Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 08:10 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,937,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Rutgers and Vanderbilt are in a better place than Cal and Oklahoma State. This is the evidence that the sport is broken. The NCAA is the ultimate culprit, because they have never stood up and protected the interest of the whole system. They've allowed college sports to cannibalize itself, and for money to rule the day.

I can't image a world where my Mountaineers (who are among the winningest college programs in both football and basketball) are left out because the state of WV only has 1.8 million people. WVU has always overachieved given their state's size and economic conditions. The West Virginia brand is a far bigger brand than schools like Rutgers, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Northwestern, etc... However, those schools will get grandfathered into a new "super conference" setup. Meanwhile, places that really care about college sports like Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, NC State, Arizona State, and West Virginia will get left out for reasons beyond their control.

I'm all for capitalism, but this is greed beyond reproach!
The bolded one just announced a $200 million football facilities (plural) improvement project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 04:08 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
That’s great for Texas Tech, but it won’t help them in conference expansion. It’s not about that anymore, it’s about brand and market. Lubbock is a small market, and the TT brand isn’t among the top 40 or so that will ultimately make the cut in super conferences.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
As a Syracuse alum, I did support Cuse going to the ACC. What was then, Big East Football, was bad, and was bringing down Syracuse football and the rest of the athletic department.

With that said, Syracuse v. Miami is a 3 hour flight. USC/UCLA v. Rutgers/Maryland......6 hour flight!

Old 07-12-2022, 07:45 AM

387 posts, read 352,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
As a Syracuse alum, I did support Cuse going to the ACC. What was then, Big East Football, was bad, and was bringing down Syracuse football and the rest of the athletic department.

With that said, Syracuse v. Miami is a 3 hour flight. USC/UCLA v. Rutgers/Maryland......6 hour flight!
As someone who grew up in Syracuse and is a FSU alum, I was thrilled when the ACC first courted Syracuse, then was pissed when they got bumped for VT, then thrilled again when they did move. It was tough letting go of the basketball rivalries, but even then it was evident football was driving everything and moving to the ACC seemed like the better play. Only problem is Syracuse never "fit" with ACC football and it showed.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
As someone who grew up in Syracuse and is a FSU alum, I was thrilled when the ACC first courted Syracuse, then was pissed when they got bumped for VT, then thrilled again when they did move. It was tough letting go of the basketball rivalries, but even then it was evident football was driving everything and moving to the ACC seemed like the better play. Only problem is Syracuse never "fit" with ACC football and it showed.
I agree with the football never fitting. Although, Cuse does have a good QB and Heisman candidate RB, this year!

Back to the USC/UCLA/BIG. Is it in the student-athlete's best interest of possibly 24 hours in travel time.....?

Old 07-12-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I agree with the football never fitting. Although, Cuse does have a good QB and Heisman candidate RB, this year!

Back to the USC/UCLA/BIG. Is it in the student-athlete's best interest of possibly 24 hours in travel time.....?
Things stopped being in the best interest of a student-athlete LONG ago.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The college football landscape is a complete mess, and its an absolute shame. Money, money, money! Why on earth does UCLA and USC feel like they have to be in the Big 10? The only reason is money, and the product of college football is going to suffer. Regional football rivalries is what made football entertaining for millions.

Since this is the new direction of college football, the remaining power 5 will act soon. No way, they just let the Big 10 and the SEC control the outcomes of everything. I imagine that the Pac 12 will try to nab some Big 12 teams, or maybe a merger of the two conferences. The SEC will also raid again, and take aim at Clemson. The Big 10 isn't finished yet either. The best scenario is a Power 4.

Here's how I'd break things down if I could.

Big 10 // Definitely took the cream of the crop
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Perdue
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
*UCLA
*USC
**Oregon
**Washington
**Kansas
**Notre Dame

ACC // Definitely a weaker conference, but still better than not existing. One excellent basketball conference and in other sports.

Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Virginia
Louisville
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forrest
Georgia Tech
Miami
*West Virginia
*Cincinnati
*UCF
*TCU
*Baylor
*Houston
*Memphis
*Temple
*Navy
*Army
(Army and Navy are a stretch, but I think that they bring a lot of value in different ways.

SEC // grabbed who they wanted out of the ACC and bounced the rest

Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU
Texas A&M
Missouri
Arkansas
*Texas
*Oklahoma
**Clemson
**Florida State
**North Carolina
**Virginia Tech

Big West Conference // merging of leftover Big 12 and Pac 12 teams, plus a few additions

Washington State
Oregon State
California
Stanford
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State
*Texas Tech
*Oklahoma State
*Kansas State
*Iowa State
**BYU
***San Diego State
***Fresno State
***Colorado State
***Boise State
***Tulsa
***SMU
***UTSA

Everyone else gets left out of this system, and either forms a new one or merges with the FBS system.
Kind of my thinking too...maybe a small change here or there...4 super conferences...80 teams (or even 64 might make even better sense)...break it completely off from the rest of the NCAA...break football away in terms of scholarship counts at schools and have it controlled by a completely different board...Play 10 games in your conference...1 game against a school from each other 4 major conferences...then set up an 8 team playoff...top 2 teams in each conference in 1st rou nd...higher seed plays at home...then a final 4 and a national title.

The players deserve and should get a piece of this money pie...this can basically be the NFL's minor league like it really is.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:56 AM

812 posts, read 832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Kind of my thinking too...maybe a small change here or there...4 super conferences...80 teams (or even 64 might make even better sense)...break it completely off from the rest of the NCAA...break football away in terms of scholarship counts at schools and have it controlled by a completely different board...Play 10 games in your conference...1 game against a school from each other 4 major conferences...then set up an 8 team playoff...top 2 teams in each conference in 1st rou nd...higher seed plays at home...then a final 4 and a national title.

The players deserve and should get a piece of this money pie...this can basically be the NFL's minor league like it really is.
The next logical step then is to drop the whole "student athlete" guise; they would be athletes.... professional too. So then what is the point of them being affiliated with a school/university? Do they "break away" from the universities. No way are the schools going to let that gravy train leave the station. I guess they could be "clubs" of the schools. It would be totally separate from the Olympic sports associated with the school (including even M basketball probably).

Old 07-13-2022, 06:39 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Things stopped being in the best interest of a student-athlete LONG ago.
Being capable of doing schoolwork above the middle school level if you're a collegiate athlete has vanished year's ago. It used to be if you were incapable of meeting the college entrance requirements you had to go the juco route. It's hardly ever necessary now. Wonder why.

I don't think we're too far from these athletes not even being required to go to class. They just represent the school and collect a paycheck. As we near that point, what difference does it make what conference any school plays in. Gather together the schools possessing the most athletic dollars and make conferences that way. The cutoffs between each conference can be all about money and have nothing to do with regional locations. What I just stated sounds crazy, but really--is it?

Old 07-13-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The players deserve and should get a piece of this money pie...this can basically be the NFL's minor league like it really is.[
Not going to get into that....

Quote:
The next logical step then is to drop the whole "student athlete" guise; they would be athletes.... professional too. So then what is the point of them being affiliated with a school/university? Do they "break away" from the universities. No way are the schools going to let that gravy train leave the station. I guess they could be "clubs" of the schools. It would be totally separate from the Olympic sports associated with the school (including even M basketball probably).
drop the student...then they should not be in college, period. Which means no affiliation with the school/university. Might as well open up the minimum age for the NFL

Quote:
Being capable of doing schoolwork above the middle school level if you're a collegiate athlete has vanished year's ago. It used to be if you were incapable of meeting the college entrance requirements you had to go the juco route. It's hardly ever necessary now. Wonder why.

I don't think we're too far from these athletes not even being required to go to class. They just represent the school and collect a paycheck. As we near that point, what difference does it make what conference any school plays in. Gather together the schools possessing the most athletic dollars and make conferences that way. The cutoffs between each conference can be all about money and have nothing to do with regional locations. What I just stated sounds crazy, but really--is it?
Not crazy, but we are technically already there. You actually think the majority of these guys go to class? They don't. They were being "paid" long before NIL became legal. Every once in a while you hear about an academic scandal from a school, but that is only because someone decided to be the whistle blower. It happens at EVERY school. You think 90% of the athletes care about going to class? Nope. And they know they can get a way with it because of the "support/resources" athletes have to help them stay on track.

Conferences themselves stopped being regional years ago. It is all about what can bring the most eyeballs and money. College sports needs to go the same way of politics...

Blow it all up and start from the beginning with people who actually CARE about what it is supposed to mean.

Last edited by ctousley819; 07-13-2022 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football