Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times

Advertisements

This isn't about the BCS or corporations putting their name on bowl games. (I'm opposed to both) But this about the sheer number of bowl games and the fact that these games invite mediocre or even crappy teams to play in them.

I would have to think that the only people who would watch these games outside the students of these schools and the families and friends of the players and coaches are die hard college football fanatics.

Tonight, ESPN is showing a bowl game between MSU and Wake Forest. Both teams went an astounding 6-6.

Why is college football's postseason so weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Follow the money! BCS is nothing about championship play and all about the cash.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This isn't about the BCS or corporations putting their name on bowl games. (I'm opposed to both) But this about the sheer number of bowl games and the fact that these games invite mediocre or even crappy teams to play in them.

I would have to think that the only people who would watch these games outside the students of these schools and the families and friends of the players and coaches are die hard college football fanatics.

Tonight, ESPN is showing a bowl game between MSU and Wake Forest. Both teams went an astounding 6-6.

Wait wait, it's coming to me........I GOT IT.

Maybe you could NOT WATCH them maybe?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Wait wait, it's coming to me........I GOT IT.

Maybe you could NOT WATCH them maybe?
I watch ESPN but not the bowl games. The only bowl games I watch are the rose bowl and championship game. Your comment=Epic Fail.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
A week before the Hawaii Bowl, the University of Nevada had sold TEN tickets to the game.

The OP is exactly right. 70 out of 120 FBS teams got invited to bowl games this year, including a 6-7 UCLA squad that had no business going to a bowl game.

Going to a bowl game used to be a reward for having a really good season. Now there are about 20 bowls that are meaningless participation ribbon games and a .500 record almost guarantees a bowl invite.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM

42 posts, read 97,151 times
The "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy - lets reward everyone so their "feeeelings" don't get hurt. What we're teaching the student athlete is that you don't have to work harder than everyone else and go the extra mile to obtain the honor of going to a real bowl game. Lets reward mediocrity! Whats happening to this country?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

Are there bowl games going on?? I mean does anybody give a **** anymore? College football is going down the tubes.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
They have so many bowl games because of the money. Even if you don't like the games, they are generating enough money to keep them going.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSand View Post
The "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy - lets reward everyone so their "feeeelings" don't get hurt. What we're teaching the student athlete is that you don't have to work harder than everyone else and go the extra mile to obtain the honor of going to a real bowl game. Lets reward mediocrity! Whats happening to this country?
While I do agree that these schools should have to earn a bowl bid (and the money that comes with it) by actually being good, but I'm going to go with bondurant's quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
They have so many bowl games because of the money. Even if you don't like the games, they are generating enough money to keep them going.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by Ro2113; 12-30-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Are there bowl games going on?? I mean does anybody give a **** anymore? College football is going down the tubes.
Unfortunately yes. I was hoping ESPN would show some NBA tonight(they usually show NBA on fridays) but lo and behold, bowl-mania has taken over all of their channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football