Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 35,506 times

Advertisements

Okay,so I've lived in major cities before but I've been living in Greenville NC for the past 8 years.A co-worker and I were debating today about what is wrong and why isn't Greenville NC growing.I firmly believe it is because they have built this city around the medical community,the airport here has not changed in the past 20 years although they did get a jet service recently.They said its because no major highways run through this city of course in the back of ones mind they could be somewhat right but I think its because of politics we here in NC are not good with change and we keep the same offices filled by the same (southern boys) every year.We have just created a huge problem with the lottery which is not going to rush to enhance our education system as it was initially intended to do.the poor play the lottery who cannot afford to play even though I welcome the lottery we are not seeing the results as promised.Rome wasn't created in one night and Greenville NC surrounds itself with the same old southern politics that change isn't good.Marc Basanight is doing all he can to bring up our coastal towns but that may or may not trickle down to Greenville area.So if you have an opinion on how Greenville could change please respond with your thoughts I'd welcome any suggestions.I still feel as though I am right that we have centered ourselves around ECU and the medical community but with major insurance carriers pulling out of PCMH it does speak volumes about the future our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 11:58 PM

505 posts, read 2,547,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck_in_nc View Post
Okay,so I've lived in major cities before but I've been living in Greenville NC for the past 8 years.A co-worker and I were debating today about what is wrong and why isn't Greenville NC growing.I firmly believe it is because they have built this city around the medical community,the airport here has not changed in the past 20 years although they did get a jet service recently.They said its because no major highways run through this city of course in the back of ones mind they could be somewhat right but I think its because of politics we here in NC are not good with change and we keep the same offices filled by the same (southern boys) every year.We have just created a huge problem with the lottery which is not going to rush to enhance our education system as it was initially intended to do.the poor play the lottery who cannot afford to play even though I welcome the lottery we are not seeing the results as promised.Rome wasn't created in one night and Greenville NC surrounds itself with the same old southern politics that change isn't good.Marc Basanight is doing all he can to bring up our coastal towns but that may or may not trickle down to Greenville area.So if you have an opinion on how Greenville could change please respond with your thoughts I'd welcome any suggestions.I still feel as though I am right that we have centered ourselves around ECU and the medical community but with major insurance carriers pulling out of PCMH it does speak volumes about the future our town.
I do think it has a lot to do with major highways. But...I think some of it has to do with Raleigh, why go to Greenville when you can come here? We have the large airport, all the big schools, great school system, RTP, interstates...etc. I believe this hurts Greenville's chances. And the small town thinking politicians do not help. But they tried to change Kinston with the Global transpark. So far, it has not worked. So maybe it is not a matter of politics? A Global transpark is big time...if it works. Politics made this happen. This is the kind of thing that made Raleigh the town it is today...RTP

I think the main reason Greenville is not growing more than it is, would probably be because of Raleigh, and the local school system in Greenville. Notice everytime on this message board when someone ask a question about our towns, the first question is....what about the schools!

Here is my prediction. The Global Transpark in Kinston WILL take off. It's just a matter of time. It has only been 8 years now since they built the place. I saw a show on WRAL news here in Raleigh that said RTP took just as long to get going. Fact is, local officials have not given up on the transpark in Kinston, they are still building buildings there for future tenants. They have widened the roads to four lanes, they are building the hwy 70 bypass. They have the largest runway in NC. It is just a matter of time. When this happens, Greenville will look very nice to people....just like Raleigh does now. You watch!

Old 11-20-2006, 12:27 AM

4 posts, read 45,197 times
Believe it or not Greenville, NC is actually one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Being from Eastern North Carolina Greenville has change a lot since the 1980's and even the 90's. I have notice the change in transportation, developement on land and housing in the city too.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 AM

146 posts, read 639,385 times
what is the crime rate in Greenville? is there a perceived crime problem? People and businesses do not want to settle down in areas that they dont consider safe.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,362,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck_in_nc View Post
I think the college (PCC and ECU) is what has saved the area. Greenville is in one of the poorest parts of the state and if memory serves me, the medical school was built there because of the disparities in access to health care. It has an excellent reputation. I didn't realize that about the insurers and PCMH (why?) I have been to Greenville since Floyd, and was amazed at how easy it was to get there now - HWY64 is 2-lanes in each direction! If I was at the beginning of my career, I would most assuredly move there (or CH-Durham) specifically for the professional schools. My daughter considered ECU for education, but felt it to be too far away (1995) ECU was one of the first senior institutions to offer NC Teaching Fellows program.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 11-20-2006 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: I can't spell

Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 AM

26 posts, read 113,000 times
I am looking to visit greene county in the next couple of weeks. I would really like to make contact with a realtor. My areas of interest are Snow Hill,
Walstonburg and Hookerton. If any one out there knows of a realtor please reply.
I'm still Interviewing in Kinston. I was back and fourth with paperwork. I just hope this is the final round and that I could have a definite answer one way or the other.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 PM

787 posts, read 3,588,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy1 View Post
I am looking to visit greene county in the next couple of weeks. I would really like to make contact with a realtor. My areas of interest are Snow Hill,
Walstonburg and Hookerton. If any one out there knows of a realtor please reply.
I'm still Interviewing in Kinston. I was back and fourth with paperwork. I just hope this is the final round and that I could have a definite answer one way or the other.
I live in Snow Hill and I am originally from here as well. You don't want to live in the area that is served by the Town of Hookerton for electricity. Contact me before you actually decide which area you are interested in. You need to get in a Progress Engery area and not a Pitt and Greene or Town of Hookerton.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,122,947 times
I agree with NC Star. The Greenville/Winterville area is going to town with new businesses, homes and road improvements everywhere. Now the governor is pushing for a dental school there and will help. While it is true that nothing is going on north of the river there is a reason for that. Flooding and Greenville putting a ban on building there. Greenville is currently working on a plan to remove 40 or so blocks of dilapidated houses in NW Greenville and replace them with updated housing.

I have friends who come down from Maryland. They all expect Greenville to be cows and cornfields. When they get here they are quite amazed at how much there is here and all of the growth that is plain to see.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM

45 posts, read 218,935 times
Smile greenville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I think the college (PCC and ECU) is what has saved the area. Greenville is in one of the poorest parts of the state and if memory serves me, the medical school was built there because of the disparities in access to health care. It has an excellent reputation. I didn't realize that about the insurers and PCMH (why?) I have been to Greenville since Floyd, and was amazed at how easy it was to get there now - HWY64 is 2-lanes in each direction! If I was at the beginning of my career, I would most assuredly move there (or CH-Durham) specifically for the professional schools. My daughter considered ECU for education, but felt it to be too far away (1995) ECU was one of the first senior institutions to offer NC Teaching Fellows program.
Hi! I was an ECU Teaching Fellow ... class of 98! First year of Teaching was during Floyd ... what an experience!!

My husband and I are considering a move back to Greenville after living in FL 7 years. We went back 2 weeks ago to look at housing and we were happy with what we saw.

Schooling is another issue ... we're crazy but maybe will help start a "university-model" (google NAUMS) school up there. There is definitely a need! It's part homeschool/part private school. My daughter attends one hear in Orlando and we all LOVE it! (icsfla.org)

Anyone from Greenville ... buy in southwest area or out towards Simpson? thanks!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,122,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2hn
Anyone from Greenville ... buy in southwest area or out towards Simpson? thanks!
It depends on what you're looking for.

West of Greenville.... Lowest prices of new homes but they're packed tight. $90 to $200

Southwest.... You get a little more room but they're a little more expensive. $150 to $450

Simpson area.... You get the 2nd nicest houses and lots of land with prices to match. $200 and up

The nicest subdivisions I've seen thus far are up on 43 by the golf course. Bring your big checkbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina