Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 07:00 AM

183 posts, read 326,924 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for all the info .It is very helpful to hear everyone's opinions before deciding anything.Being basically surrounded by water has me believing that purchasing in Fairfield Harbour it would be wise to purchase that insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM

120 posts, read 233,968 times
Gjjb1953, you will definitely want Flood Insurance on any home in FFH. My estimation, having looked at the flood maps is more than 80% of FFH is at or below the 100 year flood level, maybe 10% is at the 500 year flood level and 10% is above both of these and not designated as a rising water flood risk. Flooding is not covered by home owners insurance. Another thought, if you pick out a house and decide to make an offer, make it contingent on availability of home owners and flood insurance at prices acceptable to you. Few if any companies will write a new home owners policy in this area. I know of none, and know personally that State Farm and USAA will not.

Now, let me address Happy's difference of opinion with me on talking to non property owners about FFH, and my suggestion that the downtown of New Bern is a good place to start. Most people consider buying a house as a significant event in their financial life. Thus, they are wise to research the quality of such an investment, prior to purchase. The question is do you limit your research to those that have an investment in the same community, many of whom are under water on what they paid, and many of whom would like to sell and be on their way. Or do you include people who know the subject but have no direct investment. Would you buy a stock recommended by a broker that is heavily invested personally in the stock, and the stock is down significantly from his purchase price? This is why brokers are required by law to disclose such holdings.

And finally, is it not alarming when someone suggest not talking to a group of people, whomever they might be, about a potential investment? What is the downside in their minds that they are trying to shield you from?

Pete Drez

Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM

I stopped by to see what was new on this thread and found nothing. What I did find was a request for an update from the Forum Administration, as it has been about 4 weeks since anyone posted.

So here are a few updates of possible interest. First back on 9/2/14, "Happy" in post #94 offered her opinion that:

He's got to be concerned, having paid three years of significant legal fees for a suit that was doomed from the start. Now, he faces the possibility of making restitution to the community. And, he's smiling?

Well I am still smiling, as Judge Nobels denied the POA motion for $30K expense recovery from the Plaintiffs. Bottom line, neither side payed anything to the other side. Both sides, per the court decision, paid their own expenses inclusive of everything. They call that a draw where I come from. And as I mentioned in the past, my opinion now is we would have been more successful filing a criminal complaint. Just speculation now, but a lesson I learned.

The POA is still busy fighting with the amenity owner, MidSouth, in bankruptcy court. Property owners just received a proposal from the MidSouth attorneys on a settlement of all POA claims, as best I can tell. The vote will be used in a hearing on 12/22/14.

The interpersonal relationships between the various tribe members in FFH continues, although I do sense a very slight shift in some peoples attitude that they are tiring of the constant internal conflict and would prefer to tolerate each other instead. As you would expect the hard core tribe members are locked in on fight to the death, still.

Best wishes from our family to yours for a Happy Thanksgiving. Our family has so much to be thankful for, and I hope the same is true for yours.

Pete Drez

Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 AM

39 posts, read 126,160 times
MidSouth has, indeed, submitted a plan of settlement -- essentially the same one it submitted to the POA a year ago. The property owners were asked to submit an opinion -- not a vote, by the way -- which the judge may or may not consider when he rules on the MidSouth proposal. If the judge rules against the proposal, the next step for the recalcitrant MidSouth may be Chapter 7.

Meanwhile the community is preparing for various seasonal celebrations, various parties and dinners, and our annual parade featuring all the various groups and clubs (Santa and St Nick are coming, I hear) which will culminate in refreshments and entertainment for all at our Red Sail Park complex. It is, indeed a good time to be thankful for all we have here!

Old 12-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Bogey1 is at it again. Vague wording to leave an impression that is far from reality. Let me offer a fact or two. The POA offers a Holiday Party each year. There are over 3000 residents in Fairfield Harbour. The POA set up the schedule to accommodate a max of 120 persons, and with endless reminders via emails, has yet to report 100 people signed up. That is a 3% participation rate, with a POA planning level of participation at 4%. Does that indicate the level of community spirit in Fairfield Harbour, even during the holiday season?

Second, the Holiday Parade where a few groups dress up in costume clothing and walk about a quarter mile for viewing by those interested, is also searching for participants. I base this opinion on the endless participation request coming by email from the POA. Only time will tell the actual turn out.

And after much thought about what there is to be thankful for in the community versus individual families as I wished all of you, the only thought I came up with is it has been a few years since the last hurricane.

And BTW, the MidSouth bankruptcy judge has decided the priority of debt in the case and Fairfield Harbour is not positioned well. Looks to me like more dues flowing to the POA attorneys to continue a fight that we will lose in the end. But, only time will tell on this also.

I do hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with their families and friends.

Pete Drez

Old 12-04-2014, 08:05 PM

Default The Holidays in FH

The Yacht Club has its annual flotilla within our community, and, on another night, joins the annual New Bern flotilla. Boat owners decorate their boats -- many quite lavishly and creatively -- and compete for New Bern awards. The Fairfield Harbour chorus sings at New Bern nursing homes, and a group sings carols to the homebound here. The same chorus will also be having its annual holiday concert soon. Each organization here has its end-of-the-year festivities, and, of course, folks are also involved in church and social events in New Bern.

Anyone who took the time to notice would see that our annual parade is actually quite well attended, with golf carts, classic autos and walkers from each of the many clubs and organizations. (It's also lots of fun!) The POA dinner is sold out the second of the two nights, and has room for more participants for its first night. The date presents a conflict for many of us who are actively involved in several organizations, and can't be in two or three places at the same time. It's a busy time! Anyone who actually participated in the social life of our community and of nearby New Bern would certainly realize that.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Once again Bogey1 has rose colored glasses on and with some vague comments, perhaps leaves an impression that is far from reality. Let me click down her vague comments and add a fact or two to help readers better understand these subjects. Keep in mind that there are over 3000 residents in Fairfield Harbour.

Yacht Club annual flotilla involves 12 boats

Boats from Fairfield also participating in New Bern Parade, perhaps 1 to 3 based on the last couple of years

I am not familiar with the chorus activities and can not add any facts

Our annual parade has 26 entries as reported by the POA today

POA Dinner sold out the second night, FALSE. POA reports a minimum 10 more reservations are still required

POA Dinner first night needs more reservations, TRUE. POA reports a minimum 38 more reservations are still required.

Bottom line on the POA Dinners, reservations are at 52% of the minimum required for the two nights and 43% of capacity for the two nights with 11 days to go for reservations.

And finally, it would appear that Bogey1 and I see the spirit of the holidays different. My view is a time for family, good friends, and helping those less fortunate that I, feel the holiday spirit. Bogey1 appears to be stuck in the organization obligatory gatherings with basically all the same people, talking about all the same trivia, while consuming too much food and drink. To each their own way to celebrate the holidays.

Pete Drez

Old 12-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Holiday season in Fairfield

The 26 participants, to clarify, represents 26 GROUPS/CLUBS/ORGANIZATIONS, each of which includes multiple participants -- not what is intentionally implied in the previous message.

How sad that anyone needs to get his satisfaction from demeaning and diminishing the joys of others. How fortunate that the rest of us have better things to do.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Bogey1, I used the exact language published in the weekly POA Community Manager newsletter for parade participants. If you have a problem with their use of the English language, take that up with them.

Noticed your lack of issues with all my other clarifications with facts, to help the readers.

Have an early New Years resolution suggestion, why not stick to the facts in your postings and eliminate the need for clarification by others. Time to work on correcting the problems in our community versus publishing fact less misrepresentations.

Pete Drez

Old 12-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Default Reality

The reality of the parade: Marine Color Guard, West Craven High School Marching Eagles, groups and organizations including Harbour Helpers, Neighborhood Watch, FH Yacht Club, Fishing CLub, Tennis Club, FH CERT, Harbour Pointe Ladies' Golf Association, Fairfield Harbour Band, Blackbeard Sailing Club, Broken Paddle Kaffee Klatch, Hospital Auxiliary, RV Club, Antique Auto Club, Disabled American Veterans; local businesses represented included Palm Coast Tours and Outings, Harbour Hair and Design, Creekside Beverages and Gifts, Resort Management Group, Cooperative Business Council, Nelson's Blueberry Farm. Several individuals also participated, as well as multiple fire engines and emergency vehicles, and, of course, our own Craven County Commissioner, Tom Mark. The parade ended at Red Sail Park where food for 300 was contributed by residents as well as by two local restaurants awaited the paraders. And, yes, the TV cameras were at the parade, recording it all.

But, you must have heard the music and the sirens. The parade began only a few short blocks from your house. Lots of your neighbors and Harbour residents lined Pelican Dr. to exchange Christmas greetings with the paraders. Perhaps you should step away from your computer and take a look outside once in awhile.

Since you insist...

RE: Dinners -- two conflicting reports. I chose a primary source: the organizer. You were content with a secondary source. Your choice; not mine.

Again, yacht club participation: primary source vs a "perhaps based upon other years." The number isn't important; participation vs non-participation was and remains the point. The opportunities to participate in life and in the many holiday activities are available to those who wish to enjoy them.

Fairfield Harbour Chorus events in the community are well advertised, and free. You might try spending more time being more aware of the many positive events and activities which are all around you, and less time finding fault. Now that would be a New Year's resolution worth making, indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina