Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 AM

181 posts, read 338,787 times

Advertisements

You do realize that $379.00 for 100 lb of "propain" is $16.06 per gallon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 PM

566 posts, read 1,106,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travistarrant40 View Post
Here is my situation,
I am 40 years old and I'm awaiting a decision to find out if I will get disability due to heart problems that might even require me to be put on a transplant list. I am also raising a six year old son on my own. We currently live in Raleigh and I love it here, but have lived here all of my life and I'm ready for a change of scenery plus with a limited income, I just can't afford it here anymore.
Would it be wise to move to the outer banks, Kitty Hawk/Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area mostly? Is there much that a child can do there aside from the beaches and the other tourist spots?
My dd moved to Manteo in 04. She now lives in Nags Head. Can't wait to get back to IN. She hates knowing there IS NOTHING there. NOTHING. She drives to VA for shopping at nice stores, good drs/dentists, and car repairs.
She absolutely detests knowing she can't find a nice place for under $800 a month (for small apt/condo) and is living in a room attached to one of those million dollar places on stilts practically in the water. Her place is full of lizards, toads, poisonous spiders and MILDEW from the damp.
Her mail is screwed up for she HAS TO HAVE a P.O Box. The tourist season is the worst. She moved there because of dh work. Now he left her when she signed up at the College of the ALbermarle full time and she wants to finish. She is very depressed.
I just dread hurricane season. She gets worse.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 36,870 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
You do realize that $379.00 for 100 lb of "propain" is $16.06 per gallon?
Yes I relize that "propain is not measured by the "gallon".
100lbs. does not nor will ever = 100 gallons

Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Living on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke island as a permenant, year round resident requires a very special person.
For this type of person, these islands are pure Heaven. For everyone else it's pure Hell. These are islands-Sand dunes in the sea.
There are other options, many, many other options for living along the outer/inner banks all up and down the NC Coast. Each option is unique in of itself and will have a specific appeal to a specific person.
Bill

Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 35,851 times
What ever happened to nlblueyes and medicwife....I came across their thread, and was anxiously awaiting to raed that nlblueyes had found a job etc, and the post stops....I'm a handyman, carpenter, cabinetmaker, and also looking to move to the OBX, or along the other side of the lagoon, maybe Morehead area, or New Bern...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 19,466 times
Cool Living in OBX - recommended or not?

This is more of a question than a reply . . . I too am looking to relocate to OBX. We have 2 teen girls and a 5th grade boy. We currently live in Colorado and want to get back closer to my aging parents. Frankly, as awesome as skiing and snowboarding is, 6 months of living in the snow is a little much. I'm ready to trade my snow boots for flip-flops! My question to the locals, how are the schools in OBX? They rate well but wondering if it is hard for a new comer to "break in". Any pros and cons that you guys have . . . would be greatly appreciated. Never lived in a resort area before and wondering how it would be. What is the biggest negative and the greatest positive about OBX living?

Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM

375 posts, read 912,319 times
Default hey beach girl

I have heard that the schools are small but that it's just like any other small beach town -- it takes awhile to break in, but if your kids are doing activities outside, they'll meet all the local kids and eventually find friends.

PM me -- I am in a similar boat and wondering what places you have researched w/the OBX area.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 19,095 times
Does anyone have any inside information about Manteo/Roanoke Island? What are the best neighborhoods to live in? Any areas that are more apt to flooding or storm damage? How much does insurance cost there as opposed to the barrier island itself?

Also, as far as jobs - how great is the need for information technology (computer programming/repair/networks/web site development) and accounting/clerical work in the Outer Banks area?

This may just be a pipe dream or a retirement plan for the future, but I'd like to get as many facts as possible. Thank you for your help.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 18,966 times
i lived on the obx for 8 years i didnt know what i had till i left the econemy there is like every where else it is suffering it is a tourest place. and it is a privlage to be a local implant or born on it is a mixture of all walks of life......the beauty of the place makes up for the occasional bad weather it is just a part of the price you pay for paradise....the rent is high the gas, incurenc is higher not ba though eletric is high it is brought on to the island... it is not deselet there there is hospitals drs k-mart walmart food lions harris teeters and lots of other shops ect.....the beach life is is laid back.... the kids are nice my son atteded first flight elm and middle the ed he recived was wonderful the faculties are newer......as for moving to there affordibly it is not.... my familey left there about a year ago and moved to northwestern nc the mountins are nice the people are well diffrent not a day goes by i dont long for my beach... i moved there from CT..it was a ajustment not to have all that shoping (norfolk and VA beach chessapeek mall ect about 1 hr from kdh...) but i loved that life the ocean the people and the fresh air just living ....we left cause the jobs where far and few me and my hubby are fireemts and wanted more opps and training im in school now. and know that one day ill return to the beach...with experence and better paying jobs to live off of till then it is missed and for anyone making the change to be a banker you are blessed.. i hope that answers some ?????

Old 04-10-2010, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 18,502 times
I personally have been born and raised on the outer banks although I know there is much more than this I would say that I love it as a teenager there is not much to do and as a young adult there are many more pros than cons the Outer Banks is not the cheapest place to live nor does it hold the widest variety for job listings however it is quiet, beautiful, full of history and i would not change it for any city in the world. Locals are friendly and life is very laid back. For those that enjoy city life bright lights and busy life this is not the place for you. I can tell you that there is not a place on this beach in it's small existice that I can honestly say i dont feel safe or would recomend not living in any certian neighborhood. The worst crime that I have heard of lately around here is a stolen hammock. so in whatever journey that is decided within your path of life if it leads you here welcome with open arms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina