Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,195 times

Advertisements

I know this post may upset some people, but Wilmington, NC is a city that most people should "steer clear" of.

Here are my reasons:

1) Lack of good paying jobs. Unless you are a doctor, lawyer, accountant, or a professional in the medical field, most jobs in ILM pay a whopping salary of $10 an hour. And on top of that, employers want 5 yrs of experience...what a joke.

2) Crime rate. Wilmington is on the list of the top 10 US cities, with populations of 75-90K, that have a high crime rate.

3) Lack of companies or industry in the ILM area. Wilmington is essentially nothing more than a retail town. The only big company in the area is GE, which has a nuclear plant and facility.

4)Unlike other towns in NC like Greenville and Chapel Hill, the local university, UNCW, has little influence on the town. The town did not grow around UNCW. UNCW essentially just fills some space in ILM.

5)Eduation is not valued. I feel that most employers in ILM do not want to hire someone with a college degree. They would rather hire someone with a GED who is willing to work for $10 an hour for the rest of their life.

6) It seems like a vast majority of the people in ILM are not educated and have been content working in some dead end job. Now let me reiterate this point. Everyone in ILM is not poor and stupid, but for the most part people are not well off.

7) Wilmington gets 56 inches of rain per year. Wilmington is one of the top 10 wettest cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 PM

31 posts, read 107,561 times
I am not sure really what you expect out of Wilmington, For the same jobs in lets say New York or California you get paid $15 an hour, you pay much higher taxes and your cost of living is 3 to 4 times that of Wilmington.

By saying "Most jobs there pay $10 an hour" I find that shocking that so many people own homes there over $100K to $500K in Value and many drive new cars. Where does this money come from?

Rain is a reason to stay away from a town? It does not rain 75% of the time like Seattle, now there is a reason to stay away from a town, yet Seattle attracts a lot of people.

Sounds like you had a bad hiring experience, try another town then complain about it there too. Hardly anybody is hiring in case you didn't notice.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I know this post may upset some people, but Wilmington, NC is a city that most people should "steer clear" of.

Here are my reasons:

1) Lack of good paying jobs. Unless you are a doctor, lawyer, accountant, or a professional in the medical field, most jobs in ILM pay a whopping salary of $10 an hour. And on top of that, employers want 5 yrs of experience...what a joke.

2) Crime rate. Wilmington is on the list of the top 10 US cities, with populations of 75-90K, that have a high crime rate.

3) Lack of companies or industry in the ILM area. Wilmington is essentially nothing more than a retail town. The only big company in the area is GE, which has a nuclear plant and facility.

4)Unlike other towns in NC like Greenville and Chapel Hill, the local university, UNCW, has little influence on the town. The town did not grow around UNCW. UNCW essentially just fills some space in ILM.

5)Eduation is not valued. I feel that most employers in ILM do not want to hire someone with a college degree. They would rather hire someone with a GED who is willing to work for $10 an hour for the rest of their life.

6) It seems like a vast majority of the people in ILM are not educated and have been content working in some dead end job. Now let me reiterate this point. Everyone in ILM is not poor and stupid, but for the most part people are not well off.

7) Wilmington gets 56 inches of rain per year. Wilmington is one of the top 10 wettest cities in the US.
Well bless your heart! By all means - stay where you are.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 PM

24 posts, read 66,042 times
Oh, wilmington is not bad for jobs.. Try coming to Asheville to secure a decent job.. You might as well be making moonshine.. you'd do better with that gig.

Try, better yet, staying out of Pender County. You wanna talk about rednecks... woo! Discrimination is extremely high here, even though there is a lot of people from up north..
Crime? is it high.. Not sure, but it sure ain't a very safe county to live in... start google pender county.

I'd not send my worst enemy over there to live. Nice to visit, but do NOT live there. You'll regret it!

Not sure why you say ILM is such a bad place for jobs, they got the film studios over there... or are they now defunct? They'd produced many a film or movie and put lots of people to work.. and these were not dead ends jobs either!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
We have a select group of Boo Birds that say the same basic things about Greenville. Crime, jobs, and southerners tops the list of complaints.

Criminals will always gravitate to where the most opportunity is. Is the most opportunity out in the country where hardly anybody lives? No, it's not. It's where large concentrations of people are. If you have a neighborhood of 10 houses and a neighborhood of 1,000 house which one do you think will have the greatest chance of someone leaving somthing out or their doors unlocked?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,656 times
It's pretty obvious that some people post on here to vent or just to get a reaction out of people. It's easy to post negative generalities on a website...much harder to quote sources and back up statements with facts.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
It's pretty obvious that some people post on here to vent or just to get a reaction out of people. It's easy to post negative generalities on a website...much harder to quote sources and back up statements with facts.
They're called trolls and are best ignored.

It's fine to express one's disappointment or concerns about a particular area, but I'd like to see some specific data or information to back up claims.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:

Here are my reasons:

The average person in Wilmington makes more like $16/hour.

If you want a job, move to somewhere like Raleigh. The average family earns $76,900/year in Raleigh, compared to $58,000/year in Wilmington. That's about a 30% difference.
https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/refmaterials/hudmedinc/

Not to mention unemployment is about 7% - 8% in the triangle area, and about 10% in the Wilmington area.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.htm

Plus the cost of living is higher in Wilmington. A 3br house averages $177,200 in Raleigh, and $202,000 in Wilmington. (from zillow.com)

Wilmington is near the ocean , and people from all over the country are willing to pay more for that.

Quote:
A) I've never seen Wilmington listen in the top 10 and B) Wilmington has over 100k people.

Quote:
You're right that Wilmington is mainly a retail town. But don't forget employers like PPD, Corning, Verizon, and Invista.

Last edited by le roi; 12-07-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 PM

105 posts, read 353,386 times
Default It's not so bad...

While they may not have a bunch of jobs in the area, the Wilmington NC area is great for retirees, professors, and entrepreneurs. Leland offers great golf and there are lots of nice beaches and low key, small town, fun things to do.

deleted

Last edited by Beretta; 01-01-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S. by amount of annual rainfall is:

•Mobile, Alabama--67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
•Pensacola, Florida--65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
•New Orleans, Louisiana--64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
•West Palm Beach, Florida--63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
•Lafayette, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
•Baton Rouge, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
•Miami, Florida--62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
•Port Arthur, Texas--61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
•Tallahassee, Florida--61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
•Lake Charles, Louisiana--58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina