Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 08:55 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Now I heard this from one of the talking heads on TV and as we all know their opinions change every 30 seconds, but one guy said that there is no way Oregon is going to the Big 10. Not now. While the school is well funded and does well sportswise, the school is in a relatively small TV market so they wont bring much additional revenue to any conference they go to. Their best bet was to be part of a package deal to go along with USC and UCLA, but that didnt happen. So being a solo school looking for a conference isnt going to be the slam dunk everyone (including me) thought it would be. I also read somewhere that the governor of the state is going to force them to take Oregon State with them wherever they end up (or it mght have been Washington, cant' remember now) so that makes it even less appealing.
Its hard to say whats going on behind the scenes. The TX/OK move as well as UCLA/USC took everyone by surprise. My guess is Oregon was not even told beforehand. Now there is all this chatter about the next shoe to drop. I think its more about writing stories people will read than actually having anything factual.

Its funny how UCLA can bolt out of the conference leaving Cal behind being that they are both UC schools but Oregon or Washington cannot do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 10:34 AM

387 posts, read 352,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its hard to say whats going on behind the scenes. The TX/OK move as well as UCLA/USC took everyone by surprise. My guess is Oregon was not even told beforehand. Now there is all this chatter about the next shoe to drop. I think its more about writing stories people will read than actually having anything factual.

Its funny how UCLA can bolt out of the conference leaving Cal behind being that they are both UC schools but Oregon or Washington cannot do the same.
It is all just chatter, and 99% of what is being talked about won't happen (at least in the way that it is being talked about). So much is at stake for every school that what is really going on is under lock and key...any "real" leak can and will jeopardize it all for them.

As far as UCLA breaking out...funny isn't it? But isn't it better to ask for forgiveness then approval? Oregon being forced to take OSU reminds me of the original ACC expansion. It was supposed to be BC, Miami, and Syracuse to the ACC. However, Virginia government got involved and forced UVA to vote no on Syracuse so that an invite could be extended to VT.

College football is no longer about the game. It is about the politics, eyeballs, and $. Stupid that state officials can get involved over athletic conferences.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:03 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
It is all just chatter, and 99% of what is being talked about won't happen (at least in the way that it is being talked about). So much is at stake for every school that what is really going on is under lock and key...any "real" leak can and will jeopardize it all for them.

As far as UCLA breaking out...funny isn't it? But isn't it better to ask for forgiveness then approval? Oregon being forced to take OSU reminds me of the original ACC expansion. It was supposed to be BC, Miami, and Syracuse to the ACC. However, Virginia government got involved and forced UVA to vote no on Syracuse so that an invite could be extended to VT.

College football is no longer about the game. It is about the politics, eyeballs, and $. Stupid that state officials can get involved over athletic conferences.
Although my team (OU) is leaving the Big XII...

I am really hoping the Big XII will get those west coast teams. I would really enjoy watching some of those teams play without having to stay up till 1 AM all the time. I have tried and tried to make it through those Pac 12 after dark games and I always fall asleep. They would have more of their games aired during the day and early evenings if they were in the Big XII.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
As I said, the Dinky Dozen should grab the Arizona schools at the very least.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:01 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
As I said, the Dinky Dozen should grab the Arizona schools at the very least.
As much as it pains me to say this as a TCU alum, even if the Big 12 could land all of the remaining PAC 12 schools it still wouldn’t be able to compete with either the SEC or the Big 10. You need at least one blue blood school in your conference, and we don’t have any. That’s the sad part of all this. Every conference used to have at least one if not more blue bloods that would draw even the casual fan to watch; USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, Notre Dame and half a dozen SEC schools, but the “wealth†for lack of a better term was spread around to everyone which also made the bowl games must see TV when good matchups appeared. Now all that’s gone since most of the blue bloods are in 2 conferences. I honestly see bowl games going the way of the dodo. There will be little point having them.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
As much as it pains me to say this as a TCU alum, even if the Big 12 could land all of the remaining PAC 12 schools it still wouldn’t be able to compete with either the SEC or the Big 10. You need at least one blue blood school in your conference, and we don’t have any. That’s the sad part of all this. Every conference used to have at least one if not more blue bloods that would draw even the casual fan to watch; USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, Notre Dame and half a dozen SEC schools, but the “wealth†for lack of a better term was spread around to everyone which also made the bowl games must see TV when good matchups appeared. Now all that’s gone since most of the blue bloods are in 2 conferences. I honestly see bowl games going the way of the dodo. There will be little point having them.
As others have mentioned, the intrigue around Bowl Games died a long time ago. When they started letting .500 teams in was the first nail. It watered down bowl games so that they were pretty meaningless. Almost any team could get into a bottom tier bowl game. Then when the playoffs started, there were only a few that really mattered. Then more recently, players have opted to sit out if they were not in the playoffs. Bowl Games fell off and went "the way of the dodo" years ago.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:12 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As others have mentioned, the intrigue around Bowl Games died a long time ago. When they started letting .500 teams in was the first nail. It watered down bowl games so that they were pretty meaningless. Almost any team could get into a bottom tier bowl game. Then when the playoffs started, there were only a few that really mattered. Then more recently, players have opted to sit out if they were not in the playoffs. Bowl Games fell off and went "the way of the dodo" years ago.
Yeah not disagreeing with you, but the New Years bowls still mattered as that was where most of the high profile games were on. But yeah, definitely not missing all the nobodycares.com bowls that are out there.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:29 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

I'm not in on the politics so I am wondering forced by who to remain in a conference package?

While both Cal and UCLA are part of the same state school system in sports their main rivalries go towards the regional private schools Stanford and USC. Not the other big University of California campus or the other 7 campuses not in the bigger athletic conferences to begin with..

Old 07-28-2022, 08:36 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I'm not in on the politics so I am wondering forced by who to remain in a conference package?

While both Cal and UCLA are part of the same state school system in sports their main rivalries go towards the regional private schools Stanford and USC. Not the other big University of California campus or the other 7 campuses not in the bigger athletic conferences to begin with..

California has 10 UC schools. I would imagine that Oregon and Washington just have the two main schools in their system.

Hard to tell UCLA that they need to take UC Santa Cruz to the big 10 with them.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:19 AM

812 posts, read 833,037 times
Thoughts on UNC? Lot of people talking about "attractiveness" of Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Florida State; but, I think UNC is kind of a sleeper and could be very attractive to both BIG10 and SEC.

It is a national brand (thanks to Duke rivalry and Michael Jordan). I went to Chicago-land area a month ago and was out and about, in the suburbs, and noticed a number of people with UNC "garb" (caps, shirts, Jordan Jerseys). I don't think the Jordan-Bulls-UNC connection... is unique to Chicago (though certainly heightened here in Bulls home City). I mean, Jordan is one of the most popular and recognizable athletes, in any sport, in the world...... still. I mean, I bet you go to Shanghai and you will see some Jordan Jerseys being worn -if you keep your eyes open for that "Carolina Blue". The Carolina (UNC) "brand" is familiar to many already and is very marketable (made more familiar) I think.

North Carolina is one of the more populated states and is growing.....fast -speared by Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. How many people moving to Muncie Indiana? Lots of young families starting here -d/t jobs and affordability. Lots of kids in the next gen going to grow up in Tar Heel nation. So, lots of current "eye-balls" now (for the TV stuff).... and growing!

IMHO, better fit for BIG 10 d/t strong Academics (AAU status) and also very strong Olympic sports. Both of these seem more valued in BIG10. UNC regularly finishes top 5 in the NACDA Directors' Cup -which ranks the overall success of all NCAA sports combined for any given University. It finishes up there with Michigan, Stanford, and Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football