Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:51 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The back who impressed me most in this game was Wayne Gallman. I thought he was a little light in the tail at first but he runs tough. He reminds me of Marshall Faulk in some ways.

Watson is a baller. He's going to need to tighten up his passing skills but he's a gamer. He was clearly the best player on the field tonight even though his team lost.

Jake Coker is not good.

Alabama's offensive line was flat out outplayed. Clemson was making mincemeat of them. Their special teams came through though.
Nice deductions there Sherlock.

But Jake Coker was good. They wouldn't have scored without him. Bama sure didn’t run the ball into the enzone. They didn't pick-six their way in. Special teams certainly helped. But the whole body of work that Coker did was , well, good.

Watson was quite good. There's a reason Clemson was... was, undefeated, until now.

That onside kick was so perfectly timed, and needed. But does Bama lose without that? Maybe not. Maybe they force a turnover in there somewhere. You never know.

Coker had some nice throws when they were needed and I'd seen a drop or two as well. You can't say that Bama didn't leave a few points out there as well.

Good game, I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Lol at th bottom feeding sec fans celebrating every year. Alabama is the only team that matters in that conference
Wrong. The whole SEC-WEST is dominant compared to the rest. That's what has kept Bama sharp.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,173,765 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan of either. We don't care about college football in the North like that. I just watch because it's football and I'm interested in pro prospects.

Clemson's injuries made a huge difference. Shaq Lawson balled against Alabama's O-Line with a bum knee. They gave up some big plays in the secondary that likely wouldn't have happened with their star DB on the field.

All that said, Miami will be dominating the SEC in the next few years because they actually have a decent coach and they are going to be able to keep their talent in South Florida. Just look where Alabama's "star" receiver Calvin Ridley is from.

Miami is in the ACC but I get where you are coming from Clemson may have issues facing them next season. Clemson is a great team and even with their starting DB I think the game would have still played out the same.Our offensive linemen just went against a front 7 that is just as good as Bama's....I don't think any other front 7 would have done that and if Coker was as good as the other QBs we have on the side line then the gap would have been larger. Clemson is a great team and is more talented on both sides. They dismantled our offensive line because they are that good. No other team would have done that. Clemson was number 1 for a reason.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
But Jake Coker was good.
He wasn't "good." He threw two TDs to wide open receivers on completely busted coverages. He is terrible under pressure and has almost zero pocket presence. If he's lucky, he'll be able to back up Blake Bortles. Or maybe Kirk Cousins.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Lol at th bottom feeding sec fans celebrating every year. Alabama is the only team that matters in that conference
How so and the SEC just broke a bowl record ?The SEC is 9-2 . Of course they are below Bama because the Tide is the confernce champ but the SEC proved why they deserve to contend this year.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Miami is in the ACC but I get where you are coming from Clemson may have issues facing them next season. Clemson is a great team and even with their starting DB I think the game would have still played out the same.Our offensive linemen just went against a front 7 that is just as good as Bama's....I don't think any other front 7 would have done that and if Coker was as good as the other QBs we have on the side line then the gap would have been larger. Clemson is a great team and is more talented on both sides. They dismantled our offensive line because they are that good. No other team would have done that. Clemson was number 1 for a reason.
Nah. There was a 2nd and 7 where a true freshman DB got burned badly on a bootleg. A more veteran DB like Alexander blows that play up. That dude is a lockdown corner and I hope the Eagles can acquire him when he enters the draft.

It was Clemson's special teams that sold them out. That guy Kearse was also a weak link in their secondary. Maybe they use him as a run stopper? He's slow as hell. They could definitely upgrade at that position.

The ACC is going to start beating the SEC because Florida (and Georgia) are where the athletes are. Alabama has in-state talent but there are more Black people in metro Miami than there are in the entire state of Alabama. Plus, if you give most kids the choice between South Beach and Tuscaloosa, what do you think they're going to choose?

Old 01-11-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Nah. There was a 2nd and 7 where a true freshman DB got burned badly on a bootleg. A more veteran DB like Alexander blows that play up. That dude is a lockdown corner and I hope the Eagles can acquire him when he enters the draft.

It was Clemson's special teams that sold them out. That guy Kearse was also a weak link in their secondary. Maybe they use him as a run stopper? He's slow as hell. They could definitely upgrade at that position.
I tip my hat off to Clemson there are only a handful of teams that can keep Bama on the edge like that. Our next QB will be a dual threat QB and we have a running back that is a little better than Henry.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:07 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
I was impressed. I just said he needs to tighten up his passing skills. I mean, we've seen plenty of good college QBs like Robert Griffin III, Tavaris Jackson, Jamarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, A.J. McCarron, Greg McElroy, etc. who are (were) mediocre pro QBs at best. Like I said, he's a gamer, but he's going to have to sharpen his passing game a bit. The NFL ain't Alabama-Auburn where safeties blow coverages all of the time.
It's compliment followed by a pessimistic statement... That's why am asking what else do u want.

He wasn't completing wide open blown coverage passes... That was Coker! Watson completed passes in TIGHT Windows... NFL throws.

Did you question Brady, Rothleisberger, Manning, Bree, Luck or Rodgers like this? I'm just trying to figure out what a college QB has to show in his passing skills to NOT have to work on passing. Because That general statement can apply to any college QB ever. Watson is as accurate as it gets for a college QB... And he's ONLY a true sophomore. 2 years ago He was playing high school football...

PS: that list of QBs you listed is laughable to compare Watson... It's like you named ANY black QB you could think of that made the NFL and then a couple white ones to keep it from being racial. I don't think any self-respecting football fan would say any of those were considered good passers let alone QBs except maybe RGIII and plenty doubted him. Deshaun Watson won the elite 11 coming out of high school. He's a passer... Period.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
PS: that list of QBs you listed is laughable to compare Watson... It's like you named ANY black QB you could think of that made the NFL and then a couple white ones to keep it from being racial. I don't think any self-respecting football fan would say any of those were considered good passers let alone QBs except maybe RGIII and plenty doubted him. Deshaun Watson won the elite 11 coming out of high school. He's a passer... Period.
Man, I'm Black. Get out of here with that. I named those guys because they were great in college and not so great in the NFL.

RG3 was also a passer. He's also inaccurate.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
Man, I'm Black. Get out of here with that. I named those guys because they were great in college and not so great in the NFL.

RG3 was also a passer. He's also inaccurate.
What does you being black have to do with you comparing Watson to other black QBs? Because you are black it makes it ok... My point was your case was lazy. It's easy to compare him to failed black QBs... And the white guys you picked are flat out not on Watson's level.

If you are gonna compare him.. Do it fairly and against legitimately great PASSING QBs when they came out... Like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, or Luck!

Instead you said Greg McElroy was great... In what world? He was never an all
American... Hell he wasn't even All SEC... Not once! And he was drafted in the 7th round

- AJ McCarron: Second team all SEC twice. 5th round pick.

- Tavaris Jackson... Are you kidding me? He was second team All SWAC...
Once in his career! And that's considered great?

- Jason Campbell... He was SEC player of the year in 2004 but nothing else...

I'm not even going to go into Jamarcus Russell.

RGIII as I said before was the only QB of substance you put on your list. And he wasn't considered all that accurate coming out.

The Crux of the matter is... There isn't a college QB with less to prove from a "passing" perspective than Watson. So let's not compare him to mediocre college QBs. Black or white..

Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 AM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
On my TV set, Alabama won the game, as a whole team, and Coker beat Watson on the scoreboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football