Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 14,571 times

Advertisements

Mother Earth Brewery in Kinston, NC is tremendous. Just saw the facility and had some of their beer. Really good stuff. Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,187 times
Default Wilmington - East Carolina in general

This assesment of Wilmington as a place to move and 'work' is essentially correct. Great professional area for medical, legal, owner-operated business, etc. This is essentially a true, (wonderful, beautiful area) - Retirees who have paid their dues, love the waterways, beaches, restaurants, etc. - they flock to this area. Good for them (I am one). The movie-making biz has a modest presence here. However - the pay drops off - $ 10.00/hr - you apparently have some special admin or organizational skills. Going to school,waitressing, retire, live on the beach to surf - right on! Otherwise be careful about moving here for a career to support a young family.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,117 times
We (myself, significant other, and dog) recently (3 weeks ago) moved to Wilmington, NC from Buffalo, NY. We absolutely love it. Yes, we are having some trouble finding work. Myself in Human Services and him in banking. he's having a bit of an easier time than myself. Aside from our job hunt, which is hard but not impossible, there are many other things we love about the area. The downtown area is nice. It's small but there's a great variety.of bars, restaurants, shopping and sight seeing. Including a rooftop bar, coffee shops, fresh sea food, a board walk and night-life. Close to our place is Wrightsville Beach with more fantastic hole-in-the-wall sea food, many beautiful rental properties and of course a nice beach for sunset walks after dinner. We're also very into walking, hiking and getting some exercise with our dog. Great walking at Greenfield Lake (4mi. paved/sand/bridge), Hugh MacRae park, Carolina Beach State Park (Great hiking trails and "dog beach"), Poplar Grove plantation (Abbey Nature preserve), and close enough to take day trips to Myrtle Beach (Nice dog park called "barc park"). Our bills are cheaper and we feel like we got more of a "deal" on our place compared to where we were living in Buffalo, NY. We pay about the same for rent that we did and have a nice 2b/2b place. While our bills aren't significantly cheaper, it does help. Gas is roughly 20-30 cents cheaper depending on the station. It's more convenient to have only an electric and water bill every month instead of gas, electric, water(we rent). The people seem very nice here. In the time that we've been here we've made some friends and find it easy to socialize with everyone.

overall, we are VERY happy we moved here and have few complaints with the area. I guess when your used to cold, snowy winters with no sun for weeks... it's not hard to enjoy it here.

Hope this helps people make a decision. I would have appreciated some input like this before we moved.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,458 times
So glad to hear that! I am moving from northern Wisconsin in June. With my two daughters. I have been researching jobs, neighborhoods and schools. Coming out a week or so before my daughters come out to get settled. I too am looking forward to more sun and warm weather!! I appreciate your experiences!!
Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifermv View Post
We (myself, significant other, and dog) recently (3 weeks ago) moved to Wilmington, NC from Buffalo, NY. We absolutely love it. Yes, we are having some trouble finding work. Myself in Human Services and him in banking. he's having a bit of an easier time than myself. Aside from our job hunt, which is hard but not impossible, there are many other things we love about the area. The downtown area is nice. It's small but there's a great variety.of bars, restaurants, shopping and sight seeing. Including a rooftop bar, coffee shops, fresh sea food, a board walk and night-life. Close to our place is Wrightsville Beach with more fantastic hole-in-the-wall sea food, many beautiful rental properties and of course a nice beach for sunset walks after dinner. We're also very into walking, hiking and getting some exercise with our dog. Great walking at Greenfield Lake (4mi. paved/sand/bridge), Hugh MacRae park, Carolina Beach State Park (Great hiking trails and "dog beach"), Poplar Grove plantation (Abbey Nature preserve), and close enough to take day trips to Myrtle Beach (Nice dog park called "barc park"). Our bills are cheaper and we feel like we got more of a "deal" on our place compared to where we were living in Buffalo, NY. We pay about the same for rent that we did and have a nice 2b/2b place. While our bills aren't significantly cheaper, it does help. Gas is roughly 20-30 cents cheaper depending on the station. It's more convenient to have only an electric and water bill every month instead of gas, electric, water(we rent). The people seem very nice here. In the time that we've been here we've made some friends and find it easy to socialize with everyone.

overall, we are VERY happy we moved here and have few complaints with the area. I guess when your used to cold, snowy winters with no sun for weeks... it's not hard to enjoy it here.

Hope this helps people make a decision. I would have appreciated some input like this before we moved.
Have you walked the loop at Wrightsville yet? It's a nice walk as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,073 times
I lived in Wilmington, and although it wasn't my favorite, it's not as bad as this person puts on. The city is generally nice, as it's a very touristy town. Especially the newer developed mall/restaurant area, and the fun downtown (by the river) area. And most towns' high paying jobs are the professional jobs... so that's not a big revelation there. This person just needs to move if they're unhappy there & can't find the specific type of job they want. We had several family members come visit us while we lived there, and LOVED it- it's an awesome town to find things to do, and to show off. Everyone we knew was jealous of us living there, and some good friends are getting ready to retire there (well, down closer to Kure Beach). My only complaints are: a lot of the non-chain restaurants seem to take advantage of the tourism, & aren't very good, but are expensive. I kept being diappointed, so just kept to Macaroni Grill & Red Robin for eating out. And two, travel is hard, because it's wicked expensive to fly into the small airport there (and too far to get to a major airport).

Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 AM

we've heard about the loop... still not quite sure what it is though. Someone told us there was a "dog friendly" bar there. Would be fun to bring the dog with us to the beach and still be able to have a drink without taking her back home.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 AM

I've actually found that you can get super cheap flights and deals if you fly out of myrtle beach airport. With it only being about an hour away, it is worth it for us. DirectAIR ®: Compressed air utility service, direct air just had a $169.00 round trip sale going on! it doesn't get cheaper than that.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifermv View Post
we've heard about the loop... still not quite sure what it is though. Someone told us there was a "dog friendly" bar there. Would be fun to bring the dog with us to the beach and still be able to have a drink without taking her back home.
It's just a two mile walk(sidewalks) around the canal,park,etc. right before you get to the beach.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,527 times
Wilmington is a pretty nice place. It has all of the usual you would expect for a city this size -- the Walmarts, the Home Depot's the car dealerships, etc. The usual chain restaurants. It also has a very attractive historic downtown, many good non-chain restaurants, a university, a beautiful ocean beach, live plays and other entertainment, nice people. It has an airport that through Delta and USAirways it is possible to connect to most of the US, and flying in and out is not difficult. Compared to the northeast housing costs are reasonable. The summer climate is very hot and humid, but not so different from those of most of the mid-atlantic. The winters are relatively mild. The area is suffering from the same economic slowdown as most of the country, so it would be risky moving here without a job for anyone. Right now moving anywhere without a job is risky. Every person needs to look realistically at his or her own situation, but for those who can support themselves here it can be a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina