Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 06:05 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Actually there is talk of GT going to the Big Ten.

https://247sports.com/college/clemso...q50oW7oPRw8Q-c

Quote:
“Clemson, Florida State and Miami may be eyeing the SEC, but how do they get out,” Dodd said. “I talked to one source last night who told me it would cost ACC teams, right now, $500 million to get out of the current deal. That’s going to be kind of hard to finance.”

Again. ACC teams aren't going anywhere.

At least right now.

I put this like the talk that Dabo will go to Alabama when Saban retires. Nope.

Why would you do that? You've built a top program, basically from the ground up at Clemson, you've put your culture in place there, it's working. He goes to Alabama, he succeeds.. Well, he inherited a top tier program, he should. He falters.. They'll be calling for his head. Makes no sense to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 04:32 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

At least right now.

I put this like the talk that Dabo will go to Alabama when Saban retires. Nope.

Why would you do that? You've built a top program, basically from the ground up at Clemson, you've put your culture in place there, it's working. He goes to Alabama, he succeeds.. Well, he inherited a top tier program, he should. He falters.. They'll be calling for his head. Makes no sense to do that.
You guys also said Brent Venables wasn't going anywhere LOL.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:38 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
I don't want to see the ACC split up as some are speculating will happen. Forget football. I grew up watching the ACC basketball back when it was just eight teams. I cannot imagine North Carolina not being in the ACC

Old 07-10-2022, 05:27 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't want to see the ACC split up as some are speculating will happen. Forget football. I grew up watching the ACC basketball back when it was just eight teams. I cannot imagine North Carolina not being in the ACC
I'm sure many UCLA fans are thinking the same thing, with them not being in the Pac-8/10/12 come 2024, yet here we are!

Old 07-10-2022, 03:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm sure many UCLA fans are thinking the same thing, with them not being in the Pac-8/10/12 come 2024, yet here we are!
Fair point. I do not like where we are with realignment.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:56 AM

387 posts, read 352,308 times
Quote:

At least right now.

No one said they are going any where right now...but sooner than most probably think. The wheels are in motion. Rumors are going to be all over the place just like when Texas/OU left the Big 12. Only this time there is actually something to some of them...

Old 07-11-2022, 09:17 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
If someone on this board had said only two months ago that USC and UCLA would be joining the Big Ten, they would have been laughed into oblivion, and completely destroyed with perfectly sound and logical retorts. Why would the two prizes of the PAC leave, it makes no sense for them to travel across the country, the B1G would make it harder to get into the CFP, too much history, etc. The writing was on the wall when Texas and OU joined the SEC. But I guess it was easy to explain that one away with geography. After USC and UCLA now agreeing to join the B1G, you have to be absolutely naive or in flat out denial to believe that any conference is safe.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:20 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Rutgers and Vanderbilt are in a better place than Cal and Oklahoma State. This is the evidence that the sport is broken. The NCAA is the ultimate culprit, because they have never stood up and protected the interest of the whole system. They've allowed college sports to cannibalize itself, and for money to rule the day.

I can't image a world where my Mountaineers (who are among the winningest college programs in both football and basketball) are left out because the state of WV only has 1.8 million people. WVU has always overachieved given their state's size and economic conditions. The West Virginia brand is a far bigger brand than schools like Rutgers, Perdue, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Northwestern, etc... However, those schools will get grandfathered into a new "super conference" setup. Meanwhile, places that really care about college sports like Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, NC State, Arizona State, and West Virginia will get left out for reasons beyond their control.

I'm all for capitalism, but this is greed beyond reproach!
What helps WVU is that the university is not that far from the Pittsburgh area. So, it isn't too far from a pretty major metro area, with a couple of others being within a few hours or so(Cleveland and DC).

Old 07-11-2022, 09:32 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
No one said they are going any where right now...but sooner than most probably think. The wheels are in motion. Rumors are going to be all over the place just like when Texas/OU left the Big 12. Only this time there is actually something to some of them...

I believe they're locked in until around 2036.. So.. Yeah.. LOTS of things could change by that point. Including who is in the SEC and Big10.

And, some of the ACC programs may step up by then.. Boston College, Syracuse, FSU, Virginia Tech and UNC have all had excellent programs in the past and could show up again. For that matter, even Georgia Tech has in the past, thought that program has tumbled so far it's difficult to see it returning to top form anytime soon

Strictly speaking towards Football here.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:31 AM

387 posts, read 352,308 times
Quote:
I believe they're locked in until around 2036.. So.. Yeah.. LOTS of things could change by that point. Including who is in the SEC and Big10.

And, some of the ACC programs may step up by then.. Boston College, Syracuse, FSU, Virginia Tech and UNC have all had excellent programs in the past and could show up again. For that matter, even Georgia Tech has in the past, thought that program has tumbled so far it's difficult to see it returning to top form anytime soon

Strictly speaking towards Football here.
As it stands today...yes locked in until 2036. However, ESPN and FOX (and NBC to an extend with ND) are driving expansion at this point.

It will take a few years, but I fully expect either the dissolution of the ACC or a release of some teams with "lower" teams coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football