Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 20,450 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in an area that has so many toxic air and water pollution releases. Doesn't anyone but me notice the discusting toxic air and water in and around Wilmington? WAKE UP PEOPLE THEY ARE RUINING THIS TOWN RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Most of the politicians are corrupt and are getting paid off to attract high polluting industry at the health expense of us and our childen. The DAQ is also corrupt and allows it all to happen. After Carolina Cement/Titan opens the plant in Wilmington this area will be nearly as toxic as Elizabeth/Newark New Jersey. Get pissed like me and lets oust the corrupt Pirates out of office and do our best to get good people who support the interests of the working families who will protect and repair the environment (if it's not too late). I like the people here, they are good people for the most part. Too bad this area had/has potential to be a nice coastal city instead it's turning into a toxic waste port. I am also trying to leave because of pollution and corrupt politicians who are ruining this town. Donate to Stop Titan.org. fight now don't just sit there and let gov't and big business screw us again and again. No offense to others, I'm not a beach person because of the depleated o-zone you can't go out without gettings the beginings of skin cancer, so what you have left is strip malls. To me that is not really beautiful. You want beautiful visit the Adarondacs in NY. FIGHT NOW STOP TITAN FOR STARTERS. Don't say I didn't warn you.Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...#ixzz0aqShz5PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 20,450 times
Default get up stand up

I have never lived in an area that has so many toxic air and water pollution releases. Doesn't anyone but me notice the discusting toxic air and water in and around Wilmington? WAKE UP PEOPLE THEY ARE RUINING THIS TOWN RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Most of the politicians are corrupt and are getting paid off to attract high polluting industry at the health expense of us and our childen. The DAQ is also corrupt and allows it all to happen. After Carolina Cement/Titan opens the plant in Wilmington this area will be nearly as toxic as Elizabeth/Newark New Jersey. Get pissed like me and lets oust the corrupt Pirates out of office and do our best to get good people who support the interests of the working families who will protect and repair the environment (if it's not too late). I like the people here, they are good people for the most part. Too bad this area had/has potential to be a nice coastal city instead it's turning into a toxic waste port. I am also trying to leave because of pollution and corrupt politicians who are ruining this town. Donate to Stop Titan.org. fight now don't just sit there and let gov't and big business screw us again and again. No offense to others, I'm not a beach person because of the depleated o-zone you can't go out without gettings the beginings of skin cancer, so what you have left is strip malls. To me that is not really beautiful. You want beautiful visit the Adarondacs in NY. FIGHT NOW STOP TITAN FOR STARTERS. Don't say I didn't warn you

Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,392 times
Default Top ten rainiest cities!!

Wilmington might be wet but not the wettest....

The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S. by amount of annual rainfall include
Mobile, Alabama--67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
Pensacola, Florida--65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
New Orleans, Louisiana--64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
West Palm Beach, Florida--63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
Lafayette, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
Baton Rouge, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
Miami, Florida--62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
Port Arthur, Texas--61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
Tallahassee, Florida--61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
Lake Charles, Louisiana--58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days

The study ranked 195 cities in the contiguous 48 states by the [URL="http://www.livescience.com/environment/070308_pollution_rain.html"]amount of rainfall[/URL] they received annually over a 30-year period, although Olympia actually had the most rainy days on average across the three decades (63) of all the cities in the study. Mobile came in second on the latter scale, with 59 average annual rainy days. (Several cities in Alaska and Hawaii actually receive more than 100 inches of rain a year, but were not included in the study.)

Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 AM

17 posts, read 49,550 times
Wow, isn't anyone empowered to delete this entire post? it appears the non-factual gripes are overwhelming and an aweful read to boot.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
I couldn't get past the ALL CAPS letters.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPlayNC View Post
Wow, isn't anyone empowered to delete this entire post? it appears the non-factual gripes are overwhelming and an aweful read to boot.
If they deleted everything posted here that was "non-factual", well, there wouldn't be many threads left on City-Data! Ditto with "aweful" (sic) reads.

Here's a novel idea: if you don't like a thread, don't read it!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Here's a novel idea: if you don't like a thread, don't read it!
Exactly I think city-data provides a even balance of the good and bad.
Hopefully resident can lobby there leaders of areas they want positive change.
Anyone if you want good news thread then post them

Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM

14 posts, read 24,718 times
hi lithuania.
are you from lithuania? I am not. 4th generation, 100% blood line. it was just odd that someone has a post name Lithuania, so I thought to inquire.
in peace and gratitude

Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,383 times
Haha...no, my grandparents were from Lithuania but lived in the U.S. most of their lives. Basically all that is Lithuanian about me now is my heritage and my rediculously long last name!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times
Wilmington is a joke, period.

There are zero job opportunities in the town! If you are lucky to find a job, it will be some low wage retail job or some other type of "BS" job that pays "peanuts".

The city council and mayor do nothing to spur growth or try to bring any good quality jobs to the area.

The following constitute the majority of the jobs one will find in ILM:
Commissioned based sales (working for some "fly by night" company)
Pizza Delivery Driver
Commercial Truck Driver
Waiter (most restaurants want 5 yrs of experience...haha)
Taxi Driver
House Cleaning

I don't see how people can survive on a $9 an hour salary, but then again a very large percentage of the people in ILM receive some type of gov't assistance.

I can't wait until lease is up so I can get the heck of this dead end town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina