Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:34 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Playing the Grand Old Man's Wildcats is always a trap game, especially in Manhattan.
It's about as hard as difficult being a shoe salesman at a VA clinic.

and with that we preview Week 11,

West Virginia @ Kansas State // 3:30 EST (2:30 Central) // ESPN2

Last season the Eers came back to notch their first win over Bill Snyder and the Wildcats. This year, they need the win to stay in contention for a Big 12 Championship game. If WVU can run, then that will be the difference.

WVU 38, KSU 27

Let's Gooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:01 AM

Last week the Mountaineers defeated the Kansas State Wildcats 28-23.

This week the Mountaineers host the Texas Longhorns for Senior Day. 20 young men will play their last game at home today. Thank you guys for the hard work and dedication to the school and team. Once a Mountaineer, always a Mountaineer!

Let's Gooooooo, beat those Texans and get to 8 wins. Technically we are still in the conference championship race.

Predictions:

WVU 33, Texas 20

Let's Gooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Their season is shot. They were on a decent roll too very frustrating. There's no way they're going to get a decent bowl now and the Oklahoma upset is a huge long shot and highly unlikely.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Welcome back to the College Football, as we are just weeks away from the start and hopefully West Virginia's chance to fight for a conference crown! Sorry that this thread has been in-active for so long. As many of you know, the Mighty Mounts did not finish the 2017 season very well with three losses and the injury to QB Will Grier. Since he has had a full recovery, the Mountaineers appear to have a solid team coming back, with what will surly be an improved defense. The EERS will be looking to capitalize on a re-building Big 12, and some marquee non-conference games. If the EERS are efficient on offense and improved on defense, they will have a shot at Oklahoma's crown!

Here is a look at the schedule

Sept 1. // Tennessee (played in Charlotte, NC)
Sept 8. // Youngstown State
Sept 15. // @ NC State
Sept 22. // Kansas State
Sept 29. // @ Texas Tech
Oct 6. // Kansas
Oct 13. // @ Iowa State
-- Bye Week --
Oct 25. // Baylor
Nov 3. // @ Texas
Nov 10. // TCU
Nov 17. // @ Oklahoma State
Nov 24. // Oklahoma

I will give my take on how the season will break down and the total win total in the coming days. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on this team, like are they overrated?, underrated?, potential playoff contenders?, or simply pretenders?. Also, is Will Grier worth the Heisman hype?

Let's kick football off right, and as always Let's Go Mountaineers!!!!!!!!

Let's Goooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 AM

19 Days Until WVU vs Tennessee

Over the next couple weeks I will try to either give a specific game preview or some content on the up and coming football season each day. Today let's take a look at our first opponent the Volunteers of Tennessee!

Opponent // Tennessee
Date // September 1, 2018
Time // 3:30 PM EST
Location // Back of America Stadium (Home to Carolina Panthers) in Charlotte, NC

Who:
The Vols are coming off a bad season in 2017 finishing 4-8 and going win-less in SEC play. They have a new head coach (Jeremy Pruitt) and what looks like a more conservative scheme on offense. Their defense will certainly be their strength, with Pruitt being a defensive minded coach. The Vols hope to improve, but expectations aren't too high for them. They return a few players, but none that give this team any sort of hope for a healthy season. This is the first time the EERS have ever played the Vols, which is surprising considering the proximity and similar culture.

Where:
The Mountaineers will play their 4th neutral site game in 5 seasons when they make their first trip to North Carolina (second coming @ NC State). This game will be played in Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium. The last time the EERS played there was in 2008 when an 8-4 Pat White led team finished off the year with a bowl win over North Carolina. This location is ideal for West Virginia because Charlotte is said to be the largest Alumni base outside the state for the Mountaineers. The stadium should be packed with fans from both respective teams!

How:
West Virginia should be able to handle Tennessee, and win by a couple scores. However, West Virginia does have some questions at defense. What will the corner-backs look like, and can we stop the run? The offense has the capability to be explosive in the pass game and solid in the run game. I am worried about the O-line's ability to hold of Volunteer pass rushers. With that being said, Will Grier has an amazing ability to avoid sacks and keep plays alive! I am also curious to if the run game can help establish the pass. The coaches appear as if the EERS will run a bit more than we did last year. McCoy and new comer Sinkfield should offer a spark on the ground.

Early Prediction:
I expect a sloppy game, and some miscues on defense at first. Tennessee will give the EERS a good game. I look for Grier to have a great opening week, as he has handled pressure well. He is in his second (really third) year of the offense, and should make some good reads to talented receivers. Sills and Jennings will make some significant plays in this game. I am always concerned for special teams, but I believe the will be improved. Tennessee won't be too aggressive on offense, and that conservative attitude will come back to bite them in the end.

Final Score WVU 38, Tennessee 24

Let's Gooooooooo!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM

15 Days until WVU vs. Tennessee

Can you smell the football in the air? We are so close to Mountaineer football that I can practically taste the kettle corn and hot dogs. Actually, they probably started making the hot dogs yesterday for the Youngstown State game! (Only partially kidding on that)

Anyways, let's take look at some of the promotional things we have going on this season.

Will Grier for Heisman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inRSLVOs5go

You can check out the his campaign even further with this website Grier7Heisman | Will Grier

Here some pump up for you guys, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JYWz6Udtqc

Old 08-19-2018, 02:06 PM

13 Days until WVU vs Tennessee

Less than two weeks away now! I've decided to not be too big of a nuisance and put up content every single day. However, I will still post every few days. Also I decided to not preview the entire schedule, but do them one at a time like last season. We in Almost Heaven need to stay focused on the opening opponent. If we can get thru week one, we will be in good shape!

With that being said, I will go ahead and give my season predictions and total number of wins.

Sept 1. // Tennessee (played in Charlotte, NC)
(WVU 38 - 24)

Sept 8. // Youngstown State
(WVU 59 - 19)

Sept 15. // @ NC State
(NC State 33 - 31)

Sept 22. // Kansas State
(WVU 28 - 21)

Sept 29. // @ Texas Tech
(WVU 38 - 31)

Oct 6. // Kansas
(WVU 48 - 28)

Oct 13. // @ Iowa State
(WVU 42 - 35)

-- Bye Week --

Oct 25. // Baylor
(WVU 49 - 20)

Nov 3. // @ Texas
(Texas 29 - 24)

Nov 10. // TCU
(WVU 49 - 45)

Nov 17. // @ Oklahoma State
(WVU 59 - 55)

Nov 24. // Oklahoma
(WVU 54 - 42)

Overall WVU 10-2

Plays in Big 12 Championship Game

Let's Goooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,549 times
I'm surprised that you think we'll beat you this year...honestly, until Tim Beck shows me he's capable of running a proper offense, i don't see it.

I can understand the NC State result, though. They're better than what a lot of people think IMO, and that game really could go either way.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
I'm surprised that you think we'll beat you this year...honestly, until Tim Beck shows me he's capable of running a proper offense, i don't see it.

I can understand the NC State result, though. They're better than what a lot of people think IMO, and that game really could go either way.
I see Texas as a trap game. I don't believe they will be as good as people say they will, but I still think they will be good enough to beat the Mountaineers. Texas should have a solid defense (at least from what I have seen), and The EERS have a tendency to not show up. I don't expect things to change in that department desite who is at QB/WR. It's our Red Bull infused coach that blows games! At that point in the season, West Virginia will be overdo for a loss. It's either you guys or Oklahoma State IMO, and I like our chances with OSU because they owe us one!

In all honesty, WVU is more like a 9-3 team, but I am hopeful that this will be the year to get Oklahoma.

As for NC State, this game scares me! If we can't contain their offense then they will have a field day on us. At their house we will struggle.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:24 PM

The Mountaineers debut at #17 in the preseason AP poll. Honestly I think it’s a couple spots too high, and I think it’s a giant target on our back. West Virginia has never handled high praise well. Take for instance last season in basketball when they climbed to #2 in the polls. They fell apart after that and lost some winnable games. Or in football two seasons ago when we had a top ten showdown with Oklahoma in Morgantown with the conference title in view. We managed to fall apart. Or dare I bring up what happened in 2007!!!

I hope this team can handle it! I know our QB can, but can everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football