Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 03:21 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times

Advertisements

Here's a sane Baylor fan on 247 - he's getting a lot of negative votes for telling it like it is:

Quote:
You think the cost isn't astronomical if we reinstate him? You guys can't be that blind and naive. I know you selfishly want to the instant short term gratification of sticking it to the media and not caring about the public, but what you guys want done will doom the institution. We will lose a generation of trust. The public's view of us matters A TON. That is where our students come from. We cannot sustain just among ourselves and tell the world to go F itself. As an institution of higher education we have an unwritten contract with the public to serve the public, and pissing all over that trust is damaging to the institution.

You all will get a quick, short-lived buzz off this news. The institution that you claim to love—I seriously doubt it now—will suffer for years and years. And the timing would be terrible.

The sport you're clinging to is beginning its decent. Too much is working against it. It is going to be a slow decay, but it will not survive the century. Hardly something to risk the institution's future over. Further, the higher ed bubble is real and the end is coming soon. Schools are going to be closing. And Baylor currently is ill prepared for it. We need forward thinking people, and we need to partner with others to survive and rethink what college and education is in the 21st century.

We give the finger to the public and yell loud and proud we care more about football than anything, then we won't have allies anymore anywhere. These old men threatening to withhold their money will be satisfied with all of you and they will die and the school with them.

This is bigger than them and their wallets. Frankly, I'll take the short-term pain even if it means those donors never give another dime. I'll take it if you guys are so upset that you never give Baylor another dime or attend another event. Frankly, some cutting off of dead and rotting flesh is needed here. Short-term pain, long-term potential for growth. Finally.

And, please stop lying to yourselves and everyone that this is about grace and forgiveness for Art. If this were Steele or Morriss you'd have their houses burned down. Your favorable view of him is shaped and framed by his wins and what those wins have meant and done for you. Your desire for grace and forgiveness for him is completely self-serving. You just want your wins back. From a friggin game.

You think he'll have learned his lesson from this if you reinstate him? You will create a monster that didn't exist before. Right now he's suffering the consequences of mistakes. After reinstatement, no one will be able to stand in his way or get him to do anything. He was already the most powerful person on campus. He would be untouchable after this. Again, a doomsday scenario for Baylor.

Instead of being mad at the BOR for making the tough decision, be mad at Art for putting himself and this institution in this position. And he wasn't the only one who lost his job for that. Several others did too. Are any of you lobbying to have those nameless folks to be reinstated? Or are we only lobbying for the one who won football games?

The board didn't do this to Baylor. Art, Ian, Starr and those charged with handling these complaints and concerns did this to Baylor. They paid for it. Let it go and move forward. Going backwards will devastate Baylor for years. You'll get a week of gloating, then... a mess from which we may not be able to recover. It's already delicate, and this decision will be the doom of our school. But maybe it needs to die. Because you guys are proving to me over and over with every post that what we say Baylor is was nothing but a lie and we're run by and supported by a bunch of hypocrites and our institution is a fraud.

He'd better be careful - might get a lunch invite to Twin Peaks.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
https://twitter.com/twittcommit/stat...29538111574017

Although i would not give this guy any credibility. From what i've heard, he has received three bans from the Baylor247 site for stealing their info and posting it elsewhere, in an attempt to build his own site. While his information may be good more often than not, he's absolutely nuts.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Baylor University Interim President told to remain silent - kcentv.com - KCEN HD - Waco, Temple, and Killeen

Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM

Fans start petition to boot Baylor from Big 12 - Campus Sports Net

That comment by James Henderson in the petition...Yeah, that's a good reason to throw them out. After the 2003 murder of Patrick Dennehy that their coaches tried to cover up and now this...It is clear that Baylor has learned absolutely jack s**t. And i, for one, don't want to be in the same conference as them anymore.

I know this is a stupid petition. And i do think the only way Baylor gets kicked out is if they do bring back Art Briles.

Last edited by SouthernTiger; 06-15-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Baylor Alumni Urge School to Rethink Firing of Art Briles - WSJ

I only found this article just now.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Fans start petition to boot Baylor from Big 12 - Campus Sports Net

That comment by James Henderson in the petition...Yeah, that's a good reason to throw them out. After the 2003 murder of Patrick Dennehy that their coaches tried to cover up and now this...It is clear that Baylor has learned absolutely jack s**t. And i, for one, don't want to be in the same conference as them anymore.

I know this is a stupid petition. And i do think the only way Baylor gets kicked out is if they do bring back Art Briles.
I'm all for it and I think Sooner Nation would be good with it too.

Most Sooner Fans have always wondered how smaller non-state schools made it into the Big XII since that is what the Big 8 was all about.....large, land-grant state schools. Getting rid of Baylor accomplishes much.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:20 PM

Three women sue Baylor, alleging sexual assault

Good. I hope they win.

Baylor Alum right now...

Old 06-15-2016, 08:56 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
:yawn: I guess if the school is now giving handouts, everyone is going to be wanting free money.

More than 18 percent of female undergraduates at the University of Texas at Austin say they have been sexually assaulted since arriving on campus, according to comprehensive surveys released Monday. Just 26 percent of female respondents (at UT) who said they were were raped while students said they reported the incident to a proper authority. Female students who said they were incapacitated during a rape reported at an even lower rate — 15 percent at UT-Austin.

And then when you are basing punishment on unsubstantiated he-said, she-said accusations, you risk this..
Men accuse UT of unfairly punishing them for sex assault... | www.mystatesman.com

Quote:
Two men who University of Texas officials have recommended be disciplined after being accused of sexual assault are suing the school to prevent the punishment.

Neither of the men faces criminal charges, and they have denied committing sexual assaults.

UT is not obligated to tell police of alleged sexual assaults, except in “extreme cases” such as an assault involving a minor, said Paul Liebman, UT’s chief compliance officer. That policy is “consistent with the premise that someone who’s come forward as a victim should be able to control their own destiny,” he said.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm all for it and I think Sooner Nation would be good with it too.

Most Sooner Fans have always wondered how smaller non-state schools made it into the Big XII since that is what the Big 8 was all about.....large, land-grant state schools. Getting rid of Baylor accomplishes much.
Lol.. the Big 10 didn't even kick out Penn State. Interesting that y'all would prefer to make the conference weaker by replacing Baylor with some mediocre school.
And what does the Big 8 have to do with the Big 12? The Big 12 is part of the old SWC. In case you need to be reminded, the SWC also included Houston, Rice, and SMU.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lol.. the Big 10 didn't even kick out Penn State. Interesting that y'all would prefer to make the conference weaker by replacing Baylor with some mediocre school.
And what does the Big 8 have to do with the Big 12? The Big 12 is part of the old SWC. In case you need to be reminded, the SWC also included Houston, Rice, and SMU.
Need i remind you that it is very likely your team will not be relevant for 20-30 years or longer? You've already had your successful years. And now we know why you were successful.

BYU and Houston are not mediocre. They've also had real good teams in the past, too.

Y'all bring back Briles, that should be enough to throw y'all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football