Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,977 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Is it ok to ask that your Prof call you Mr. and your last name? I do not like being addressed by my first name.

Last edited by Datafeed; 11-03-2013 at 10:46 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
You can try. I wouldn't call one my students Mr. LastName. I would offer to address them by just their last name if they don't like their first name. For example, I was agree to call you "feed" instead of "Mr. feed". If you hold some rank (Dr, Colonel, etc.), I'll be willing to address you as such.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM

that's even more disrespectful. i would not call my professor Dick and he should not call me Dave. There is nothing wrong with Prof. Smith and Mr. Smith in the classroom. First names are for peers in an informal setting. i don't like such familiarity...my rank is Mr. Just as your's is Prof.

or they can not address me at all....it really irks me but i do not wish to be rude about my demand so i must couch it carefully.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
that's even more disrespectful. i would not call my professor Dick and he should not call me Dave. There is nothing wrong with Prof. Smith and Mr. Smith in the classroom. First names are for peers in an informal setting. i don't like such familiarity...my rank is Mr. Just as your's is Prof.

or they can not address me at all....it really irks me but i do not wish to be rude about my demand so i must couch it carefully.
It is highly unusual for a prof to address a student by their Surname. I also think that calling profs by their first name is much more common then Dr. _______ but maybe that is regional. Quite honestly, wanting to be called Mr. Datafeed is kind of pretentious and probably won't put you in good standing with your profs, whom you will need down the road for job recommendations, etc. Gaining that familiarity is a good thing if you want a job some day .

Also, you don't have a "rank". You did nothing to earn your title of Mr. Sorry.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Um.
Hm.

Why do you care?
Seems odd.
And I am an oddly formal person.

I don't get all these things. I have an M.D. and I don't even get bent over people not calling me, "Doctor Stan4."
It's like...geez, get over yourself.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is highly unusual for a prof to address a student by their Surname. I also think that calling profs by their first name is much more common then Dr. _______ but maybe that is regional. Quite honestly, wanting to be called Mr. Datafeed is kind of pretentious and probably won't put you in good standing with your profs, whom you will need down the road for job recommendations, etc. Gaining that familiarity is a good thing if you want a job some day .

No, I am not familiar with them--read first name basis--and they are not familiar with me. Not every prof has a PHd.

I am not asking you if it would make them uncomfortable to use proper manners. I assume, if I requested it they would have to comply.

Mr. is not a rank; it is formal manner of address.

I read a journal of higher ed forum on the matter and it appears that if one pays 46k a year for an education he is entitled to be called Mr.

If my prof addresses me by my first name I shall reciprocate.

I am not the typical student: I am veteran, former contractor who lost his hand serving his country, and in my early 30s.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Now when I went to catholic school I was always addressed Miss _______ would you please answer the question and they never forgot to put the Miss in front of our last name and we never forgot to address the nuns as sister and then their name . I rather think that was proper back then . I dont know where we lost civility towards each other but I think you are not wrong to want to be addressed as such .

Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um.
Hm.

Why do you care?
Seems odd.
And I am an oddly formal person.

I don't get all these things. I have an M.D. and I don't even get bent over people not calling me, "Doctor Stan4."
It's like...geez, get over yourself.
not the point, imagine if you were a black person whose ancestors had been called boy and by their first name until the late 1960s. if your grandpa who was lynched and called boy (and worse) told you never to be called by your first name by anyone other than your brothers, sisters, and parents, and perhaps closet friends what would you do.

what you want to be called and what i want to be called are not the same. is that a bad thing?

I assume if I told a professor this he would comply rather quickly..espcailly if one was polite and addressed him formally.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
not the point, imagine if you were a black person whose ancestors had been called boy and by their first name until the late 1960s. if your grandpa who was lynched and called boy (and worse) told you never to be called by your first name by anyone other than your brothers, sisters, and parents, and perhaps closet friends what would you do.

what you want to be called and what i want to be called are not the same. is that a bad thing?

I assume if I told a professor this he would comply rather quickly..espcailly if one was polite and addressed him formally.
I don't dispute your right to your preferences, but this sounds more like a chip on your shoulders than a concern about manners.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't dispute your right to your preferences, but this sounds more like a chip on your shoulders than a concern about manners.
^^^^agree. I'm not even sure if it's regional (maybe it is) but I wonder if the OP is originally from the
US. If not, it could be a cultural issue. Either way, it does sound like a superiority complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities