,037 times
Wow. "Plantation" with reference to a new community is just being used to name a subdivision. Whether it's a master-planned community (golf courses, clubhouses/pavilions, schools, etc), a golf course community or just a regular subdivision will take some research.

It is truly amazing how people will grasp at straws to take a conversation in a completely ridiculous direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina