Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 03:28 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times

Advertisements

As a UW alumni, I'm really hoping that we don't join this insane league structure and instead stick with the Pac-12. College football is all about tradition and rivalries. Watching any other College football game is tedious by comparison. The sports writers have wrecked this game by pushing for a CFP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 07:24 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
As a UW alumni, I'm really hoping that we don't join this insane league structure and instead stick with the Pac-12. College football is all about tradition and rivalries. Watching any other College football game is tedious by comparison. The sports writers have wrecked this game by pushing for a CFP.
My gut feeling is from what I have been reading that the AZ schools as well as CO and UT will join the Big 12. Oregon and Washington might join the Big Ten or SEC. Or there could be a super conference with the Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC. All depends on how much money the schools will get. Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU are the ones who might really lose in this. But as of late they have had weaker Football and Basketball programs so that is the way it goes.

And its ESPN and Fox Sports who created this mess. They wanted these super conferences. I don't think keeping it as it is will work financially for the top level Pac-12 schools that are left. The LA schools leaving creates a huge financial problem.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:41 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
My gut feeling is from what I have been reading that the AZ schools as well as CO and UT will join the Big 12. Oregon and Washington might join the Big Ten or SEC. Or there could be a super conference with the Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC. All depends on how much money the schools will get. Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU are the ones who might really lose in this. But as of late they have had weaker Football and Basketball programs so that is the way it goes.

And its ESPN and Fox Sports who created this mess. They wanted these super conferences. I don't think keeping it as it is will work financially for the top level Pac-12 schools that are left. The LA schools leaving creates a huge financial problem.
Never understood how Cal of all schools is the one left out.

of the 22 schools in the Big 12 and Pac 12, Cal is 6th in total revenue .

That means despite being 18th in attendance in football(of the 22 schools), they make the most bang for their buck. They also have the highest earning potential because of it.

Call selling out their stadium at 62,000 would end up making more money than any school left in the 2 conferences .

they should be a top Pick.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Never understood how Cal of all schools is the one left out.

of the 22 schools in the Big 12 and Pac 12, Cal is 6th in total revenue .

That means despite being 18th in attendance in football(of the 22 schools), they make the most bang for their buck. They also have the highest earning potential because of it.

Call selling out their stadium at 62,000 would end up making more money than any school left in the 2 conferences .

they should be a top Pick.
I don't know what you mean by total revenue. Conferences are looking at TV ratings of football games. Jon Wilner who is a reporter in the Bay Area and seems to know more about Pac-12 sports than anyone else is not optimistic about Cal. I could see Stanford being an independent like Notre Dame.

Pac-12 Reporter Has Pessimistic Message About Future of Cal Football

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury-News says this could be 'the beginning of the end of major college football for the Bay Area schools'

In all candor, I believe this could mark the beginning of the end of major college football for the Bay Area schools.

Their relatively low value within the college football marketplace is one reason for that bleak outlook.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by total revenue. Conferences are looking at TV ratings of football games. Jon Wilner who is a reporter in the Bay Area and seems to know more about Pac-12 sports than anyone else is not optimistic about Cal. I could see Stanford being an independent like Notre Dame.

Pac-12 Reporter Has Pessimistic Message About Future of Cal Football

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury-News says this could be 'the beginning of the end of major college football for the Bay Area schools'

In all candor, I believe this could mark the beginning of the end of major college football for the Bay Area schools.

Their relatively low value within the college football marketplace is one reason for that bleak outlook.

To put it simply, the NCAA collects all the proceeds from certain tourneys and then returns it to the conferences as one big check.

They also pay out more money if you have more sports . So Cal with 30 Varsity sports would actually help the conference get more money. Now, how much is unknown, we could be talking about the entire conference splitting an extra 400,000 dollars. or an extra 10 million.

but the Pac 12 interestingly enough got more money than the ACC last year .

Cal made 91 million last year, by comparison, Colorado made 47 million.

all of this is separate of the TV deals.

Again, i dont know the overall break down, but it seems to me Cal is actual worth more.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
To put it simply, the NCAA collects all the proceeds from certain tourneys and then returns it to the conferences as one big check.

Again, i dont know the overall break down, but it seems to me Cal is actual worth more.
Football, men's bb and hockey are the only sports that generate more than 2 million a year on average.

Cal is not a major player in any of those and I would imagine has lots of sports where it loses money. Outside of those 3 no other sports get any real ratings or attendance. So where is 90 million coming from?

Old 07-22-2022, 10:58 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
I'm surprised that Cal isn't considered a valuable brand. It's in a major market, has the prestige factor, and probably has a sizable alumni base.

The thing is, all this is about football! UCLA managed to find a life preserver from USC going, but Cal was extended no such curtesy.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Football, men's bb and hockey are the only sports that generate more than 2 million a year on average.

Cal is not a major player in any of those and I would imagine has lots of sports where it loses money. Outside of those 3 no other sports get any real ratings or attendance. So where is 90 million coming from?

Call seems to be good in every sport but the Big 3, my guess is that because of that, they get a distribution from the NCAA based on all those post season tourneys.

So yea. It all comes down to how this money is distributed. If Cal by virtue of being good everywhere else, generates more money, then the revenue sharing could indeed make them worth more than everyone outside of Oregon and Washington in the Pac 12.

And the most interesting of all of this is that Cal doesnt fill up its football stadium. so the cap is higher for them.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So where is 90 million coming from?
Found a website that breaks this down

https://www.sportico.com/business/co...te-1234646029/

Cal has higher media rights, Licensing, Conference and NCAA revenue(likely from making more tourneys overall) and than other Pac 12 schools outside USC and UCLA and ASU.

im eyeballing this really fast.

5 million more than Utah
4 million more than Arizona
2 million more than Colorado

and again, If Cal started boosting their alumni base, they probably could get all this higher.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:37 PM

387 posts, read 352,308 times
Rumor is that ND and Stanford are finalizing details about a move to Big Ten...if/once that happens (specifically the ND part), then plan on the rest to come to fruition shortly after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football