Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 09:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Probably because many FSU fans think their team is entitled to wins.
So true. Willie T. will probably be given the benefit of the doubt for now, but the fans will demand better in the next 4 games before they take on Clemson.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-01-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Oregon's QB Herbert did go down, but came back. Probably no issue with an injury.

Bottom line both WA and OR have lost to Auburn on opening night two years in a row. Bad news for the Pac-12.

USC has lost their QB to an ACL.

It is an uphill battle for the Pac-12, no doubt.

I think it will come down to Utah, Washington, Oregon, Stanford as the contenders for a playoff spot. But Oregon can't afford even one more loss. If Washington can run the table, they have a chance, depending on others losing above them.

yes the pac12 will be a struggle this year, but dont count out teams like arizona or asu. this is kevin sumlins second year at arizona, and he has at least some of his own players in the mix now, and tate is back to his freshman form after playing hurt the last two seasons. and there is no quit in this team either, they nearly came back and beat hawaii in the last seconds of the game, or at least tried to get a shot to win in OT.

i do hope that arizona can win 7 games this season to get a decent bowl game. we shall see

Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
On Thursday, I said the Heisman race was over (Etienne). Today, I say it's "over, again!" (LOL!) (Hurts, OU). Right now, two man race!

My Syracuse defense looks good! I know it was Liberty, but that squad is well-coached, and was giving Cuse looks they normally don't see. Now, get us through Maryland, and then here comes Clemson, in the Dome!

Old 09-02-2019, 02:28 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Lawrence made a bad read on the first pick and just a bad decision to throw the ball while running on the second one.
I gotta say that Lawrence's performance was a bit disappointing. I know Clemson fans will write it off as being early in the season in a game that "didn't really matter anyway," but this is a guy the media has been calling a "once in a generation" player who's "the best QB in college football" and just so happens to be hanging out with Peyton Manning and all. He should have had 4 picks against Tech instead of 2 since he threw a couple of really bad passes that bounced off the hands of defenders. After an offseason, I thought he would appear more in command of the offense, but he still looked very much like a one-read-then-throw-it freshman. Physical errors (bad throws) don't concern me as much as mental ones and Lawrence was making the latter.

It's still early, but hopefully that performance should calm down some of the chatter about him wasting his time in college because he's just tooooooo good not to be in the NFL already. It's also interesting that he hasn't really gotten much flak for playing a really bad game against subpar competition when Deshaun Watson seemed to receive an endless amount of criticism. I have the feeling that if Watson came out and played the same way, the narrative would have been that he was an inaccurate, one-read QB who stares down his receivers and overly relies on his legs.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
On Thursday, I said the Heisman race was over (Etienne). Today, I say it's "over, again!" (LOL!) (Hurts, OU). Right now, two man race!
Hurts is my man. Definitely rooting for him this season.

I don't think the Heisman race begins in earnest until these teams have played real competition. Georgia Tech, Duke, Florida Atlantic, etc. are not real competition. Etienne ran crazy against GT, but any premiere back in the country could have done that. Same thing with Justin Fields and his bonanza game against Florida Atlantic. Good defenses don't leave receivers open multiple times per game nor do they allow one player to break off multiple long runs.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:58 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's still early, but hopefully that performance should calm down some of the chatter about him wasting his time in college because he's just tooooooo good not to be in the NFL already. It's also interesting that he hasn't really gotten much flak for playing a really bad game against subpar competition when Deshaun Watson seemed to receive an endless amount of criticism. I have the feeling that if Watson came out and played the same way, the narrative would have been that he was an inaccurate, one-read QB who stares down his receivers and overly relies on his legs.
I don't think that would be the narrative at all. It looks like you are trying to work in a racism angle with no basis for it.

No Clemson fan viewed Watson as a running QB. He was a good passer who could scramble similar to Lawrence.

G Tech was selling out to stop the pass, that's why Clemson gashed them running the ball.

I cannot recall any time when Watson was subjected to endless amounts of criticism. Maybe a Paul Finebaum or Colin Cowherd type of pundit, certainly not Clemson fans.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-02-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think that would be the narrative at all. It looks like you are trying to work in a racism angle with no basis for it.
There is definitely a racism angle to it. I don't think there's any doubt that different language is used to describe Black QBs and that different stereotypes are associated with them. In Watson's case, a Texans fan outright posted that "you can't trust a Black QB."

Quote:
No Clemson fan viewed Watson as a running QB. He was a good passer who could scramble similar to Lawrence.
I'm not talking about Clemson fans. I'm talking about the larger media narrative.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/18845589

Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There is definitely a racism angle to it. I don't think there's any doubt that different language is used to describe Black QBs and that different stereotypes are associated with them. In Watson's case, a Texans fan outright posted that "you can't trust a Black QB."

I'm not talking about Clemson fans. I'm talking about the larger media narrative.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/18845589
I don't think you can name more than maybe 5 people in the media who harshly criticized Watson.

Nobody who watches Watson thinks he is a running QB like Michael Vick.

People have commented on Lawrence's play in the G Tech game but the reality is Clemson didn't need to pass it to beat G Tech.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Well, i went 13-8 on picks in Week 1. Not too bad. Here's my Top 25 going into Week 2.

#1: Clemson (1-0)
#2: Alabama (1-0)
#3: Georgia (1-0)
#4: Oklahoma (1-0)
#5: Ohio State (1-0)
#6: Michigan (1-0)
#7: LSU (1-0) +1
#8: Texas (1-0) +1
#9: Florida (1-0) -2
#10: Notre Dame (1-0) +1
#11: Washington (1-0) +1
#12: Penn State (1-0) +1
#13: Utah (1-0) +3
#14: Auburn (1-0) +8
#15: Wisconsin (1-0) +3
#16: Oregon (0-1) -6
#17: Iowa (1-0)
#18: Boise State (1-0) +2
#19: Texas A&M (1-0)
#20: Stanford (1-0) +3
#21: Fresno State (0-1) -6
#22: Washington State (1-0) NEW
#23: Cincinnati (1-0) NEW
#24: North Texas (1-0) NEW
#25: Iowa State (1-0) -1 (Would have dropped them out entirely had Army not looked how they did)

Honorable Mentions

Virginia (1-0)
Army (1-0)
Syracuse (1-0)
Kentucky (1-0)
Memphis (1-0)
UAB (1-0)
TCU (1-0)
Northwestern (0-1)

Old 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Exactly. As a UF Gator Alumnus and football fan, I couldn't help but notice FSU's loss to Boise State at home despite all the hype about a "new" year. I had lived in Tallahassee for over a decade and seen their highs and lows. This is even worse than the Chris Rix Era. But as bad as FSU's loss was, it was still a close game to a resilient team proven to win major bowl games against teams like Oklahoma. By contrast, Tennessee lost to one of the worse of the ~130 college football teams from last year. Go Gators!

I watched the first half of this game.. Something was eating at my mind the whole way that Boise State was going to come back. You could just see that QB they had getting more and more comfortable.

That being said.. FSU looked pretty good on both sides of the ball. I won't put it all on nervousness of the Boise State QB, because.. FSU was playing with energy. and then.. You could just slowly see it being chipped away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football